T1D Newbie to site

running_sweet

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,

I am new to this forum and fairly new to T1D. I was diagnosed two days before Christmas and the last few months have been a steep learning curve for me.

I am a keen club runner, running in events from the 1500m up to the marathon, which I believe helped me get by with diabetes without knowing it for as long as I did. I am hoping to continue running in a sport that I love as long as I can.

I have kept a fairly low carb diet the last few months to control my blood glucose without having to inject a lot of insulin. However, I have struggled to go as low as suggested by Bernstein’s book.

I believe I will always be a student on managing diabetes and have liked what I have seen so far in this forum as well as the information published by the site.

Kind Regards,

Alistair

Reactions: 3 people

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, well done on what you've managed to achieve so far!

You're probably still honeymooning at the moment so will find at some point your insulin requirements will change

Glad you're finding the forum helpful, just ask if you have any questions :) Abbie

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I believe I will always be a student on managing diabetes

That goes for us all :)

One thing is for sure, even after living with diabetes for decades there's always something new to learn, but well done on your achievements thus far @running_sweet and hope your good progress continues.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. I'm not sure what is in Bernstein's book but I'm happy if my HBa1C is below 6.5/% in old money and my nurse told me off when it went down to 6.0% as I was risking hypos! Keep up the running.