T1 diabetes in the family?

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed in my 30's and no family history at all.
All that being said I do have a history of autoimmune disorders (T1 is number 3) so I guess I am an anomaly in the family.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
How is your uncle's general health? I'm really worried about future complications.
Uncle is fit and well at the grand age of 81 both he and Aunt have just come back from another cruise :)

Reactions: 2 people

Jestred

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed at 44 six months ago when diagnosed with Type 1 and was the first in the family with diabetes. but i do worry about my kids developing T1

Samwar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was diagnosed at 33 with t 1 3 months ago they asked me the same the only person I have found out that's has it is my mum's cousin

Sharonwarrior

Third generation T1, diagnosed in 1996 at the age of 38. My mother was T1, at the age of 38 as well, and she had an older half-brother who was T1, though I don't know any more than that about him. Her sister, my aunt, developed T1 about five or six years ago, in her mid-seventies. Their father, my grandfather, was diagnosed in the 1920s and was an early insulin-taker - of his six older siblings, five died from diabetes.
Hi, I was diagnosed with type 1 at the age of 20. On one side of the family I have two other cousins diagnosed as kids. One cousin diagnosed as a type 1 at 46 year old. Same side loads of SLIM, FIT AND HEALTHY diagnosed as type 2. My dad was type 2 at 41, but he'd lost weight before diagnoses, I think he was a misdiagnosed LADA. He ended up on insulin. His mum was type 2. His nan was type 1 but diagnosed just after giving birth to my nan and before insulin was found so that was a short life.
If you are not diabetic in my family the joke is the milk man was involved.
Wow - we have a similar joke re the milkman in our house! I am the only non type one out of our family of 5. My husband was diagnosed when he was 6, my daughter 5 years ago when she was 8, my son 1 year ago when he was 10 and my other son is 7 and he was just recently diagnosed. Amazing how it can be so prominent in some families.

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Insects, spiders, heights, clowns, enclosed spaces, and of course Justin Beiber and JLS. So the standards, really. ;)
I was diagnosed when I was 14, the only one in my family. My mum has autoimmune thyroiditis, and her side of the family do have a history of t2, but my brother is the healthiest person I know (hope I didn't just jinx that) and males are supposed to be more likely to get diabetes than females, so I guess it's just the luck of the draw... ;)

TJR56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow - we have a similar joke re the milkman in our house! I am the only non type one out of our family of 5. My husband was diagnosed when he was 6, my daughter 5 years ago when she was 8, my son 1 year ago when he was 10 and my other son is 7 and he was just recently diagnosed. Amazing how it can be so prominent in some families.
No history on either side of our family, T1 nor T2. I was (finally) diagnosed T1 after slipping into a coma aged two years, nine months. My sister was diagnosed T1 aged 26, and my brother at 37 - and no, not T2. They both also have been diagnosed with coeliac disease and I am having a gastroscopy on Monday to double-check my status. Oh hey, those genes that play havoc with our immune systems! Anyone interested in looking at this? Or can anyone point me to scientific research on bundles of auto-immune conditions and their genetic profiling?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rickmac1988

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Rosieice, hope you're well! I'm 27 and I was diagnosed with Type 1 in 1998. Two of my uncles on my mum's side (who died before I was born) had diabetes. My dad and sister both have celiac disease too – which I believe is related to diabetes so it sounds like it runs in my family... unfortunately!