Tagging in

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is it just me or is anyone else fed up of the constant tagging in of the information sheet for new members. Twice within a few posts in the last thread I was reading. Surely every new person signing up could receive this as they sign up. We live in the 21st century with great technology. Surely it should be simple enough to sign up and receive important information in one go. Saving us all from this constant tagging in.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally I get fed up with people replying to a thread by quoting the entire post that someone has made.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Is it just me or is anyone else fed up of the constant tagging in of the information sheet for new members. Twice within a few posts in the last thread I was reading. Surely every new person signing up could receive this as they sign up. We live in the 21st century with great technology. Surely it should be simple enough to sign up and receive important information in one go. Saving us all from this constant tagging in.

I agree it is annoying to see so many of these posts. A lot of the tags are duplicated, too, and some are unnecessary, and many newcomers have already seen them when lurking as a guest. However, they do contain a lot of useful stuff. Maybe something could be done. I actually feel sorry for daisy who has to answer the tags!

Reactions: Robbity

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it's much nicer to get it personally. Daisy is wonderful for providing it every time she's tagged.

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
and what annoys me most is some people clearly haven't read the whole thread before posting.
It happens when people are posting while you are writing or when having multiple tabs open on the computer.
Personally I get fed up with people replying to a thread by quoting the entire post that someone has made.
Let's exclude everyone who hasn't discovered how to reply to only part of a thread from the forum.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I actually feel sorry for daisy who has to answer the tags!
I think Daisy is well capable of letting us know if she doesn't want to do this anymore. The issue has been up before and as far as I remember she's let it be known that she likes to help this way.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You could put daisy on ignore then you wouldn't see her posts - I'm sure she would understand :)

As to quoting the whole post I'll apologise in advance but it's the on,y way I know how to do it and I can't be bothered finding out how

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, of course it does. It also happens when the post is made hours or days later.
In that case I somewhat agree. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, and I like people who are not too computer savvy or smart to use the forum as well.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
As to quoting the whole post I'll apologise in advance but it's the on,y way I know how to do it and I can't be bothered finding out how
I'll tell you anyway, in case you'll ever find it useful: Just select (left mouse button or whatever way you use to select part of text on your phone) the part you want to quote, and a small reply button appears next to the selected text.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I did learn how to snip but have forgotten... again. I didn't realise it was annoying.

Reactions: kitedoc
M

Member496333

I have often thought that a link to a webpage would be a cleaner way of doing it, but it’s never crossed my mind as being a problem. Just skim past it. You’ll be half a second older by the time you get to the next post but at least your insulin sensitivity will have improved while you waited ;)

Gosh darnit OP is T1 :(

M

Member496333

I have often thought that a link to a webpage would be a cleaner way of doing it, but it’s never crossed my mind as being a problem. Just skim past it. You’ll be half a second older by the time you get to the next post but at least your insulin sensitivity will have improved while you waited ;)

And the problem with a linked webpage is that you’d get about a dozen people posting the same link, so shut up Jim :meh:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We recently had a new poster who was very upset not to have Daisy1’s message posted on their thread, even though they had seen it elsewhere on other threads.

Basically, no matter what is done, there are some who like it, and others who don’t.
Can’t win ‘em all.

I do, however, think that @lovinglife ‘s suggestion to use the IGNORE function is a very good one, for anyone who doesn’t wish to see Daisy1’s helpful posts.

D

Deleted member 308541

I do, however, think that @lovinglife ‘s suggestion to use the IGNORE function is a very good one, for anyone who doesn’t wish to see Daisy1’s helpful posts.
A quick flick on the mouse wheel will scroll past Daisy's post if you do not want to read it works for me.

I never had her guide when I first joined, but I had already read the link that is stickied in one of the forums, and is also in staff sigs.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.26870/

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest, I'm not certain our feedback on the Daisy info is of any consequence, as we've already seen it many, many times before. If it offends, the the simplest way for anyone who finds it irritating, is to do what we should do with any other irritating member; puts the poster on ignore. That then takes all their content out of your view.

In my observation, many people find it helpful and particularly say so.

Providing it at the outset is all very well, but let's be brutally honest here. How many of us actually read the T&Cs of any place we join, in any detail. On that basis, I think many, if not most, most new joiners would ignore it or gloss over it.

For T2s in particular, we have many new members here whose belief is they already eat a very diabetes-friendly diet, by going low fat, good starch, so once they've been here a short while, they maybe garner more from Daisy's post.

Additionally, I know when I join a new forum, I am joining it because I want something from it, so, on joining I want access to something I can't get without signing up. In DCUK's case, that would generally be the ability to post. So, in my circumstance, I'd have been likely to brush aside "all these mails", to get to the ability to post.

In my experience in Change; people want what they think they want; which isn't necessarily the same as what they need.

Additionally, every Mod's signature should carry a link to Daisy's post, so that can be used, or copied by any member as and when required.

I think @daisy1 does a stellar job, and I personally thank her for her dilligence and endless generosity.