T2 and lost the plot!!!

stickman13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi All,
New to forum and first post so be kind please.
I have been T2 for a while now and test bloods and on oral tablets.
Recently however I have fallen off the wagon with my testing and controlling my diet and intake.
Basically I need help/advice on diet on what to eat and what not.
Here is really the problem, I have no time to measure quantities of this and that, check tins and packaging to see if ok to eat etc.
Basically quick and easy meals with little preparation and time, and hopefully some that I can buy from supermarkets.
I realise that I must put more effort into all of this but at times I get so down trying to keep things together.
All advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here is really the problem, I have no time to measure quantities of this and that, check tins and packaging to see if ok to eat etc.
Basically quick and easy meals with little preparation and time, and hopefully some that I can buy from supermarkets.
No, here is the real problem here. You ask for advice but with a condition that you might not take that advice if it involves " time to measure quantities of this and that, check tins and packaging" Well that's the advice you are likely to get so we have a problem. What advice did you expect?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Where do you usually shop?

Most of the big supermarkets do a few low carb option ready meal style foods, but they vary a lot from supermarket to supermarket, so if there is one you use regularly, people may be able to name actual dishes. :)

Reactions: stickman13

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You could use an app like MyFitnesPal https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.myfitnesspal.android that ease the logging of the food. Really makes easier to log the prepackaged food, and with some experience you'll start to estimate the weight of what you're eating.

Apart from this there are foods that one could eat freely, like fennels, foods that have to be eat in moderation, like carrots and nuts, and foods that have to be watched carefully, like bread, pizza, pasta, rice, potatoes and sweets.

Reactions: stickman13

Ronni.p

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know you say you don't have time to read labels, prepare foods etc, however isn't it worth spending the time to do these things for a few months to set yourself up with the knowledge of what you can eat and how it effects you, along with creating healthy habits, then once you have the knowledge you can use it to make quick and easy food choices.

Take some time to learn what works for you, to learn some healthy tasty recipes and have some back up plans for those nights when you really are just too tired to prepare anything. It's important you prioritise some time to do this for yourself. At the end of the day, if you don't, and get sick, you won't be able to fulfill your other commitments.

Ronni.p

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
PS. Don't be too hard on yourself when you get down about what you have to do. I'm sure we all do at various times. It does suck that we have to worry about it all the time and we can't just eat / drink whatever we like. Sometimes you just want to cry but at the end of the day, it is what it is, we have diabetes, we have to deal with it and set ourselves up for the healthiest life we can.