Taking a shower with Medtronic 640G

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Looking for some advice from all of the experienced pumpers. Last week I got my first pump the Medtronic 640G and I am due to "go live" with this on Tuesday.

How do you guys shower with the pump. Is it just a case of disconnecting the pump for the short period. If so, do you protect the canulla part attached to your body.

Any advice greatly appreciated. TIA

D

Deleted Account

I unplug and don't find I need to do anything to protect the cannula.
If I am disconnected for more than 30 minutes, I give myself a bolus equivalent to half an hour of basal.
This is the same whether I disconnect for shower, bath. swimming, massage, spa.
The only time, I don't do the bolus - basal top up is if I disconnect for exercise.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I unplug too for the short time I shower there's no need to wear it.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I just unplug mine for the short time I am in the shower. I do use the canula cover (at the moment, just because it's new lol)

Reactions: kitedoc

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
Same here, unplug it. Technically it’s water resistant (not waterproof) so if you want to out a rope around your neck and hang it from that go for it, but normally I have just done battle with Ms Dawn Phenomen, so I have plenty of insulin swishing about.

Reactions: kitedoc and porl69

Jeannie3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Looking for some advice from all of the experienced pumpers. Last week I got my first pump the Medtronic 640G and I am due to "go live" with this on Tuesday.

How do you guys shower with the pump. Is it just a case of disconnecting the pump for the short period. If so, do you protect the canulla part attached to your body.

Any advice greatly appreciated. TIA
Hi there

Just unplug the pump when you're about to go in... attach the clip you get in your cannula packs - have shower - come out get dry - unclick the clip and plug back in !!!

Reactions: kitedoc

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
And just remember it is not 'soap on the rope' !!

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
And just remember it is not 'soap on the rope' !!
Now I know what has been going wrong. My BGL has been really high, but my blood has been really really clean and very bubbly. Who said we need medical professionals to solve our D problems

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
Hi there

Just unplug the pump when you're about to go in... attach the clip you get in your cannula packs - have shower - come out get dry - unclick the clip and plug back in !!!

Those clips are a good idea to use to protect an unplugged site when swimming in the ocean.