1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Approved T1D and driving research

Discussion in 'Diabetes Research' started by NatalieZ, May 8, 2016.

1. NatalieZ

NatalieZ Type 1 · Newbie

Hi everybody!

I'm an MSc student at the University of Surrey (and a fellow T1!) and I'm running a study on driving with T1D! If any of you are interested in taking part, here's some information :)

There's two different parts:

Part one is a quick online survey ( https://surreyfahs.eu.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_2bnoQK5IcpKqjSB ), it takes about 10 minutes, it's completely anonymous, and anyone over 18 with T1D and a driver's licence can take part!

The second part of my study (and the fun bit!) is an experiment using a driving simulator at the university! There's two 15-minute simulator drives with a 15 minute break in between, and we would test your BG and heart rate at set times during the drives. This bit would take a little over an hour, and of course we would provide all testing supplies etc. This would take place in Guildford, so it may be too far for some of you, but if you're in the area, give me a shout!

Also, passing on the link to the survey, or the information about the driving simulator experiment would be really appreciated!

If anyone is interested you can email me ([email protected]) and we can chat more about it!

2. himtoo

himtoo Type 1 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

completed the survey

3. NatalieZ

NatalieZ Type 1 · Newbie

4. Browndoff

Browndoff Type 1 · Member

It's a very good survey - but, of course, it can be frustrating where one can't say 'I never would' when it's only 'Check all that apply'. I've never had an accident of ANY kind in 40 years of driving [all of it as a T1D] but I'm terrified that they'll create some unfair conditions for diabetics to keep their licences.....!

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook