Swinging blood sugars + more insulin = weight gain?

kaup

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey,

I have Diabetes 1 and my weight is 96 kilo. I am 176 cm tall. I want to start loosing at least 10 kilo. But my weight is standing still.

I recently switched insulin from Lantus to Tresiba for better blood sugar control. And i have a lot of lows and highs recently which means i need more units some days .Im also on a vegan diet.

Can swinging blood sugars and the need for more insulin cause weight gain?

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
The highs means not enough insulin; the lows means too much. Needing to feed a low can be a reason for gaining weight.

You can do a basal rate check on an injected basal insulin. It’s not fun. But it’ll say if you’re taking too much or too less.

kaup

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to take lantus 15 on morning and 15 on evening. GP adviced to atke tresiba once per morning, 30 units. But i have highs every morning atm with this dose. tips?

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The high in the morning say the new one isn’t lasting. Talk about doing a split dose again.

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
How high is high?

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @kaup, Could you please provide more information to help us understand your concerns?
You say you are taking Tresiba 30 units once daily, in place of previous twice daily doses of Lantus 15 units twice daily.
Are you prescribed a short-acting insulin before meals also? If so, when and how much?
What amount of carbohydrates to do eat for which meal? Do you have snacks between meals? Are you prescribed any other medication? If so what?
Do your hypos tend to occur at particular times of day or night?
Thank you.

Reactions: Jaylee

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
The high in the morning say the new one isn’t lasting. Talk about doing a split dose again.

No point splitting Tresiba as its a stable 36 hour basal, even if you forget your dose in the morning you can take it 12 hours later with little effect on your levels.