Swimming with toddler logistics

shivles

Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Want take the kids out somewhere today and OH mentioned swimming but the logistics of that are giving me a headache! 17 month DD is type 1, how am I supposed to check her sugars and give snacks appropriately in a swimming pool?! Swimming with the kids is stressful enough for me and I feel awful but with this on top I just want to avoid it like the plague.

Any hints and tips appreciated!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Test beforehand and give her a snack if her BS is too low, then take the meter and glucose into the pool with you and put it near the pool. That's what I do and I've never had any problems. If anyone asks me (and that's only happened once in years of swimming) I just explain I have diabetes and need to keep my stuff nearby.

I aim to be around 8 before swimming, but if your daughter is very active, I'd aim higher. There's a thread from a parent asking about swimming lessons somewhere here and I believe they reduced the bolus for the meal beforehand. Their child had started swimming lessons.

Reactions: Jaylee

shivles

Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If we go I think it will be to a water park type place, so an all day job, how often will I need to check her? Will they let her eat a biscuit at the side of the pool do you think or will we have to go to the cafe or whatever?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If we go I think it will be to a water park type place, so an all day job, how often will I need to check her? Will they let her eat a biscuit at the side of the pool do you think or will we have to go to the cafe or whatever?

If this is the first time you've taken her, I'd check frequently eg every 15 mins or whenever you feel you need to. I usually take in glucose as its small but for longer swimming activities, I've taken a small square Tupperware with a chocolate bar and chewy cereal bar in). I put that Tupperware on my towel with my meter by the side of the pool.

I've never been to a water park so I'm not sure of where you could put things, but as long as you choose sensible easy to eat food items, then I can't see a problem (ie don't have something that's going to crumble all over the poolside). I find the mention of Type 1 works well and that lifeguards have understood the necessity of keeping emergency stuff nearby.

Last edited:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi,

"Shifts" in the water with the kids. You & her dad. On in one out?
Make a "base area" near the pool or water edge, not too far away with all the D stuff so one parent is always present at that spot..

The overal excitement on entering somewhere new initially may throw BS out in one direction or the other. They should be OK with the small snack.

I just thought of penguins for some reason.? But you get the idea..

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If this is the first time you've taken her, I'd check frequently eg every 15 mins or whenever you feel you need to. I usually take in glucose as its small but for longer swimming activities, I've taken a small square Tupperware with a chocolate bar and chewy cereal bar in). I put that Tupperware on my towel with my meter by the side of the pool.

I've never been to a water park so I'm not sure of where you could put things, but as long as you choose sensible easy to eat food items, then I can't see a problem (ie don't have something that's going to crumble all over the poolside). I find the mention of Type 1 works well and that lice guards have understood the necessity of keeping emergency stuff nearby.

They have "lice guards"?? How dirty are the pools you swim in? ;)

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I have previously eaten cereal bars in the water! Life guard gave me an odd look and I explained and all was well.
Your worry is totally understandable but the only way to do it is to try.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Seems to me that @Jaylee you are just nit picking.

Me? Never. I was just trying to get to the root of it.?

Though I feel we may get scalped by a mod if the banter continues on a side parting... :rolleyes:;)

Seriously. Insulin sensitivity maybe heightened in an environment such as a swimming pool?
Keep a close eye on the BS!