Type 2 T2 Pulling hair out - not sure what to do

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Try this as a starter (see pdf file attached)

There have been several recent studies (2016) that established that the original RCT triala were based on bad statistical methods thet allowed the results to be skewed and corrupted. So the early trials seem to be useless, but these are the ones that the doctors accept as gospel truth. I personally looked at one of these trials data sets, and it was clear that the test data did not support the claims made by the dtugs company. they claimed something like a 47% reduction in CVD deaths, wheresa the data showed that it was less than 1% and poorly correlated at that.

So I refuse to take statins simply because I think they lied about how good they were for us.

Sorry cannot disuss any further due to family comittments this weekend/
Happy festive season to all my readers. Thanks Brunneria. Happy whatsit (my daughter is an athiest and forbids me using those dreaded words)
Thanks Brunneria. I try to avoid religion in my posts since it tends to take things off topic, I know that the USA is increasingly moving secular, and I used to work for a top American firm, who when they took us over, banned us from displaying festive cards, and banning Merry Xmas etc. We had to wish each other a Happy Winter Break instead.

The UK company used to display a crib set in Reception, but this was banned, However the Menorah was permitted in Reception following a court case in US. I remember when the US banned the displaying of the 10 Commandments in US courts and public buildings.

I am pretty secular myself nowadays, but did have a spiritual moment recently. When I was in intensive care after my heart attack, I awoke from a febrile sleep to find a Sky Pilot (i,e, priest) hovering beside my bedside. Actually he was just doing his rounds, so my panic soon resided. But it did prompt a slight resurgence in good old Christian values. (slight, mind you)

Back to topic I have no hair to pull out.... My Avatar is symbolic only.

Last edited:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I have no religion and neither does the rest of my family but we always have and always will enjoyed the celebrations at Christmas. My daughter went to primary and juniors school in Soho (central London) and there were children at her school from all nationalities and religions but rather than ban anything they just celebrated everything and took it as an opportunity to learn about cultural differences and customs.

Anyway, I'd like to wish every one a Happy Christmas and healthy New Year. xx

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
Well, I am so happy to find this thread. I have had slightly raised cholesterol for over 30 years and have refused statins because-they were fairly new when I was first asked to take them and I had just been through taking several of the cox 2 inhibitors for arthritis and then seeing them taken off the market. I did not want to be a guinea pig for statins. Also, I have fatty liver issues from hemochromatosis and was concerned about statins making my liver and kidney issues (congenital high uric acid) worse. My theory for a long time has been that you have to have a body of working parts and you have to look at the affect of a treatment on all your systems. I also have a slightly prolonged clotting time and have been advised not to take aspirin for risk of hemorrhage. (Aspirin also causes an acute severe gout flare for me.) So why take something to prevent clotting (heart attack) when I already take longer to clot than normal? What I have found personally is that I have out lived relatives who chose to take statins and aspirin as advised and had a mix of the genetic conditions that I have. They died of heart attacks and complications after heart attacks and one of liver and lung cancer. They were all male and also drank alcohol so the comparison is not exactly direct but I m feeling more validated with my personal choices as time goes by. I have always eaten less meat, more whole grains and nuts and seeds than them. This was started by my pediatrician when I first started eating. I usually have oily fish at least once or twice a week. I eat flax with my steel cut oatmeal every morning. My doctor actually did not even check cholesterol at the last HA1c test (because she knows I am refusing statins and I have told her why) but I will ask her to do a lipid panel again in February with my next HA1c to see how diet changes for better glucose control have affected it. I am glad I am not the only one making this choice.

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.
:)

Nice Trig scores, on both, and a nice improvement on HDL.

Have you seen this calculator?
http://www.hughcalc.org/chol-si.php
You enter your individual numbers and it tells you whether your ratios are good, bad, optimum, etc.
MUCH more informative than the total cholesterol final figure, or the LDL figure taken out of context.

You may also find it useful to watch a few of Ken Sikaris' you tube videos. He is a cholesterol expert, who regularly speaks at conferences and to other scientists about cholesterol. I will put a few links below so you can see how chilled he is about HDL, and total cholesterol numbers.

You may also find this interesting - I did!

Hope that helps!
Hello Brunneria ! I have sent you a private message, because the link above to the calculator seems to be giving wrong info.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello Brunneria ! I have sent you a private message, because the link above to the calculator seems to be giving wrong info.

Hi @hooha

The post you have quoted is over 2 years old, so the link may well be out of date.

When I click on the link it still takes me to the correct page, but since it is not hosted by diabetes.co.uk, I cannot tell you when or how it was last updated.

I would also suggest that you check to see if you are entering your information in the same units that the calculator uses.