Switching basal insulin

Elliemison

I am currently on Lantus which I take once a day but this does not last a full 24 hours and tends to run out around 20 hours in.

My consultant wants to try putting me on a split dose of Levemir and see if this is any better. This doesn’t particularly appeal to me as I don’t really want to have an extra injection (sounds silly I know).

I have been doing research on Tresiba and have heard it is not good if you do regular exercise. Is it easy to combat sugars with less bolus and snacks while using Tresiba (this is what I do with Lantus anyway) or is it really that bad? Any other experiences people have with Tresiba would be greatly appreciated!

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Hi I’m not on Tresiba, but I like you was on Lanctus and I’m now on Levimir as my consultant said it wasn’t as predictable. I was a bit sceptical with regard two injections a day but to be honest after about 2 days it was same ol same ol . Must say the Levimir much better than the Lanctus blood sugars are better controlled

Reactions: Elliemison

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I’ve been on tresiba for about 4 years now.. it’s great in most respects as it’s a very flat profile

HOWEVER I have issues with physical activity tresiba can stay in your system for several days infact it’s possible to miss one dose maybe 2 without any negative effect

With levemir if I know I was going to be super active the following day I could take less as I would burn more glucose

Can’t do that with tresiba. So on a really busy day my levels can crash after activity I can go from 9mmol to 4 in 30 minutes.. but when I get home and slow down my levels start to rise

So I can take less or I will be higher overnight and I can take more as I will really have issues at work

So in short you will have more control with levemir/lantus

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I am currently on Lantus which I take once a day but this does not last a full 24 hours and tends to run out around 20 hours in.

My consultant wants to try putting me on a split dose of Levemir and see if this is any better. This doesn’t particularly appeal to me as I don’t really want to have an extra injection (sounds silly I know).

I have been doing research on Tresiba and have heard it is not good if you do regular exercise. Is it easy to combat sugars with less bolus and snacks while using Tresiba (this is what I do with Lantus anyway) or is it really that bad? Any other experiences people have with Tresiba would be greatly appreciated!
I'm on Levemir and think it's great. I dose waking and bedtime, and I can alter each dose based on my exercise and carbohydrate intake. It reacts really quickly to changes, which gives me excellent BS control.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm on Levemir and the great thing for me about the split dosing is I can have much more at night but knock it back during the day when I'm more active - and that can vary enormously. It took experimenting to find my best times to take it, but for me, now it's with breakfast and evening meal which are about 12 hours apart the faff of the extra injection seems to have minimised and I'm less likely to fall asleep early and forget to take it as could occasionally happen at bedtime.

But I do see the attraction of a one injection a day basal if you are not likely to be varying activity!

Last edited: