sweetners

rod smith

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I`ve been a T2 diabetic 40+ years , I have read a lot about sweeteners but in my view truvia is expensive. far better to go onto Amazon / Grocery type in stevia , It pops up stevia crystals priced £9 for a kilo . you don`t need more than a quarter tea spoon to replace 1 teaspoon. this is so much cheaper than artificial sweeteners , and lasts a long time Thats me done. Regards Roddas

Reactions: Aly67 and Prem51

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think we are all different when it comes to sweeteners.

I find stevia has a very weird aftertaste - maybe my tastebuds, of course. And I love erythritol for its total lack of impact on my digestive tract (no gas) and blood glucose (no impact). It is just a pity about the price.

Last edited:

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Stevia and erythritol are both considered to be the safest sweeteners for diabetic use, as they won't either raise glucose levels or cause gastric issues, and are what I'd consider to be "alternative" rather than artificial sweeteners, and the only ones that I'll use.

I've used both an erythritol/stevia mix, and pure stevia drops and don't have any issue with glucose levels, or with taste - but stevia is extremely sweet and can be a bit weird if you overdo the drops. There are different varieties of the stevia plant and the more expensive stevia rebaudiana is supposed to have no unpleasant aftertaste. Also for the real purists you can buy either green stevia - the ground up leaf, or buy the seeds and grow your own plants and I think there's been a post about someone doing this. There also appears to be some research that suggests that stevia may be helpful with diabetic insulin issues.

Xylitol is another sweetener that is considered safe for diabetic use, but it is also extremely toxic to dogs, so not safe if you have them in the house.

There are various comparison tables and plenty of information regarding pros and cons for different types of sweeteners on the web, so have a good Google for more details.

Robbity

Reactions: Brunneria

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Stevia and erythritol are both considered to be the safest sweeteners for diabetic use, as they won't either raise glucose levels or cause gastric issues, and are what I'd consider to be "alternative" rather than artificial sweeteners, and the only ones that I'll use.

I've used both an erythritol/stevia mix, and pure stevia drops and don't have any issue with glucose levels, or with taste - but stevia is extremely sweet and can be a bit weird if you overdo the drops. There are different varieties of the stevia plant and the more expensive stevia rebaudiana is supposed to have no unpleasant aftertaste. Also for the real purists you can buy either green stevia - the ground up leaf, or buy the seeds and grow your own plants and I think there's been a post about someone doing this. There also appears to be some research that suggests that stevia may be helpful with diabetic insulin issues.

Xylitol is another sweetener that is considered safe for diabetic use, but it is also extremely toxic to dogs, so not safe if you have them in the house.

There are various comparison tables and plenty of information regarding pros and cons for different types of sweeteners on the web, so have a good Google for more details.

Robbity

If anyone can grow stevia in the uk do tell me the secret. I've tried several times without success.