Symptoms

muslimrose

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I was diagnosed with prediabetes 10 days ago i see my GP tomorrow because the symptoms are driving me nuts im thirsty very tired most of the time need the bathroom and ive got a horrible itch on my private area...the results of the blood glucose was 47 where the diabetic level is 48 so im one away from T2 well thats how i see it..

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
what time was the blood taken and had you eaten before?

That isnt very high at all...

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @muslimrose; sorry you're feeling a bit down about things right now. The prediabetes range is 42-47, so yes, you are right at the top of that range. I can only speak for myself, but I had similar symptoms to yours, the itching in particular was also driving me nuts, so I can empathise with how you're feeling. I found that for me by following a low carb, higher fat diet it has helped to get rid of my symptoms quite well and quite quickly.

I'd be interested to hear what your GP has said about your symptoms and how they might be treated. Has he/she given you any clues/advice?

muslimrose

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
He has given me cream and wants to do a repeat blood test because he said i could have type 2 he just said to use something gentle to wash myself so it wont irritate the skin

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
the results of the blood glucose was 47 where the diabetic level is 48 so im one away from T2
It's important to remember that these dividing lines between non-diabetic and pre-diabetic and pre-diabetic and diabetic are simply lines which have been drawn for administrative purposes. You may not have been labelled "diabetic", but you are suffering the symptoms. Sounds like your test was an HbA1c, so is a sort of average of your blood sugars over the past two to three months. Whether you had breakfast on the morning of the test is irrelevant.
The important thing now is to get rid of your symptoms and lower your blood sugars. The best way to do this is to cut out all the obvious sugars from your diet and move towards a low-carb way of life. (Lots of information on the forum) Your health and general enjoyment of life will improve enormously. I'm afraid your doctor has not been as helpful as s/he might have been, though I suppose the results of a second test could change that.
Sally

ps Just a thought. If you change your diet, getting rid of most carbs and sugars, and wait a few weeks, your next test could produce a lower figure.

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with Sally above, about reducing your sugar and carbohydrate intake as much as possible. If you haven't already started to do this, the site has a free 10 week introductory course that will guide you through low carbing, plus plenty of other info on the Low Carb forum (scroll down from the main Forum tab till you get to the Food and Nutrition heading, and click on the subheading Low Carb Forum). Also, it can help if you increase your water intake, aiming for 2 litres per day
It will probably take some experiment to find out what works for you and your body, coz we're all different & what works for one may not work for another, so we can only try it and see, and adjust as necessary.
Hope the cream from the GP helps you; a gentle wash is good advice and makes sense. If there are any other queries or info you need, there's tons of it here on the various forums, and there are usually plenty of willing volunteers to answer any questions you may have.