Taken off gliclazide

KathrynB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My last HBA1C was 42, so happy with that. I'm just a bit worried that my DN asked my doctor whether I could reduce my meds and she has taken me off gliclazide. I'm still on the highest dose of metformin which is fine. I have lost 4kilos since May and upped my exercise but I'm concerned that my glucose levels will rise a lot without the gliclazide. Has anyone any experience of stopping gliclazide and keep levels down?

Reactions: kitedoc

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Theyre probably worried about hypos.
My gliclazide dose was halved last year as my hba1c was in non diabetic territory and the consultant was worried re hypos, I was worried about high BG on the other hand
What Ive found is that
1) overall blood sugars are ok and the predicted hba1c on mysugr is currently 41.7 as opposed to being 40 last year before the meds were dropped
2) when I do get higher sugars due to illness or stress, they go higher and stay there a bit longer than before the reduction
3) I need to work harder in order to keep my sugars pretty flat ( by which I mean max varience of 1.5mmol over a 24hr period) but still manage it much / most of the time

Last edited:

KathrynB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for your reply. Yes it was the risk of hypos she was worried about, I forgot to add that. I'll just have to see how it goes- if I have to go back on them that's fine, I just don't want to risk long term high levels

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your reply. Yes it was the risk of hypos she was worried about, I forgot to add that. I'll just have to see how it goes- if I have to go back on them that's fine, I just don't want to risk long term high levels

It is always worth giving it a try without. You can keep an eye on your levels if you self test frequently enough, and can always go back on it.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i asked the consultant if I could have a repeat hba1c after 3 months so I could keep a check on things - he said it wasnt really necessary as when youre on a low dose of gliclazide ( I was on 60mg slow release) it doesnt do a massive amount so reductions dont affect BG too dramatically so he just put me onto a 9 month review period rather than the usual 1 year - for peace of mind I would still have liked an earlier repeat hba1c - maybe your DSN might be more accomodating

KathrynB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think it's going to be 6 months until my next hba1c. I'm lucky enough to be able to use test strips so I'm going to keep a close eye on my levels over the next weeks and months

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it's going to be 6 months until my next hba1c. I'm lucky enough to be able to use test strips so I'm going to keep a close eye on my levels over the next weeks and months
Hi, if the gp prescribes the test strips, you may find that these are removed from your list of meds if you are no longer on the glicazide - sneaky but true!

KathrynB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, if the gp prescribes the test strips, you may find that these are removed from your list of meds if you are no longer on the glicazide - sneaky but true!
Yes that's what I was thinking. I looked on my record online and the strips are still there. The DN said she thinks all type 2s who want them should have them so maybr it's practice policy. I would be able to afford them if not, luckily, so should be ok if they suddenly change their minds.

Ladylaurax

I was taking 5 metformin, 1 number 40mg glicalize, and 80mg forxiga. Gliclazide was stopped as HB1AC was 45 in September, since then my forxiga is working harder and produces a unpleasant side effect as a result of working harder. At my next 3 month check my HB1AC went up to 53, I know it’s not gone up a lot but I personally have felt a difference, I don’t tend to get any readings under 12 on a morning before breakfast. I am starting Victoza this week
Abit nervous but feeling positive

All I can say is, if you start to feel unwell and symptomatic again then go back to your doctor (they always tell me this at my practice). However I would hold off going before the 3 month mark as they are unlikely to test your HB1AC before then if you go back

Good luck