Swings And Dips

Grant1969

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes and my personal inabilities.
Hello everyone, I got my recent hba1c result and it's gone up by .1 from 7.7 to 7.8, not much movement really but it's in the wrong direction, duh, but what's concerning me is how much the bg readings vary, e.g. today I awoke and hit the ground limping with a 7.1, next reading was 14.9 followed later by a 3.9, is this just normal, as in everyone's bg goes up and down to such a degree and is feeling like a cow pat with a heart beat after starting gliclazide par for the course as well?
I've recently become concerned with a wound I have on my leg/shin which I got from a motorbike accident 3years ago before I was diagnosed with t2d, the wound is the remains of surgical wounding incurred when the surgeon basically put all the broken bits back together and secured them with plates and pins. I have been to the gp 4 times now and every time I receive a prescription for flucloxacilin anti biotics, just into the last week of a second two week course after 2 previous one week courses most recently, and not only do they appear not to be working but another sign of infection has appeared, should I be concerned both by the infection/wound and well, err apathetic method treatment?, thanks for any response or consideration, hehe, feel like I'm talking to a shaman or something.

Last edited:

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you sure the 14.9 was correct? Sometimes you can get a routine strip.

I don't take glucose but I understand that it can cause hypos.

Grant1969

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Are you sure the 14.9 was correct? Sometimes you can get a routine strip.

I don't take glucose but I understand that it can cause hypos.
Hadn't considered that but I tested again after the low one and it had risen to 12.9 again.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hadn't considered that but I tested again after the low one and it had risen to 12.9 again.
Darned predictive text. I meant rogue strip.

If I get an unexpected high or low, I always test again.

Grant1969

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Smart thinking yeah just make sure you get a correct reading before you start munching sugar cubes or a peperami depending on how your swinging, ooeerr misses, hehehe.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
should I be concerned both by the infection/wound and well, err apathetic method treatment?,
Yes, you need to get further help with the infections urgently ask for a second opinion. Infections can cause erratic blood glucose levels. Let us know how you get on.

Grant1969

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks for that, I wondered about the anti biotics making my bg go up let alone the infection itself, no wonder I'm so bamboozled by the erratic nature of bg and diabetes.

Grant1969

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Update time, been for an x-ray on my leg and I've been referred to an osteo something at the hospital and I've appointment with a nurse at my local clinic for a full blood test monitoring type thing on Friday, apparently they're looking for signs of osteomylitis?, but the gp diagnosed it as a skin infection so hopefully that's all it is, err if that's a little thing that is, ahem...

Reactions: 1spuds

Grant1969

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Update time, I've been to the orthopaedic surgeon who was completely useless, never one to criticise the wonderful nhs but here goes, he was so out of his depth he couldn't see land, repeatedly asking when it started and when it changed, when did I go to the gp, when did I start the anti biotics, when, when, when I tried guess dates and times but guesses they were, meanwhile he's staring at my file on screen with all the correct information on it...fidgety fidgety, err, hmm, fidget, yeah I think I'll refer you to the surgeon that operated in the first place. Absolutely fantastic, now I wait an even longer extended length of time waiting on an appointment with a top class surgeon all for the sake of a skin infection.
Sometimes I despair.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In the waiting time you might find that using a bit of olive oil on a dressing to cover the place might help - if you can get the stuff we used to get way back - a little bottle marked BP from the chemist, that is the pure stuff - I still have one somewhere.
My family ancestry has a lot of nurses and midwives, so this is a genuine old wives tale, but it is supposed to help - I knew a lot of lads with motorbikes back in the day too, and it was something they knew about - but you must drip the oil onto the dressing, never put the dressing on top of the bottle and tip up and back, always put the top back on and only then wipe the bottle - to keep the oil sterile.
I checked online and there is mention of using olive oil on ulcers and it helped so there could be something in it

Grant1969

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
In the waiting time you might find that using a bit of olive oil on a dressing to cover the place might help - if you can get the stuff we used to get way back - a little bottle marked BP from the chemist, that is the pure stuff - I still have one somewhere.
My family ancestry has a lot of nurses and midwives, so this is a genuine old wives tale, but it is supposed to help - I knew a lot of lads with motorbikes back in the day too, and it was something they knew about - but you must drip the oil onto the dressing, never put the dressing on top of the bottle and tip up and back, always put the top back on and only then wipe the bottle - to keep the oil sterile.
I checked online and there is mention of using olive oil on ulcers and it helped so there could be something in it
Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a try because at the moment it's not even covered and the surgeon never commented on it, I've always gone by the "let some air at it" style of medicare and this has really threw me with it taking so long to go. Another of the many joys of diabetes I suppose.

Grant1969

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hardly an update more a sign of impatient bewilderment, still waiting on anything from the surgeon and it's still leaking, all I have is silence and the ringing endorsement from the orthopaedic surgeon on leaving of "of course, the bones won't withstand removal of the metalwork, so you'll probably loose your leg..."
Hopefully I'll look back at this thread and grin about how silly I'm being over a skin infection.
Hello future me, I'm scared.
Increase the peace my lovelies.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hardly an update more a sign of impatient bewilderment, still waiting on anything from the surgeon and it's still leaking, all I have is silence and the ringing endorsement from the orthopaedic surgeon on leaving of "of course, the bones won't withstand removal of the metalwork, so you'll probably loose your leg..."
Hopefully I'll look back at this thread and grin about how silly I'm being over a skin infection.
That sounds like appalling treatment and very sorry to har it. Can't really suggest anything to help except ask how are your blood sugars?

Grant1969

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My blood sugars have lowered since I started Gliclazide, just recently tho they've started to rise again but I'm stressing out about my leg so I'm putting that down as the cause, nothing too high mind, just in the teens.

feniangirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you have no success with the wound, or the doctors, as a last resort I would suggest you look at http://progressivedoctors.com/news/...timely-advice-during-american-diabetes-month/ My sister used this many years ago and it works like a miracle. It took me hours to find out what it is called, at last I asked her and she did remember. Expensive, but not near as expensive as the alternative. Good luck.:)

Grant1969

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
If you have no success with the wound, or the doctors, as a last resort I would suggest you look at http://progressivedoctors.com/news/...timely-advice-during-american-diabetes-month/ My sister used this many years ago and it works like a miracle. It took me hours to find out what it is called, at last I asked her and she did remember. Expensive, but not near as expensive as the alternative. Good luck.:)
Thanks for that, I didn't know about slow healing for diabetics and with me being diagnosed with an infection, the thought of losing a limb as a consequence just seems a bit Darwinian, not my fault but I should scream louder I think.

Grant1969

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Another update for meself, received an appointment with the top class surgeon, for the 28th of February because of this apparent skin infection which is still dripping pus down my shin...a top class surgeon for a skin infection seems very odd to ickle naive me.

Edited to remove the surgeon's name

Last edited by a moderator:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Omg have you been waiting all this time for a referral? It’s nearly 4 months since your last post! It’ll be 6 months by the time you see him. I hope at last you find someone that knows of which he talks.

Reactions: Grant1969

Grant1969

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Saw the surgeon, got another x-ray and apparently there is signs of infection on the metalwork so he's going to remove it...between my frailty and diabetes I'm not feeling at all confident for the future of my leg and for the first time in years I'm feeling fear, removing the pins and plates will probably damage the bones that have just healed and recovery will be difficult. Trying to be brave.

Edited to remove HCP name

Last edited by a moderator: