Type 1 Swimming with Libre 2 - risk of hypo

NewToLADA

Hello! I’m looking to start swimming and have bought some waterproof patches to wear over my Libre 2 sensor. However I’m nervous of having a hypo in the pool and not getting an alarm from my Libre because my phone would be in my locker. I’m looking for advice about what other people do to give them confidence to swim? Thanks

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
People with diabetes have been swimming (and doing other exercise) for decades before the advent of CGMs without hypoing.
As with all exercise, you need to work out what impact it has on your levels and learn how to manage it.
To be honest, when exercising, if my levels are to drop, this happens way too fast for any CGM to catch it in time so I prepare in advance.

If you think your levels are going to drop, either eat something before you start or reduce your bolus on your last meal.
After swimming review your Libre graph and learn what happens to your levels (they may go up) and then adapt your management to cater for it.

For example, I am a climber, it is not advised to carry my phone with me in case I drop it or fall on it. I have learned that climbing causes my levels to climb with me so I take more insulin and review my levels every 30 to 60 minutes.

What gives me confidence? Experience.
Hopefully, as someone newly diagnosed you are hypo aware so you will notice when your levels start to fall (as you would if your Libre fails ... because technology does fail) and you can handle it.

The other thing that can give you confidence is to have someone with you. They could either be in the water or, if possible, in your pool watching and can call upon the life guard if you get into trouble whether it is diabetes related or not.

My advice is to learn to be able to cope without technology. It's fantastic when it works but it can fail. It never fails at a convenient time. But it is less stressful if you have practiced it such as when swimming.

Last edited:

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
Don't you feel the waves when your bg drops? I'm shaking so much that I wake up in the middle of the night without libre:hilarious:

NewToLADA

Thank you both, unfortunately I can be hypo-unaware so I’m nervous of relying on me knowing that my sugars are dropping without my Libre. Just before I got my Libre I ended up on the floor on the road side with my 2 very young children with my bloods below 2 and me not being able to think straight, which has really knocked my confidence with exercise to the point I’m hardly moving at the moment, but that is taking a toll on my mental health so I want to get back into exercising but feel very intimidated by it - and I feel like diabetes is controlling my life, which is not how I want to feel :-/

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
People with diabetes have been swimming (and doing other exercise) for decades before the advent of CGMs without hypoing.
As with all exercise, you need to work out what impact it has on your levels and learn how to manage it.
To be honest, when exercising, if my levels are to drop, this happens way too fast for any CGM to catch it in time so I prepare in advance.

If you think your levels are going to drop, either eat something before you start or reduce your bolus on your last meal.
After swimming review your Libre graph and learn what happens to your levels (they may go up) and then adapt your management to cater for it.

For example, I am a climber, it is not advised to carry my phone with me in case I drop it or fall on it. I have learned that climbing causes my levels to climb with me so I take more insulin and review my levels every 30 to 60 minutes.

What gives me confidence? Experience.
Hopefully, as someone newly diagnosed you are hypo aware so you will notice when your levels start to fall (as you would if your Libre fails ... because technology does fail) and you can handle it.

The other thing that can give you confidence is to have someone with you. They could either be in the water or, if possible, in your pool watching and can call upon the life guard if you get into trouble whether it is diabetes related or not.

My advice is to learn to be able to cope without technology. It's fantastic when it works but it can fail. It never fails at a convenient time. But it is less stressful if you have practiced it such as when swimming.

I've never needed help from a life guard, but if I'm swimming alone I always tell them I'm T1 and where my glucose is at the side of the pool.

Reactions: In Response

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Thank you both, unfortunately I can be hypo-unaware so I’m nervous of relying on me knowing that my sugars are dropping without my Libre. Just before I got my Libre I ended up on the floor on the road side with my 2 very young children with my bloods below 2 and me not being able to think straight, which has really knocked my confidence with exercise to the point I’m hardly moving at the moment, but that is taking a toll on my mental health so I want to get back into exercising but feel very intimidated by it - and I feel like diabetes is controlling my life, which is not how I want to feel :-/

Have you considered running a bit higher for a while to attempt to restore your awareness? As a very long term T1, I find my awareness is nothing like as good as it was twenty or thirty years ago, and I've had some periods of lost hypo awareness in the past. Last time it happened (hello trip to A&E after collapsing in the street) my consultant told me to run at 6 to 12 for a while. My understanding is that the important thing is to avoid hypos? It worked, and that combined with self funding a dexcom (libre doesn't agree with me) gives me the confidence to lead a normal life.

I should stress that I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice and you should consult your team before changing your blood sugar aims, but in the past running too low (with too many hypos) has been the cause of my (temporary) loss of hypo awareness. And yes, it's very very scary, specially when you are in charge of young children.

Hopefully you can use the libre to reduce your incidence of hypos and give you your confidence back?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't you feel the waves when your bg drops? I'm shaking so much that I wake up in the middle of the night without libre:hilarious:

One of the early hypo signs for me are flickering or dancing lights in the lower field of vision?
The light play on the surface of water don’t always help..

Hypo on horseback used to be interesting.. The horse sort of loses focus too.. ;)

@NewToLADA , what insulins are you prescribed?
I’m on MDI. (A long acting basal then inject with Novorapid for meals.)
Pending on what I am doing. (Planing alert.) I tend to do “it” with no fast acting insulin onboard..? (which does mean I will eat afterwards.)

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Let staff know. Wear a medical alert bracelet and have jelly babies at side of pool. Was very worried at the beginning of my diabetes journey but as serious swimming has always been my thing was determined to go. After a bit of initial experimentation and adjustment I have not needed to eat one of those jelly babies in the last 6 years.
Take the plunge!!! Sorry!!