Taking my diabetic daughter to Egypt.

bluemoon22

Hello all,

My 11 year old daughter was diagnosed type 1 6 months ago.She has been really brave and shown real determination to steady her sugar levels,although sometimes it is a real struggle.
We are going to Egypt for 2 weeks shortly and would welcome anyone's advice on travelling abroad and helping her have a great time.

Many thanks.

Grazer

Hi bluemoon, I can't really help you because I'm a type 2 and thus not on the meds your daughter is, but I wanted to say welcome. I'm sure some T1s will be along soon. I'm sure she'll love Egypt- took my daughter there when she was about that age and she loved it.

bluemoon22

Hi Grazer,
thanks for the reply and welcome.
I hope you are keeping well :)
I know she will have a great time there whilst being a normal little girl.

imalittlefishy

Wow, Egypt sounds wonderful! I've never been, but from other holidays my best advice would be keep a very close eye on her blood sugars for the first few days...between the heat and all the extra exercise that seems to happen on holiday her insulin may need reducing quite a lot. Also I would make sure she has some sweets or similar in her pocket when you're out and about just in case she has a hypo and it's not easy to get hold of some food right away. The only other thing is, if you're flying, get a letter from your GP saying that she has diabetes and so needs to carry needles, it will save you a lot of hassle at the airport. And enjoy! Hope you have a really lovely time :)
xx

leggott

Always keep insulin in your hand luggage and worth while taking extra of everything including a bg meter incase it gets broken or lost. Frio bags excellent for keeping insulin cool. Hand wipes for beach to clean fingers of sand before blood testing. We also take the glucogel and I have taken a hypo stop before which you can get on prescription.

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
I'd agree on the Frio bag - they're pretty good - google them for more info.

I've never had a problem taking insulin and diabetic equipment through any airports or customs - it's not something you need to declare and insulin doesn't need to be removed from the X-Ray machine - check with them if you are worried.

I'm not aware of having issues with diabetes control and heat - but apparently some can. It's not a given though.

You'll need to make arrangement to keep the extra supply of insulin in a fridge whilst there; if you don't have one in your room speak to the hotel reception and explain that it needs to go in the fridge (not the freezer - that has happened to me once so beware - frozen insulin is no good to anyone!)

Take a reasonable amount of normal supplies, possibly an extra pen (if that's what your using) and plenty of blood testing gear. Dextrose tablets are an essential or some other fast acting glucose tablet.

If you lose the lot - don't worry too much you can normally replace everything (possibly at a cost) by worst case scenario going to a hospital but possibly you can just buy everything from a chemist - a number of countries don't require prescriptions to get diabetic equipment. Possibly google that for Egypt just so you know.

Also check out your insurance and make sure your daughter is not excluded because of her diabetes.

And once you've had a think about all the above just have a great holiday!

Dillinger

AMBrennan

I'm not aware of having issues with diabetes control and heat
Official word is that heat increases the effectiveness of insulin. Personally, I think that this is plausible enough but my trip to San Jose happened to coincide with a bad honeymoon so I can't be sure.

Further, I don't think a fridge is necessary as such - insulin can be stored at room temperature (e.g. a Frio wallet is sufficient) for a month.
Official word is to take twice the amount of medication normally needed which would not even result in wastage if you are concerned about that.

sugar2

I never leave the country without a few packets of ginger biscuits... although the origin f this is lost in the mists of time! Especially if she is on injections, rather than a pump, you should have a "few meals" worth of carbohydrate to hand. I have only ever needed this once...when getting stuck in snow when on honeymoon in the states. we turned up at a hotel..with a power cut, and no food. Even the vending machine needed power. So, the ginger biscuits came in handy. They stand up pretty well to be knocked about, I like them but don't love them so no chance of having too many ).

Sounds lovely. Like others have said, take extra insulin and loads of test strips. If you haven't already, get a spare pen etc, just in case. I have never had a issue with temperature and storage....as I have never been lucky enough to be away for more than 2 weeks, so I would say only an issue if you don't have air con.

lynncumming

Hi there, we were in Egypt last year with my diabetic son, daughter and husband ! (lots of diabetes in our family). You'll have a wonderful time and they are lovely people, one of the best holidays ever. It's very very hot so I've found on any foreign holiday that we've had to reduce insulin level as the heat and sweating burns off a lot. Also found that I was able to let them have as many ice lollies and ice cream as they wanted and had no problem with this at all, so a nice treat for them too. Just keep an eye on her diet too, have found that you tend not to be as hungry when its so hot so just keep an eye on her carbohydrate intake.
I'd try not to worry too much and just have a fab holiday, am really envious!! :D

leggott

Welcome to the site Lynn. I too have a husband, daughter and son with type 1 so I imagine your household is chaotic as mine!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
A tip I was given by my DSN was to carry the tear-off slip attached to prescriptions so that you can present this to a hospital/emergency doctor in the event that you lose your supplies, these order forms usually detail all your insulin & consumables as well as other meds you happen to be taking at the time.

Enjoy Egypt! :)

bluemoon22

imalittlefishy said:
Wow, Egypt sounds wonderful! I've never been, but from other holidays my best advice would be keep a very close eye on her blood sugars for the first few days...between the heat and all the extra exercise that seems to happen on holiday her insulin may need reducing quite a lot. Also I would make sure she has some sweets or similar in her pocket when you're out and about just in case she has a hypo and it's not easy to get hold of some food right away. The only other thing is, if you're flying, get a letter from your GP saying that she has diabetes and so needs to carry needles, it will save you a lot of hassle at the airport. And enjoy! Hope you have a really lovely time :)
xx

Thanks little fishy !! anxious but really excited at the same time.There are other children coming with us as well so i want er just to have as normal a time as possible without having to worry to much about her illness.

bluemoon22

Many thanks for all your comments,looking forward to all of it.I was concerned about the All-Inclusive part of it but hopefully we can balance everything out so we all have a fab time. :D

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
bluemoon22 said:
Many thanks for all your comments,looking forward to all of it.I was concerned about the All-Inclusive part of it but hopefully we can balance everything out so we all have a fab time. :D

Let us know how it all went when you get back bluemoon! :)

sophie7

I have many holiday experiences being a type 1, so have some useful ancedotes that i have gathered over time!

Firstly, always make sure that you have back-up kit. We normally divide my medication between all of our cases - in case a bag goes missing, and between our hand luggage.
Also, british airports are normally very good, but do just tell the people at customs, before the bag is scanned, "my daughter is a type 1 diabetic so her medication is in this bag". Don't be surprised if they do quickly check your bag after's it been scanned; nothing to worry about, and they're really nice about it. Just generally with all of this though, as someone who is diabetic - I just like everything to be as normal as possible. With customs and everything, sometimes my dad especially can get quite panicky, and I personally always fee much better travelling, when it's just 'something i have to do' - my dad literally is like screaming at the security guard "she's diabetic!".
Also, sounds obvious, but for hypo corrections during the flight, make sure you take food as opposed to drink - one time my mum packed juice, we got it confiscated at the check-in desk and i had a hypo - not the best start to the holiday!
And like other people have said, always have food supplies with you - especially somewhere like Egypt, where the food wasn't always great for me. It's also worth putting a packet of digestive biscuits in the case, just as back-up food. *Also, sometimes the hotter climate can cause hypos; it does for me anyway - the doctors says it's something about the speed at which the insulin works? So yes, just keep testing.
Final point: with regards to supplies, literally take about 3x more than you need! We were in New York when the volcanic eruption happened two years ago, and it was literally a nightmare as we nearly ran out of supplies. Especially with somewhere like Egypt, where there won't be supplies there (at least we were in America). Yes, just take loads of supplies - nothing to lose by doing so.

Hope I've helped. This is all really from personal experience. My main thing would be to just enjoy it, and don't make the diabetes a big deal - I always like things to be as 'normal' and as calm as possible on holiday. But at the same time, do test frequently- the last thing you want is hypos or hypers affecting the holiday.

Have an amazing time!

Sophie :)

nickystokes29

Hi there, firstly let me say your daughter will love Egypt, ive been twice and it was amazing. In terms of her diabetes i would just say that ensure she keeps her insulin in a cool dry place as its very hot and the heat will not help her insulin. You may find that her sugars run lower as the heat, activity and sweat may cause her to have hypos so just ensure that she keeps a regular check of her sugar levels. Make sure before you fly she has a letter from her gp or hospital consultant stating what meds she is on, just incase they wonder why she has needles and meds with her. Also ensure that she keeps her meds/needles etc in her hand luggage and not her case. Its also a good idea to ask another person to carry some in theres in case she looses her bag.

Make sure she gets insurance too, its not expensive normally about £20 and is well worth it as if she becomes unwell she may need treatment.

My experiences with Egypt have been great apart from the dreaded "pharo's revenge" Lol alot of holidaymakers get it, bad stomach cramps and diaorreah. Ensure she drinks lots of fluids and ask the local barman to make her the peppermint tea, it cured me straight away although it is very sweet.

Anyway tell her to enjoy and relax, i hope you have a fantastic time.

Nicky xx

bluemoon22

Hello all,

We are all back safe and well !

My daughter had a great time and sampled as much ice cream,cakes etc as she could eat without any problems.

I dropped her insulin doses slightly so she wouldn't come down to quick and replemished her sugars with sips of fruit juices,fanta etc as she was doing a lot of swimming,playing etc.

We had a couple of low readings during our stay but they were soon rectified.

I was really anxious taking her on her first trip abroad but all went well........roll on the next holiday :D

Thanks to you all for your advice.

Bindarry

Hi Bluemoon

My son was diagnosed with Type 1 in December and we have decided to take a well deserved holiday to Egypt in three weeks time and have been feeling anxious with the whole thing!!

Only just getting our heads round it at home let alone being in a foreign country. But think its something the whole family needs.

Was the hotel clean etc and what do you do about the time difference as this would put his meal times out by two hours!

I am so glad to hear your daughter had a fab time and you were able to let her swim and carry on with normal activities if you have any advise at all regarding your visit from airport to hotel I would be grateful

We only just got him back to school at the end of January so we are still very text book with his treatment and carb counting etc

THanks

Belinda

bluemoon22

Hi Belinda,

I hope you enjoy Egypt,my daughter had a great time.After consulting her Nurse before we went away i felt a little less anxious about the trip.I as more concerned about her just having a normal time with her siblings rather than worrying about her condition.

Due to the fact she would be more continually active than in the UK ie swimming,running around etc i dropped her insulin doses by a unit or two so she didn't come down to quickly.The first 3/4 days involved more blood sugar testing to see how her levels were.Again she understood this and and was hence then allowed the all inclusive ice creams,cakes etc in moderation.She is not on carb counting yet so everything is gauged on her bs levels.I took two lots of her medical needs to cover 3+ weeks just incase we had any delays or lost any of her supplies,i separated her medicals over two hand luggage bags in case one went missing / got damaged.It is a good idea to take a copy of your son's perscription showing his medication Between her main meals and whilst she was playing i would give her slips of fruit juice every 30/40 mins and a biscuit just to keep her levels up between her main meals.I brought two big packets of Digestives and two boxes of Tracker bars with us from the UK just for that purpose.The Tracker bars are slow burning and are a good infill between meals.The digestives also doubled up as a bed time snack !! You should also take a letter from your son's Nurse / Doctor explaining why you are carrying needles,insulin etc,in you bags although when we showed this to customs on both sides they didn't check our bags.She had a couple of low bs readings over the two weeks mainly due to having missed a mid meal snack but these were rectified with Glucose tablets and biscuits very quickly.I was advised to take a product called Dioralyte to give to her in case she got an upset tummy,this would help replace any body salts,luckily we didn't need to use any.If you go on any trips take a damp hand cloth to wash his hands before bs tests,I purchased some X3 Hand Sanitiser from the Medical shop,web site : http://www.medicalshop.co.uk/search.php which is alcohol free and in a spray form and did the trick.They also supply Frio bags which once activated in cold water keep the insulin cool and at the correct temperature.Both products were essential on the 3 day trips we made.

We found our Hotel to be extremely clean and the staff were great.They even supplied bananas,apples etc with the room cleaners for my daughters bedtime snacks.I think i was less relaxed at the start than my daughter but got more confident as the holiday went on.The two hour time difference didn't cause any problems as they were getting up early and going to bed later than in the UK.

Have a great time and enjoy your holiday.Let me know how you get on.

Regards,

Tom