Taking a break from the pump

nix11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi there
I would really appreciate some help. I'm going sailing for 2 weeks. I don't want to take the pump as I'm worried about malfunction, spending a long time snorkelling, where to put it when wearing a bathing costume or sundress. So I've stocked up on pens. My endo looked very sceptical when I told him my plan and said take the pump and use the pens for emergencies. But I want to override that advice for the reasons I mentioned. I'm taking 2 meters and will test all the time. Planning to take 10u long acting in the evening and 10u in the morning. Am I taking an undue risk.?Will I experience terrible hi's and lo's? Leaving on Sunday and have disconnected from the pump for short trial period. Has anyone else taken a break from the pump and what was the experience?
Thank you
Nix11

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi there
I would really appreciate some help. I'm going sailing for 2 weeks. I don't want to take the pump as I'm worried about malfunction, spending a long time snorkelling, where to put it when wearing a bathing costume or sundress. So I've stocked up on pens. My endo looked very sceptical when I told him my plan and said take the pump and use the pens for emergencies. But I want to override that advice for the reasons I mentioned. I'm taking 2 meters and will test all the time. Planning to take 10u long acting in the evening and 10u in the morning. Am I taking an undue risk.?Will I experience terrible hi's and lo's? Leaving on Sunday and have disconnected from the pump for short trial period. Has anyone else taken a break from the pump and what was the experience?
Thank you
Nix11

Hi there, personally I wouldn't come off my pump, only if I was swimming, I wouldn't worry about a malfunction, you are safe to take it off for up to an hour, then correct any highs. I am unsure why you want to do this, as there will be an adjustment on going back onto 2 injections and the fear of running high/low again, is it worth the worry ?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi there @nix11
a very warm welcome to the forum :)

I am not sure which pump you are on -- would it be possible to contact the supplier and ask for a spare to take on holiday with you - that you return after arriving home.
( i am thinking on further reading of your post it is too late to get a spare in time before you leave )

I have seen other people on pumps reply that they give themselves a small correction( to replace the basal lost by disconnecting ) and then remove the pump for swimming which could be another way of dealing with the pump and water.

ultimately it is you that has to manage yourself on holiday.
do let us know how you get on whichever way you decide to handle things.

have a great holiday !!