#T1Drunswithme London Marathon

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
A couple of weeks back I ran the London Marathon. It was the end goal on a personal journey of going from no exercise to runningthe running the London Marathon in less than a year. Have a look how it went, feel free to ask any question
https://type1bri.com/london-marathon-2018

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Brilliant effort @Type1Bri well done on finishing this, on a particularly hot day too, I take my virtual hat off to you :)

Reactions: Type1Bri

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
It's a great blog too - I have to admit I felt like I was running with you there at times, having experienced some highs and lows during mine, I don't do long distance so respect anyone who does, I still have 'rules' I have to follow if I want a successful run though, each time I go out I feel I learn something new, but more than anything running has given me a sense of freedom from my diabetes as it doesn't stop me whatever it throws at me !

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
It's a great blog too - I have to admit I felt like I was running with you there at times, having experienced some highs and lows during mine, I don't do long distance so respect anyone who does, I still have 'rules' I have to follow if I want a successful run though, each time I go out I feel I learn something new, but more than anything running has given me a sense of freedom from my diabetes as it doesn't stop me whatever it throws at me !
Love the sense of freedom bit, exactly how it should be. I make my t1d run with me, and each run is a chance to learn something new

Reactions: Juicyj

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
There's nothing better than getting the trainers on and legging it ! About a year ago I didn't run either, a friend told me to bring trainers when I went to her house one weekend and after the run I thought crumbs I can do this, it helps to stick at it and have targets but I upload all my runs into Strava so I can track pace and times and over time I am improving, I would love to do the marathon one day but at the moment I enjoy a parkrun every saturday morning at 9am :)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@Type1Bri Oh forgot to mention, other benefits include:

My tendonitis (directly linked to t1) which was affecting both shoulders, both thumbs and ankles has now gone so no more steroid injections.
Lost my bingo wings and toned up.
Has helped me bring down countless highs - so whenever the meter is heading north I go for a run and within 20 minutes BG levels are in range again.
Fitter now than i've ever been.
Have heard it improves bone density too :)

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
There's nothing better than getting the trainers on and legging it ! About a year ago I didn't run either, a friend told me to bring trainers when I went to her house one weekend and after the run I thought crumbs I can do this, it helps to stick at it and have targets but I upload all my runs into Strava so I can track pace and times and over time I am improving, I would love to do the marathon one day but at the moment I enjoy a parkrun every saturday morning at 9am :)
Ah that's amazing.
I use Strava too, great too see the improvements and keep track of everything.
And Parkrun is my favourite run of the week, I run it most weeks with my friend. She also has t1

Reactions: Juicyj

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
@Type1Bri Oh forgot to mention, other benefits include:

My tendonitis (directly linked to t1) which was affecting both shoulders, both thumbs and ankles has now gone so no more steroid injections.
Lost my bingo wings and toned up.
Has helped me bring down countless highs - so whenever the meter is heading north I go for a run and within 20 minutes BG levels are in range again.
Fitter now than i've ever been.
Have heard it improves bone density too :)
It's an all round Win Win kinda thing

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Ah nice one, that's a nice distance. Only a couple miles more than a 10k, you've got this

Reactions: mytype1.life

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Just go out there and enjoy the day. Maybe check bloods a bit in that last 4km

Reactions: mytype1.life

Davie_sett

Type of diabetes
Type 1
well done on finishing it looks like your bloods sugars stayed pretty good through out i have the same problem of high blood sugar before events i think it must be to do with stress or something id like to do a marathon at some point but i dont think there are many left this year