Swimming with Sensors

Connie’s Dad

I want to take my daughter swimming. She currently has a dexcom g6 and a libre sensor on her.
I’m wary of doing any damage to them as for her she finds applying them quite traumatic. (8 yrs newly diagnosed).

Any and all advice welcome!

K

Knikki

Well I've been in baths and hot tubs with a Libra on and all was ok.

Going to tag @kev-w because he is a swimmer and I'm sure he has a Libra on as well, I think there is another but name escapes me.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Connie’s Dad

I use tegaderm plasters on my sensors, generally they are fine without for swimming but as I self fund my sensors I prefer to take out 'insurance' and keep them covered, however you have to be careful when taking the plasters off as they will peel off still attached to the sensors.

Out of interest why is she wearing both a Libre and G6 ?

Connie’s Dad

Hi @Connie’s Dad

I use tegaderm plasters on my sensors, generally they are fine without for swimming but as I self fund my sensors I prefer to take out 'insurance' and keep them covered, however you have to be careful when taking the plasters off as they will peel off still attached to the sensors.

Out of interest why is she wearing both a Libre and G6 ?

We were given the Libre when she was diagnosed. It is good but doesn’t “send” readings. We wanted that functionality so could keep an eye on things at night and now she has gone back to school.

Hoping to get a Miao Miao gadget for the libre that’ll do the same as the dexcom. But it’s coming from China and I’m not confident in setting it up. An IT degree needed!

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I want to take my daughter swimming. She currently has a dexcom g6 and a libre sensor on her.
I’m wary of doing any damage to them as for her she finds applying them quite traumatic. (8 yrs newly diagnosed).

Any and all advice welcome!

Libre sensors are good for a swimming pool, they say waterproof for 30 mins and to a metre deep, I average 3 swims a week and haven't broken one yet, odd time it'll you to rescan in 10 minutes (usually after having a shower) I always use a Tegaderm patch over the top too.

I take the reader poolside in one of those fridge sealy bags insulin comes in too, have fun swimming :)

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Connie’s Dad . I use Dexcom G4 , no problems at all in the water. Swimming with grandkids for 45 minutes as never affected it.
I will suggest though that when you pimp up your libre you get in touch with @Scott-C this guy has been the forerunner of pimping up the libre. I’m sure he’ll be able to assist with tips and advice.