T2 Strongman - any others out there?

S

Sean01

1986 - peaked in bodybuilding then missed the bus and got run over by the car overtaking the bus. Game over - temporarily. Back to rugby (tight head prop) until the back became an issue and then marriage and kids - no sleep no exercise.

Torn ligaments in right foot put me on crutches for three years. I learned to walk again by taking part in the Loch Ness Marathon. 2011 - 17 miles, 2012 - last man over the line at 7 hrs 24. (check out the results (back) page!!.........and then in October 2015 T 2

Not a game over moment but a game changer. Time to start again. Total rebuild. It took a while - I'm 53 but I can now call myself a strongman (still at the junior end but hey!!)

Favourite events - any carrying, Atlas stones and log - in fact, if it uses shoulders.............I'm unreal -- even whilst recovering from a rotator cuff. First contest coming up in 2 weeks in Barton - top end of Lincs. Juniors (experience not age!!). No, I'm not going to win, but I sure as hell am not coming last - even if I am giving away 20-30 years to all my competitors. 53 - that's not old age, that's wisdom;).

In addition to diabetes - diverticulitis, 2 lots of kidney stones - surgical extraction:woot::woot:, asthma, meds for blood pressure and cholesterol.

Best thing about being T2 - game changer - I have never felt so good and so strong. I did not feel this good when I got married 20 years ago.

Worst thing: watching other people eat roast potatoes and the occasional off day

What I miss - actually grapefruit - it messes up the heart meds.

My last meal (not what I ate but what I will eat when the time comes): a grapefruit, chocolate, ice cream and a seriously good bottle of scotch. (I have a 1965 Glen Grant on standby)

OVER TO YOU

I hope there are others - it's lonely being a T2 strongman

Sean

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Well done and congratulations in advance. I'm not a strongman, but I have recently gone heavier on weights. It looks like strength increases can attained the more senior one gets. I have found that my connectors do not keep up. A couple of weeks ago I thought I would try a 170 kg deadlift, I did this easily.….but I have a wrist issue which means I can only do push-ups as opposed to bench presses. But at the same time I have upped my single dumb bell over head presses to 28 kg, from 20 kg, again easy.

It looks to me that I can make gains in strength (which have had a knock on effect of some fbg's being under 4.0) but I may have to take several months for the connectors to catch up with the ultimate abelites. Also, I have found around a 5% rise in blood pressure, so this is probably going to make me stick.

Good luck with your competition.

S

Sean01

Well done and congratulations in advance. I'm not a strongman, but I have recently gone heavier on weights. It looks like strength increases can attained the more senior one gets. I have found that my connectors do not keep up. A couple of weeks ago I thought I would try a 170 kg deadlift, I did this easily.….but I have a wrist issue which means I can only do push-ups as opposed to bench presses. But at the same time I have upped my single dumb bell over head presses to 28 kg, from 20 kg, again easy.

It looks to me that I can make gains in strength (which have had a knock on effect of some fbg's being under 4.0) but I may have to take several months for the connectors to catch up with the ultimate abelites. Also, I have found around a 5% rise in blood pressure, so this is probably going to make me stick.

Good luck with your competition.

Thanks @Mbaker.
You may be a stronger strongman than me. I have my weaknesses. The contest includes £150Kg deadlift for reps ( one minute) from an 18 inch block - I'm a beginner. Last night was a breakthrough moment. I have worked out that the first rep is all about fear - weak left leg (plates and screws on the femur from getting run over and the weakness in my lower back) but yesterday, I realised that after the 1st rep - the rest is easy. ( A little bit of 'beserker' probably helped) Up from my previous best by 5 reps.

As for the wrist issue - have you tried wraps - really thick ones (cerberus??) They massively make a difference, physically and psychologically, but I hear you. You get to a certain age where the brain wants something to brag about, the muscles might show willing and actually step up to the plate, but its the connectors that say 'Ahem, you do know how old you are, don't you?'.

Strongman or not, lifting heavier is better although, I'm sure that as with most things, extremes are not that good. But as for the blood pressure - I'm on meds but reduced them by 50% over the last 2 years and my blood pressure is now down to 'normal'.

Training should open up the vessels - reducing blood pressure - if only temporarily and the 'whoosh' of blood going through should keep the pipes clean. I had an ECG recently - clean as a whistle (they were surprised bearing in mind my build.)

Apart from the actual training and general diet (very low carb, but not shy when it comes to fats and protein) I have CINNAMON at least twice a day - usually a big hit in my protein shake - this is a great natural product for reducing blood pressure.

Good luck with the training.

Sean
T2 Oct 15. Met time release, diet (high protein/paleo) a lot of water and black coffee and exercise.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I do have straps and my own personal trainer (my wife is a PT, Sports Scientist and Physio). She has told me to rest the injuries thoroughly, but I am impatient.

I have not been able to do dumb bell based bicep curls for weeks, so use a resistant band in a hammer curl fashion to get some activation of the bicep.

I am going to increase the spices again, thanks for the reminder.

Reactions: Sean01
S

Sean01

I did my first car deadlift today. 53. I had to. I wasn't going to get beaten by a group of younger athlete in their 20's, 30's and 40's.

samochod

I used to put up pretty decent powerlifting numbers. But over the past few years my body has seized up really badly (can't raise arm past parallel, head stuck 8 inches forwards, legs completely seized) and pretty severe pain to go with it. I deadlifted 300kg and now cannot put on a pair of socks without using bbq tongs to help. Keep at it, there's no more manly feeling than moving heavy stuff.

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Competed in Strongman a good few years ago, missed out on Britains finals narrowly, too many injuries to mention through lifting heavy. Diabetes complications set in (Eyes, lots of treatment) and am now going into Powerlifting, must be mad, but my belief is diabetes doesn't stop us it just makes us stronger. And we just prove it to ourselves in the gym. My one bit of advice for the competition is Enjoy it, its a blast and the friendliest atmosphere going, I loved competing, missed the banter that comes from people who "get" that you want to pick up, and sometimes run, with heavy stuff.

S

Sean01

Competed in Strongman a good few years ago, missed out on Britains finals narrowly, too many injuries to mention through lifting heavy. Diabetes complications set in (Eyes, lots of treatment) and am now going into Powerlifting, must be mad, but my belief is diabetes doesn't stop us it just makes us stronger. And we just prove it to ourselves in the gym. My one bit of advice for the competition is Enjoy it, its a blast and the friendliest atmosphere going, I loved competing, missed the banter that comes from people who "get" that you want to pick up, and sometimes run, with heavy stuff.
Thank you!.....calm before the storm. Left shoulder was injured but mended, Right shoulder went on Friday (same problem - osteo knew exactly what to do. My upper body is ready - bring on the log. I trained legs over the week end but couldn't do yoke or farmers due to engaging delts/traps - so it's going down tonight and tomorrow, but the general aches and pains - I don't think I've ever worked this hard in over 30 years.............but loving every bit of it.

You are right about the atmosphere - even in general training and generally in the gym - it's the best.

I was starting to get nerves - six days to go, but thanks to your post - bring it on. Now, I'm getting excited. Is there anything better than picking up heavy awkward stuff and putting it down somewhere else?

Probably not!

Sean

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you!.....calm before the storm. Left shoulder was injured but mended, Right shoulder went on Friday (same problem - osteo knew exactly what to do. My upper body is ready - bring on the log. I trained legs over the week end but couldn't do yoke or farmers due to engaging delts/traps - so it's going down tonight and tomorrow, but the general aches and pains - I don't think I've ever worked this hard in over 30 years.............but loving every bit of it.

You are right about the atmosphere - even in general training and generally in the gym - it's the best.

I was starting to get nerves - six days to go, but thanks to your post - bring it on. Now, I'm getting excited. Is there anything better than picking up heavy awkward stuff and putting it down somewhere else?

Probably not!

Sean
Are you using a "dip" in the legs on the Log?? if you drive with the legs it "helps" to remove shoulders out of the press, I always likened it to trying to "throw" the log through the roof. As for the yoke make sure that you tighten the core up before you pick it up, I liken that to "bracing" before a squat, and don't try and take too big a step as it will fairly knacker your lower back. As for Farmers, remember that your arms and hands are there just to hold them, nothing more, make the arms as long as possible, and start moving forward before you finish standing up, its harder to do than explain!! But I'm sure you will do well, nothing like "firing up " before a comp, I've actually forgotten how to do it. Smash the competition when you do it.

S

Sean01

Are you using a "dip" in the legs on the Log?? if you drive with the legs it "helps" to remove shoulders out of the press, I always likened it to trying to "throw" the log through the roof. As for the yoke make sure that you tighten the core up before you pick it up, I liken that to "bracing" before a squat, and don't try and take too big a step as it will fairly knacker your lower back. As for Farmers, remember that your arms and hands are there just to hold them, nothing more, make the arms as long as possible, and start moving forward before you finish standing up, its harder to do than explain!! But I'm sure you will do well, nothing like "firing up " before a comp, I've actually forgotten how to do it. Smash the competition when you do it.

Hi. We're ready. My whole body is a life support system for my shoulders - I don't need to dip the legs at this weight - which is lucky because I am so uncoordinated. I can rep out at around 80kgs with no legs. The contest weight is 60. This is MY event. Thanks for the tips on bracing. I'm warming up with heavy shrugs because my traps feel it in the farmers and you ar right - small steps. Again, comfortable at contest weight plus plus plus. Yoke will be the test but in over 40 year, tonight I had my best ever squat session. Getting the weight off the ground is no longer an issue...........walking with it........that bit's going to take some determination. Very excited. The event is being screened on facebook. I will get hold of the link and post it to you - but it is Warriors Gym in Barton, Lincolnshire.

Thanks for the tips

Sean

Reactions: johnpol

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi. We're ready. My whole body is a life support system for my shoulders - I don't need to dip the legs at this weight - which is lucky because I am so uncoordinated. I can rep out at around 80kgs with no legs. The contest weight is 60. This is MY event. Thanks for the tips on bracing. I'm warming up with heavy shrugs because my traps feel it in the farmers and you ar right - small steps. Again, comfortable at contest weight plus plus plus. Yoke will be the test but in over 40 year, tonight I had my best ever squat session. Getting the weight off the ground is no longer an issue...........walking with it........that bit's going to take some determination. Very excited. The event is being screened on facebook. I will get hold of the link and post it to you - but it is Warriors Gym in Barton, Lincolnshire.

Thanks for the tips

Sean
Well it sounds like you are ready to go, smash the comp do what you have trained to do and most of all enjoy it! if there is some more experienced competitors there and you talk to them they will pass on knowledge and tips, the strength community is brilliant at helping people out. Really hope you do well.

S

Sean01

Well it sounds like you are ready to go, smash the comp do what you have trained to do and most of all enjoy it! if there is some more experienced competitors there and you talk to them they will pass on knowledge and tips, the strength community is brilliant at helping people out. Really hope you do well.
Thanks. you are right so much more friendly than body building from my memories in the 80's. We are both resting now (my wife is competing in the ladies beginners too - so it should be a fantastic day. Can't wait for the kids to step up to the mark. They both throw bales of hay around like nobody's business - the stones are next!

Thanks for your support. Look out for Warriors Gym Barton on facebook - this is where the comp is on Sunday.

Sean

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks. you are right so much more friendly than body building from my memories in the 80's. We are both resting now (my wife is competing in the ladies beginners too - so it should be a fantastic day. Can't wait for the kids to step up to the mark. They both throw bales of hay around like nobody's business - the stones are next!

Thanks for your support. Look out for Warriors Gym Barton on facebook - this is where the comp is on Sunday.

Sean
Seriously good luck to you both, enjoy it, it's actually really fun

S

Sean01

Seriously good luck to you both, enjoy it, it's actually really fun
Everything you said and better - great crowd, great atmosphere and very friendly. People were even filming us and sending the videos on to us. Sarah Jane - wife 5th - highlight - 29 reps on the 100kg deadlift (from an 18 inch block) Timed for 1 minute
I was apprehensive about the deadlift - My best in training was 7-10. I kwew I would do more on the day because of the crowd etc, but 24!!!!!!!! at 150kg. Incredible. Never felt like throwing up so much in all my life after than one - Brilliant.

Up until that point - we were both trailing in our classes. But after the deadlift - we moved right up the leader boards - all of a sudden we were in the game.

End of the day Sarah Jane 5th, I came 19th but because of the joint positions in the middle, in reality I was 25th out of 28 - One chap asked me how old I was and saw the diabetes wrist bands. He said he was 24 and hoped to be as fit as I was by the time he got to 40.

That's a win.

Fantastic week end - we're going to do it again, next summer - just need to get the A levels out of the way.

All the best

Sean

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Everything you said and better - great crowd, great atmosphere and very friendly. People were even filming us and sending the videos on to us. Sarah Jane - wife 5th - highlight - 29 reps on the 100kg deadlift (from an 18 inch block) Timed for 1 minute
I was apprehensive about the deadlift - My best in training was 7-10. I kwew I would do more on the day because of the crowd etc, but 24!!!!!!!! at 150kg. Incredible. Never felt like throwing up so much in all my life after than one - Brilliant.

Up until that point - we were both trailing in our classes. But after the deadlift - we moved right up the leader boards - all of a sudden we were in the game.

End of the day Sarah Jane 5th, I came 19th but because of the joint positions in the middle, in reality I was 25th out of 28 - One chap asked me how old I was and saw the diabetes wrist bands. He said he was 24 and hoped to be as fit as I was by the time he got to 40.

That's a win.

Fantastic week end - we're going to do it again, next summer - just need to get the A levels out of the way.

All the best

Sean
Sound's like you both had a brilliant day, you really showed the young 'uns what "oldies" can do!! Brilliant, well done

S

Sean01

@IronLioness - hope you are well and training hard. I just wanted to let you know - I did it! Now I'm getting ready to do it again in the same way that I train - like last time but more.

Reactions: IronLioness

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
@IronLioness - hope you are well and training hard. I just wanted to let you know - I did it! Now I'm getting ready to do it again in the same way that I train - like last time but more.
@Sean01 That's blooming FANTASTIC!!! Well done, squire!!! I'm good, still on it, and haven't been off track once since diagnosis, yippee! Trying to make it through Christmas, then a two week holiday in southern USA - land of the BBQ and soul food, read: temptation! yikes! I'll be good though. So, when's your next big power comp? How do you feel now?

S

Sean01

@Sean01 That's blooming FANTASTIC!!! Well done, squire!!! I'm good, still on it, and haven't been off track once since diagnosis, yippee! Trying to make it through Christmas, then a two week holiday in southern USA - land of the BBQ and soul food, read: temptation! yikes! I'll be good though. So, when's your next big power comp? How do you feel now?
Hi @IronLioness

How do I feel - yesterday was bad - constant cramping in my hamstrings and back but feeling a lot better today - still tired. I'm not training at all this week and I've cut down on the food intake. I need to loose a bit of belly.. Christmas is a challenge. This is how I get through it.

Make a list of all things you miss or all the food you know you shouldn't eat and then have them - just the once over the Christmas period:

a mince pie with clotted cream (although clotted cream is not bad!!)
A satsuma
some chocolate
A roast potatoe
roast parsnips
a slice of Christmas cake
Toast
Cinnamon bagel
A few slices of a Terry's Chocolate orange - but I may save those for the dog walk.

Not worried about alcohol or fizzy drinks

What I would really love though - is a grape fruit - but that would throw all my other meds into turmoil

You should do fine with the bbq - all that meat - just watch the bbq sauces

Incidentally, one of the highlights of the competition was the picnic I packed (I can eat anything cold) grilled bacon and wild boar sausages - yum!

Just make your list and enjoy ticking them off. Life gets easier _ I am sure my list used to be longer

Next contest - after the kids finish their A levels in the summer - then possibly Exeter. There's a beginners comp - I just need to check that I can lift the weights. and it looks like we might go back to Barton this time next year - lots of great people.

A couple of pics of the real me - but I only grew the beard because it was a strongman contest. Back to clean shaven again

Take care and approach Christmas with confidence, just pace yourself, make sure you walk (if nothing else) but its the USA - go and find an amazing gym and do something amazing that you will remember for the erst of your life.

Sean

46507983_2162529830464107_8688538631570194432_n.jpg

46809999_2162530017130755_9203693480252014592_n.jpg

Reactions: IronLioness