Sweets prohibited at entertainment venues

Lucasrfwatts

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Entertainment venues prohibiting sweets
They shou;d be ashamed of themselves. I hope they provide a meaningful gesture.
I’ve not sent the letter yet but the current version suggests they reimburse me the costs of 2 gig tickets, 2 return train tickets from Sheffield and hotel room for 2 nights (amounts to over £300). May seek legal advice depending on their response. I also want them to take steps to ensure this doesn’t happen to other diabetics.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Bridlington Spa security wouldn’t let me take my hypo sweets into a gig there last week. It was very distressing and I am going to send them a formal complaint letter.
I would send a letter of complaint and request training of their security staff as this is potentially very dangerous. However, unless it meant you were not able to attend the gig, I am not convinced requesting compensation is justified. I do, however, agree to ensure this does not happen to anyone else who may suffer hypos.

It is one of the reasons why I do not use standard “sweets” for hypo treatment and use Lift GlucoTabs as they look medical.

As I use an insulin pump, I carry a syringe as a back up in case my pump fails. I wonder how the security would respond to that.

Reactions: RickV

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Bridlington Spa security wouldn’t let me take my hypo sweets into a gig there last week. It was very distressing and I am going to send them a formal complaint letter.
Hi,

Wow. I’m sorry you experienced this. We’re you carrying any other diabetic kit with you?

Most gigs I’ve met with security, has usually just been a “run over” with a hand held metal detector?
Bags can get searched, however. I pocket the basics.

Lucasrfwatts

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I will put sweets in my pockets in future. Shouldn’t have to though. I had insulin with me, blood test kit, Libre sensor on my arm and Libre reader. They weren’t interested.

• Hug
Reactions: ziggy_w and Antje77

Lucasrfwatts

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I would send a letter of complaint and request training of their security staff as this is potentially very dangerous. However, unless it meant you were not able to attend the gig, I am not convinced requesting compensation is justified. I do, however, agree to ensure this does not happen to anyone else who may suffer hypos.

It is one of the reasons why I do not use standard “sweets” for hypo treatment and use Lift GlucoTabs as they look medical.

As I use an insulin pump, I carry a syringe as a back up in case my pump fails. I wonder how the security would respond to that.
It significantly affected my enjoyment of the gig and it spoiled the planned weekend in Bridlington significantly!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So they are classing sweets as food. hmmm

It certainly sounds like the old chestnut, “only food & drink bought on the premises can be consumed here.?”
I’m just surprised security didn’t deem any needles a “weapon.” (Scrolling through the T&Cs again. If it was visually seen on a search?)

The last venue I attended had a clearer definition on what they would not allow. Hence I left my chained wallet at home, keeping my card in a zipped pocket, my “emergencies” (sweets.) & pen in a leg pocket in combats. & my phone.

I complied with the metal detector by wearing a webbing belt so as not to trigger anything with a buckle. Or studs..
The pen, I gambled wouldn’t register anymore than a button… (mainly alloy?)

Not very “rock & roll” at a Rammstein gig. But there you go..

Redvee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've been to numerous theatres in the last 18 months and not had any issues at security with food and drink. My OH has always got snacks, lucozade and sweets in her bag and mention my diabetes if asked.

arkle

This IS a form of discrimination & the management, should make their security staff, both employed & contractors aware of this. Up to 10% of the population is diabetic & venues are or should be aware, that up to 2% of their customers are disabled in some way & they have to take this into account, with differing facilities.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Whatever their terms and conditions they cannot use these to refuse a reasonable adjustment under our Equality laws.
As the venue comes under the council I would send a formal complaint directly to them instead of the venue.

Dieter10

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
I had the same thing happen at a venue in Berlin! I had to leave 1/2 way through the concert, it was very distressing

Ursus 262

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If security do not accept your explanation of your need to carry the sweets, and prevent entry to the event, then that is in direct contravention of the Equality Act 2010. Your first course of action would be to write to the venue and the promotes and submit a claim for losses. The Citizens' Advice website has more information.