Swimming with 640g

Nometype1andproud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I need to start swimming to shift some weight, I've always disconnected prior to swimming, is this technically necessary or have people had good experiences of swimming with their 640g?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Nometype1andproud My last pump was a 640g and despite it being waterproofed I never kept it connected, I think I was slightly self conscious of wearing it, as I was only in the pool for around 30-40 mins so could do a top up afterwards, however even with disconnecting I still went low a few times, I always thought it was down to the pool temperature being cool and my body was using glucose to stay warm. I always kept my glucose and meter at poolside so within easy reach.

Nometype1andproud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes I usually do that just wondered if anyone had done it successfully I have a camera bag I could try and seal most of it bar the tiny bit of tube I suppose I tend to run high when swimming so wanted to keep it on if I could

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm not a swimmer so can't share any personal experience but at a pump training session there was a lady with a 640g and said she went swimming with hers on. Do you have any particular concerns about swimming with it on?
Edited to say: I've just seen Medtronic say to remove your pump for swimming, so I see now why you're questioning whether it's necessary, sorry :bag:

Last edited:

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
From what I understand it’s got an IPX8 rating which means it can be submerged below 1meter.. the exact depth and time will be in the manual

However if it was me I’d rather disconnect if the swim session was less than an hour