Symptoms of early Type 1

p.stamp

Hi.

We have a daughter who was diagnosed Type 1, 4 years ago, when she was aged 3. We also have 2 younger boys.
The 4 year old has been displaying similar sympoms as she did, thirst, tiredness, etc. and the other night we checked his numbers - 8.2 We rang the nurse who took his H1AbC which was 5.6 but advised us to check him 4 times a day for a week or so. They have been between 4.3 and 5.6 so put it down to a 'blip' on the meter.
He came home frm nursery today, shattered, drank lots of juice, had lunch - including a small chocolate bar, then fell asleep. Checked his numbers - 3.2 with keytones 0.1

Just wondering if this IS onset of Diabetes, and if anyone else had similar experience.
THANKS,

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
If you are still concerned about this get it checked out properly. Make an appointment with your GP and get the proper tests done for peace of mind. It could be many things besides Diabetes and your child's health is paramount.

Ken

p.stamp

Thanks. Trying to get hold of the Diabetes Nurse instead.

Generally don't hold much confidence in GP's. Took our daughter the day before she was diagnosed - described symptoms, .... and was told she just had a habit. (3 years old, lost weight, eyes black underneath, drinking min of 5 litres a day, 3 soaking wet nappies a night, tired all the time,) ... and he mis-diagnosed her completely.

24 hours later she was in intensive care with B.G. of 44.9mmol and ketoacidosis!

Worse of all we later found out he was the 'Diabetes doctor' for our surgery.

Paula.

Shax72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had a cold for a week...... went to school as normal - came home on the Friday night.....feeling terrible. Dad gave me a double brandy..(i was 11 !)...packed me off to bed. I woke on Saturday......about 11am....went to get a cuppa from Mam - who screamed at me. I'd de-hydrated 2 stone overnight... rushed into hospital.....and watched them pull the Mary Rose out the drink the next day.....all those years ago !!!!

I was forever drinking from the tap, my thirst was unbelievable......and tired. You do right to ask questions, I know they are professional, but at the end of the day, your kids are far more important than someone saying wait a week.

Best of luck