Type 2 Sweet stuff

ChristieM

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have just read again that as a diabetic you need to ween yourself off sweet stuff. I don’t eat that much sweet stuff myself but I just don’t get why you shouldn’t eat, for example, cake made with Erythritol and almond flour if you want to. The recipe I have is very low carb for a decent slice. As a matter of interest can someone explain the rationale behind this?

thanks.

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I bake keto sweet stuff. This is a diet for life so I have to be able to include the odd treat. I think, for me, having ditched the sugar my taste for sweetness has diminished, what I bake now is considerably less sweet than before.

Also, I believe that for some people using some sweetners, the sweet taste alone is enough to raise BG - diet fizzy drinks, for example. And in general, sweetness and carb cravings go hand in hand, ditching one helps with overcoming the other. However after 5 months on LCHF I don’t really have carb cravings any more and I can enjoy a bit of keto cake without triggering either a rise in BG or the urge to scarf down the whole thing :cat:.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Apparently the reasoning is that it keeps you craving all the high carb/sugar sweet stuff, but I've found the opposite - if I could bake low carb cake, bread, etc I no longer had any desire for the carby versions. And you're eating all good low carb foods, nuts, butter, eggs... I've done this successfully since I started low carbing over six years ago. So give it a try and see how you get on.

ChristieM

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you. I agree with you! I love cake and I do low carb baking. But not every day! Or even every week and I find the odd home made low carb cake or cookie satisfies my desires for a little deliciousness. I’m so pleased to hear I’m not alone