Sweet tooth options

lotuslight

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I just wondered if anyone has any suggestions for chocolate cravings or cakes etc that won’t massively hike blood sugars.

Unfortunately I can’t stand dark chocolate so that is not an option for me.

Thank you

• Hug
Reactions: EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
hypos and forum bugs
Hi I just wondered if anyone has any suggestions for chocolate cravings or cakes etc that won’t massively hike blood sugars.

Thank you
How long have you been low carbing? Personally I find that sugar carvings take 1 or 2 weeks to fade....

If dark chocolate isn't an option you might want to consider artificial sweeteners. My husband makes a glorious ice cream by blending cream, Greek yoghort, frozen berries and a small amount of splenda....

But honestly, once you've been low carbing for a while, a (very) small amount of sweetener goes a very long way.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Sorry to be a little blunt @lotuslight you don't have a sweet tooth, you have a sugar addiction.
I know sweet tooth sounds nicer but if you crave anything , tobacco, alcohol, drugs or chocolate you are addicted.
The only way to beat an addiction is to just stop having whatever it is you are craving .
Easier said than done I know, for me it was as difficult as giving up smoking. Sugar is extremely addictive, that's why food manufacturers add it to everything they can, it keeps us going back for more.

JTF04

Hi Lotuslight. What's been said above is quite right and probably best way to go. If however like me you aren't quite ready for that yet look at something like Nicks bars or Misfits. Like all keto friendly things they are expensive for what they are so maybe long term that will help us want to give up the sweet substitutes! I've also found sukrin gold a better sugar substitute for baking. Doesn't have as bad an aftertaste as some sweetners have. Good luck!

Reactions: lotuslight

ravensmitten

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I was only talking about this the other day with someone on here, couldn't stand the stuff before I made a shift to a low carb way of eating.

I really like it as a rare thing now, (might depend on brand though, only had a little lindt 80% since) although I mainly get my sugar fix from a handful of berries and cream/yoghurt mostly nowadays, which I can handle without affecting bgs.

lotuslight

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How long have you been low carbing? Personally I find that sugar carvings take 1 or 2 weeks to fade....

If dark chocolate isn't an option you might want to consider artificial sweeteners. My husband makes a glorious ice cream by blending cream, Greek yoghort, frozen berries and a small amount of splenda....

But honestly, once you've been low carbing for a while, a (very) small amount of sweetener goes a very long way.

Oh wow that sounds amazing I will try that!

lotuslight

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was only talking about this the other day with someone on here, couldn't stand the stuff before I made a shift to a low carb way of eating.

I really like it as a rare thing now, (might depend on brand though, only had a little lindt 80% since) although I mainly get my sugar fix from a handful of berries and cream/yoghurt mostly nowadays, which I can handle without affecting bgs.

Maybe my taste buds will change too fingers crossed

Reactions: lorib64

lotuslight

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Lotuslight. What's been said above is quite right and probably best way to go. If however like me you aren't quite ready for that yet look at something like Nicks bars or Misfits. Like all keto friendly things they are expensive for what they are so maybe long term that will help us want to give up the sweet substitutes! I've also found sukrin gold a better sugar substitute for baking. Doesn't have as bad an aftertaste as some sweetners have. Good luck!

Thank you :)

D

Deleted member 475901

I've not got rid of my sweet tooth, I suspect I have a genetic variant as even avoiding sweets for a while doesn't get rid of it.

There is more than one gene involved but eg:
and: https://www.corelifeeatery.com/have...keup,individuals to experience certain tastes.

I manage with no sugar added sweetened foods, eg or fake rhubarb crumble, or with 85% chocolate melted with warm cream and a little sweetener - either set as chocolate or add more cream for pudding.

lotuslight

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've not got rid of my sweet tooth, I suspect I have a genetic variant as even avoiding sweets for a while doesn't get rid of it.

There is more than one gene involved but eg:
and: https://www.corelifeeatery.com/have...keup,individuals to experience certain tastes.

I manage with no sugar added sweetened foods, eg or fake rhubarb crumble, or with 85% chocolate melted with warm cream and a little sweetener - either set as chocolate or add more cream for pudding.

Thank you for the info does the dark chocolate not raise your levels at all pls?

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I cut right down on all sugary stuff when I was diagnosed with T2. However, I like baking and discovered alternative sweeteners - erythritol and stevia, which I now use for this plus sweetening other things too. I've learned to like dark chocolate but 85% is the best I can manage.

My body seems to be able to distinguish between real sugar (which I no longer like o_O:yuck:) and my alternative sweetener choices which I have no problems with. And only time I've actually craved real sugar was when I had a few minor false hypos early on after my diagnosis.

lorib64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Maybe my taste buds will change too fingers crossed

I think they will. I have been low carb/keto for a few months. I did get cravings at first, but not so much anymore. Sometimes, something salty will help me. I do use artificial sweeteners. I make a sugar free chocolate mousse on occasion and my friend just gave me a skinny syrup I can add to coffee or coconut milk yogurt. I also used to get hungry at night. Now, I am able to fast 16:8 and not feel hungry,

KS260400

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Thank you
Me and my dad buy low sugar treats from a brand called skinny food , definitely check them out they have really yummy stuff!

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yeah, @lotuslight, I'm no fan of dark chocolate either. My suggestion - find your natural sweetener, or even artificial sweetener, of choice, ie one that does not spike you or cause gastro intestinal disaster - there's lots of choice. Then find a milk chocolate that is sweetened with your diabetic-friendly product of choice. There are lots out there to choose from. Eat and meter to make sure all is good in the blood glucose department, and then, my guess is you will become a loyal purhaser of said milk chocolate. I know I am of my favourite stevia sweetened brand of milk chocolate. Mine is called 'Well Naturally' and comes in a variety of flavours. My fave is coconut delight.

Reactions: RoughcutAU

RoughcutAU

Yeah, @lotuslight, I'm no fan of dark chocolate either. My suggestion - find your natural sweetener, or even artificial sweetener, of choice, ie one that does not spike you or cause gastro intestinal disaster - there's lots of choice. Then find a milk chocolate that is sweetened with your diabetic-friendly product of choice. There are lots out there to choose from. Eat and meter to make sure all is good in the blood glucose department, and then, my guess is you will become a loyal purhaser of said milk chocolate. I know I am of my favourite stevia sweetened brand of milk chocolate. Mine is called 'Well Naturally' and comes in a variety of flavours. My fave is coconut delight.

I second for the ‘Well Naturally’ brand. My go to is the Honeycomb but have tried and liked a few of the flavours. For me I could eat a whole block without requiring a bolus however I limit myself to 2-4 squares if i feel like abit of chocolate.

I find though I had to do alot of testing with sweetener products - some still had a dramatic effect on my BGLs.

Reactions: AloeSvea