Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Many years back, I would often inject into my stomach area as a matter of convenience. After developing some fatty/swollen lumps around this area, I quit injecting in the stomach, and was assured by my Gp that the lumps would disappear in time. Now, after some 10 years or more, the lumps are still visable.

As I am trying to lose weight at the moment, and my stomach is slowly reducing, the swollen area is quite prominent. Its appearance is slightly red looking, and protrudes making my stomach look bigger than it is. :lol:

I have mentioned this to my doctor/diabetes clinic, but none seem to be concerned, merely pointing out that it is just fatty tissue built up where I previously injected, no mention of how I may solve the problem or reduce its appearance. Therefore, I would like to hear from others who have had similar problems with injection sites, and any reccomendations would be welcome indeed!

p.s. I now rotate my injection sites and have no other problems elsewhere.

Many thanks

Nigel

iHs

noblehead said:
Many years back, I would often inject into my stomach area as a matter of convenience. After developing some fatty/swollen lumps around this area, I quit injecting in the stomach, and was assured by my Gp that the lumps would disappear in time. Now, after some 10 years or more, the lumps are still visable.

As I am trying to lose weight at the moment, and my stomach is slowly reducing, the swollen area is quite prominent. Its appearance is slightly red looking, and protrudes making my stomach look bigger than it is. :lol:

I have mentioned this to my doctor/diabetes clinic, but none seem to be concerned, merely pointing out that it is just fatty tissue built up where I previously injected, no mention of how I may solve the problem or reduce its appearance. Therefore, I would like to hear from others who have had similar problems with injection sites, and any reccomendations would be welcome indeed!

p.s. I now rotate my injection sites and have no other problems elsewhere.

Many thanks

Nigel

Hi Nigel

I had liposuction done on my leg in 99. My consultant asked me whether I had any lumps anywhere during a routine 6 month check up. I had a small lump and a dent at the top of my leg due to injecting insulin (once a day) from the 60's. He took one look at my leg and although not really bad, said that he would refer me to see a plastic surgeon.

The plastic surgeon hmmed and arrrd a bit and asked me how much the lump bothered me and whether I was into wearing mini skirts :oops: :lol: He agreed to do liposuction and so I just went into hospital the evening before the procedure, saw the anesthetist and a registrar, had the op done first thing in the morning (without sliding scale) came back to the ward, had some breakfast and went home just after lunch. Everything went very well. I am very pleased at how nice and flat my leg looked.

If the lump on your stomach is bothering you then play on it a bit and ask to be referred to a plastic surgeon. If the D consultant is not willing to do it, then see your GP and tell him/her that it is getting you down :wink:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
iHs,

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

I may take your advice and mention to doc about liposuction. I fear he may think I am a bit vain in wanting to go to such extreme measures, but it does cause me some concern. I rarely take my top off in public, but even thou I wear t-shirts most of the time, the lump is still noticable. Also, due to the fact that it is also a slightly red colour, it stands out against my pasty skin! :cry:

When you had the procedure done, were you concious throughout, and did the incision heal quick and leave a scar?

Many thanks

Nigel

iHs

Nigel

Liposuction is about the only way to get rid of the fatty lump for good so if it is bothering you like you say it is, then insist that you want something done and mention liposuction. You could try Bio Oil though to see if that helps (chemists sell it).

Liposuction is done under a general anesthetic so no, I wasn't awake, but it's fairly straight forward. My leg was a tiny bit sore directly after the op where they had put the vacuum cleaner to suck out the fat :lol: but I only had 2 stitches at the top of my leg and 2 further down, so nothing really. It didn't take long for everything to heal. The stitches came out about a week later.
I had a really lovely team of doctors who said that ever I got any more lumps come up, to come back and see them.