Switching from G6 to G7

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
I've been self funding a G6 for the past 3 1/2 years and it has been a game changer in terms of enabling me to improve my BG control. But I've been keen to try out the G7 as it is simpler, smaller, slightly cheaper and much less plastic waste than the G6 applicator.

So today my last G6 sensor expired and I've inserted my first G7. An issue for me at start, as you need to press the applicator hard into your arm (sadly a bit flabby in my case) in order for the injector mechanism to work. But completely painless. Fast warmup 30 min is a blessing.

I needed to download a separate G7 phone App to link to transmitter, but it feeds the same online Dexcom Clarity account that I have for my G6, so all history continues. So far so good - I'll update how I get on. :)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
What you may notice is that the data on the G7 appears to be more jumpy than that on the G6, that's certainly something a number of us have seen. From what i understand it's because the two systems have different smoothing applied in the onboard algorithm, which results in much lcoser to raw data from the G7 compared to what you see with the G6.

You also can't "pre-soak" a G7, as the sensor start happens immediately the insertion is effective due to a magnet releasing a switch in the patch, rather than relying on the start in the app.

Otherwise, it seems to be a bit sensor dependent. I've used three now. The first two both read 20% too high and needed calibration. The third one has been much more accurate from day 1.

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
What you may notice is that the data on the G7 appears to be more jumpy than that on the G6, that's certainly something a number of us have seen. From what i understand it's because the two systems have different smoothing applied in the onboard algorithm, which results in much lcoser to raw data from the G7 compared to what you see with the G6.

You also can't "pre-soak" a G7, as the sensor start happens immediately the insertion is effective due to a magnet releasing a switch in the patch, rather than relying on the start in the app.

Otherwise, it seems to be a bit sensor dependent. I've used three now. The first two both read 20% too high and needed calibration. The third one has been much more accurate from day 1.
Hi @tim2000s,

Thanks, this is very helpful. Yes I have noticed "jumpier" data with the G7 app (but I think I was also seeing it with my last 2 G6 sensors), but if it is down to the smoothing algorithm, that makes sense. I don't notice any differences when reviewing my Clarity reports.

I'm now on day 8, so have yet to see how easy it will be to switch to the next sensor. I have calibrated this sensor a couple of times , namely because I'm struggling with too many lows and need to double-check my BG levels when these occur. I hadn't noticed the extra G7 feature to just log a BG level as opposed to using it for calibration, so I'll also try that going forward. So far reading within 0.5 mmol of my BG fingerpricks. Early days!

Reactions: EJTC and EllieM

Niamh1

I've been self funding a G6 for the past 3 1/2 years and it has been a game changer in terms of enabling me to improve my BG control. But I've been keen to try out the G7 as it is simpler, smaller, slightly cheaper and much less plastic waste than the G6 applicator.

So today my last G6 sensor expired and I've inserted my first G7. An issue for me at start, as you need to press the applicator hard into your arm (sadly a bit flabby in my case) in order for the injector mechanism to work. But completely painless. Fast warmup 30 min is a blessing.

I needed to download a separate G7 phone App to link to transmitter, but it feeds the same online Dexcom Clarity account that I have for my G6, so all history continues. So far so good - I'll update how I get on. :)
hi just to ask how much is the 6g as i have the freestyle 2 but I find it does not always give me a correct blood sugar reading

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Does the follow feature still work?

I am wondering whether my fitbit versa which shows my bg on a watch face will still work....

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
hi just to ask how much is the 6g as i have the freestyle 2 but I find it does not always give me a correct blood sugar reading
If you are self funding and are UK based, the G7 is cheaper and is a simple one unit sensor that is very similar in size and shape to the Libre 2. The G6 is a two piece device and a bit bigger than a L2. Currently G6 is £159 p.m. and the G7 is £140 p.m., but there are a few pricing alternatives for both.

With a G6 I have had a few dodgy sensors which Dexcom have always promptly replaced. I definitely make regular finger prick tests especially if trending low. Although Dexcom advertises 'no calibration needed' you can calibrate G6/G7 if you wish. Obviously, the accuracy is difficult to check if your blood sugars are rising/falling, I've also lost signals due to sensor compression from time to time. Hope this helps!

cait 57

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have also switched from G6 to G7. So far am finding it more accurate from the start. Great being smaller. Took a while to realise you have to hold it firmly before you can insert it. Live and learn. Love the 30 minute warm up.

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Well I've been using G7 for a month now. On my 4th sensor as the second one failed after 3 days (each should last 10 days). Dexcom technical support have sent a replacement plus return pack for the faulty sensor. Otherwise it is painless to insert. I use the supplied overpatch and have had no problems with the sensor becoming detached and no reactions to the adhesives.

The quick warmup is a godsend. The signal is a bit patchy for first 48 hours, but not wildly out compared to fingerpricks. Technical support suggested NOT to over calibrate the G7 sensor - only once per sensor and only if it is > 15% different from a flatline G7 reading. But G7 App does have handy feature to record fingerprick BGs for comparison purposes. They also reminded me that taking paracetamol can distort Dexcom device readings (G1, G6, G7). Not sure I knew this previously.

Perhaps most excitingly for me, Dexcom have finally approved latest iPhones (eg. 13 & 14) with iOS up to 16.2 for G7. So I lived dangerously and updated my iPhone 13 to the latest iOS 16.3.1 and am happy to report my Dexcom iPhone App is still working.

I have not noticed any difference in the performance of the Dexcom Clarity tool due to switching from G6 to G7.

But still early days!

MoonSpirit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don’t upgrade to G7. Dexcom especially if you’re going on holiday.
Dexcom don’t warn you but the G7 software (unlike G6) insists on using the phones location software to confirm location. If you’re outside the UK the G7 software won’t load, just says location error, contact Dexcom Tech support for assistance, but tech support even after two days have no solution. I’m left with carry on with G6 (can’t as I no longer have supplies) or abandon my holiday and return home to load the software.

So what happens if your phone dies, you loose your phone or it gets stolen or you need to reinstall the G7 software for any reason while on holiday? Make sure you take a back up glucose system with you, unlike the G6 where you just needed to buy a new phone and re install the App. The G7 using location software blocks the Dexcom G7, this is rediciously dangerous . Stick with G6

What was expected to be a simple switch over from G6 to G7 has left me scared, stuck on holiday without G6 or G7.

Last edited:

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Don’t upgrade to G7. Dexcom especially if you’re going on holiday.
Dexcom don’t warn you but the G7 software (unlike G6) insists on using the phones location software to confirm location. If you’re outside the UK the G7 software won’t load, just says location error, contact Dexcom Tech support for assistance, but tech support even after two days have no solution. I’m left with carry on with G6 (can’t as I no longer have supplies) or abandon my holiday and return home to load the software.

So what happens if your phone dies, you loose your phone or it gets stolen or you need to reinstall the G7 software for any reason while on holiday? Make sure you take a back up glucose system with you, unlike the G6 where you just needed to buy a new phone and re install the App. The G7 using location software blocks the Dexcom G7, this is rediciously dangerous . Stick with G6

What was expected to be a simple switch over from G6 to G7 has left me scared, stuck on holiday without G6 or G7.
TBH there is a very annoying trend for all Apps to increasingly want location tracking - this appears to just be another data harvesting exercise, as very few Apps would really need such precise location data for their function. However, for "medical" devices such a CGM, there are also lots of regulatory and licensing issues - to buy G7 in the UK, you would have had to confirm that you are a UK resident, so the software algorithm is now confused that you appear to be outside the UK when initialising the App, so potentially not a legitimate user.