t1 doses - ICR howto?

h4kr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, so its been 10 days since diagnosis.. this is a lot harder than I thought it would be!
The DSN put my doses up a week ago to static 9/9/9 novorapid and 20 lantus.
I am really not sure this is the best way to manage this.. We manage my daughter who is 8 with type 1 on a libre (3 months diagnosed) and carb count for her and dose based on carb intake. This has really changed everything for her - we can trend her levels and intervene before a low occurs (which isnt too often as dose is carb related).
I guess my question is can I work out my ICR myself? my correction factor is 3.7 (based on the 100 rule). I know this needs to be confirmed by the diabetes team.. but my appointment isn't until Feb2nd and I want to be stable (have a ski trip before this to!).
This happened with my daughter.. makes me wonder if they make you have hypos so you know what they feel like in the early days before you start to manage properly - I was told not to carb count and just bring my levels down with the doses given.
Anyway, i will havea call with the diabetes team next week.. but is there an easy way to calc my ICR based on carb intake and readings? I have attached this weeks mySugr readings.. maybe someone can give me a point in the right direction?
thx !!

Attachments

• mysugr.PNG
    mysugr.PNG
    181.2 KB · Views: 123

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Everyone works out their I:C ratio themselves.

If can be tricky to do this as a honeymooning newly diagnosed adult type 1 (the honeymoon in children is much less pronounced as their immune systems more efficiently kill off the beta cells). So usually carb counting courses aren't offered to newly diagnosed adults for 12 months after diagnosis.

But while you wait for that you can do the free NHS online version here - https://www.bertieonline.org.uk

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Due to your daughter having Type1 is it very possible that even on “day one” you have as much day to day experience of managing Type1 as some DSN. If I was in your shoes, I would have become a two libre household very quickly....

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I see no reason why you shouldn't carb-count as you obviously know what you're doing with your daughter. My DN started me carb-counting the day she started my Bolus. It's you decision of course together with the DN. The NHS makes such a meal of carb-counting. For someone who is a newbie and nervous about insulin etc I can understand it but if you are confident why delay the otptimum treatment?

h4kr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Will work through the bertieoine thing, I just need to the formula for ICR to get a rough idea.
Going to order my libre too.. was holding out for a free starter kit from the diabetes team, but having multiple hypos a day because of these static doses is not good.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just need to the formula for ICR

There is no formula. Most people are started on a 1:10 ratio. I would suggest that you just start off by 1) doing the Bertie course and 2) working out how many grams of carbs are in your meals - really you mysugar pics don't do anything towards finding your I:C ratio because they don't say how many carbs you are eating. If you find your fixed doses work well for a particular meal and you know how many grams of carbs were in that meal then you'd divide the total carbs by the number of units taken and that would tell you how many carbs 1 unit can cover, if you find you're going low then do the same process and if it comes out showing Xg was too low a ratio then youd consider increasing the number of grams of carbs per unit eg going from 1:10 to 1:12 or 1:15, if it shows it didn't cover very well then you'd consider reducing the ratio eg from 1:10 to 1:8.

I'm assuming you ought or have a fairly decent idea of the carb count of your meals if you're eating the same meals as your daughter and carb counting for them, although you may need to do a bit of weighing to take account of adult portions.

Reactions: h4kr

h4kr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
really you mysugar pics don't do anything towards finding your I:C ratio because they don't say how many carbs you are eating.

It’s the number 4 lines down on each day.. I’ve Benn entering them for each meal. I’ll try 1:10 and then go from there...
many thanks all!
Happy new year