Sweeteners making BG rise

I’m so confused... I’ve just had the libre fitted and I can see now that sweeteners are causing my BG levels to spike.... I thought sweeteners weren’t supposed to effect levels?! Has any one else had this?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Lydiagoodman93

It seems to be a very personal thing. I’m fine with erythritol and xylitol but anything else - especially maltitol - do make my sugars rise. Sometimes significantly. That’s one of the values of the Libre, picking up things that may be missed by finger pricks.

Reactions: oldgreymare

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I’m so confused... I’ve just had the libre fitted and I can see now that sweeteners are causing my BG levels to spike.... I thought sweeteners weren’t supposed to effect levels?! Has any one else had this?

Hi @Lydiagoodman93
Firstly, it's important to know what your 'sweeteners' are made from. I say this because I once had a massive spike from a sweetener that was presented at a hotel breakfast table. Turned out to be dextrose and I hadn't read the label.

I've seen many posts from people who've written that sweeteners have made them high. Some people just seem to react badly to them.