AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi Folks ..
In an earlier post - Taking the Driving Seat - I outlined the concerns that I had begun to develop about what seemed to be the norm in terms of the NHS and HCPs responses to newly diagnosed T2 diabetics .. and the direct approach to managing my diabetes that I intended to take as a result. It was too early at the time for me to have had any personal experience of these "responses" but, in truth, I was half expecting them for myself when I (eventually) had my initial appointment(s) after diagnosis. Well, now I have ...

After a cancelled appointment with the DN on Mar 6th, I had more bloods taken ... and I was called in to see my Doc, today Mar 10th, about the results. Since my diagnosis on Feb 7th, my numbers today were ..

# HbA1c down from 98 to 68 mmol
# Fasting BG down from 12.5 to 6.1
# Weight down from 106.1 to 97.8kg
# BP down from 149/101 to 129/84
All of which, I believe, are attributable to committing to an LCHF lifestyle, increasing my daily exercise, monitoring my weight, testing my BG levels and eating to my meter. In other words, to taking the driving seat and being in control of my diabetes. As buoyed up as I was by these results, though, the wind was well and truly knocked from my sails when I started asking the Doc my pre-prepared questions. Here's a summary of just some of the answers ..

# No assistance with strips etc for BG testing (not necessary)
# Advice .. cut down on cakes and sugary fruit (never eat them)
# LCHF, lifestyle plus any other questions .. ask the dietician
# No eye test or foot exam until arranged by diabetes clinic
# All daily BG and BP readings that I had printed .. ignored
# After ten minutes .. "Sorry, I have other patients waiting"​

So no joy there then .. which, I feel, leaves me pretty much on my own. But I'm still in the driving seat and I'm still in control. And now that my initial concerns have been confirmed, all that's left for me to do in order to take the lead and stay ahead is to put my foot on the accelerator and hit full throttle ...

Anybody want to come along for the ride ..?

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Ya, if you think you're going to impress any doctors, think again. Most don't particularly care, at least in my experience. However, the diabetes nurses I've seen are a little more interested when they see my success at tackling type 2. Still, they inevitably tell me to eat less fat and more whole grains and go on statins. Now I just use them to get the blood tests and ignore the advice they give me.

Reactions: Snapsy and AM1874

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Reactions: Salvia and Prem51

SueNSW

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the links @AM1874 - from just a quick wizz through the very impressive looking sites, what an incredible life he led - they were an amazing generation. Will read again in more detail later - also look to be some fascinating links. Thanks again

Reactions: Prem51 and AM1874

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
# No assistance with strips etc for BG testing (not necessary)
# Advice .. cut down on cakes and sugary fruit (never eat them)
# LCHF, lifestyle plus any other questions .. ask the dietician
# No eye test or foot exam until arranged by diabetes clinic
# All daily BG and BP readings that I had printed .. ignored
# After ten minutes .. "Sorry, I have other patients waiting"

It's sad, but that's the way it is, round here (Bucks) even things like a hernia op are so difficult to get unless you scream blue murder. Post budget people have show that they don't want to pay more money in N.I. Despite the fact that an employee pays N.I. and his/her employer also pays N.I. (12% basic). Self employed people just pay N.I.

Cut down on cakes and sugary fruit, oh bless, I wonder where he got his degree in the b....ing obvious. Never mind, it wasn't bad advice.

I suppose at least you know where you stand, your GP knows nothing apart from what NICE guidelines tell him/her.

Eye test essential, definitely chase them on that, it might be in the system somewhere, just need to make sure. Foot exam, I have to pay for mine.

I find that my GP's eyes tend to glaze over a bit, unless I'm showing that a particular treatment prescribed by her coincides with some change in BP or BG. She's very interested in the data coming out of my FreeStyle Libre although unable to suggest anything to prevent what I believe is liver dumping.

We're all aware that our GPs have 10 minutes per patient, my practice nurse only has 5 minutes to take blood (scary if you hate needles). We don't want to be there for too long but GPs should have better ways of saying so.

I am of a generation that would never disagree with policemen, teachers or doctors. As far as doctors go I'm no longer worried about what they say and I believe in myself. Because of this and other forums, the wealth of knowledge in it's members is considerably greater than the knowledge of my GP. I'm lucky though, she'd agree with me, she's listens to what I have to say, she might show concern and give warnings, but she supports me.

I know we can't give you the advice that a GP might, but you've obviously already discovered that forum members have some very good experiences to relate (mustn't call it advise). You are in charge, in the driving seat as it were.

Safe Journey! Bon Voyage!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on those fab results!

They are a wonderful testament to your determination to grab this thing by the throat. Brilliant attitude. :D

It is rather deflating to have a medical professional not 'get it', especially when things are so d#mn obvious to the rest of us. But that kind of thing always makes me feel more determined too. :)

Reactions: ziggy_w

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I believe in myself. Because of this and other forums, the wealth of knowledge in it's members is considerably greater than the knowledge of my GP.
What a fantastic thread, and I particularly like these words above.

This forum is terrific. I have learned more practical stuff about diabetes here in a year than I had in my preceding 29 years with it.

Love Snapsy

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's sad, but that's the way it is, round here (Bucks) even things like a hernia op are so difficult to get unless you scream blue murder.

Sadly, things have deteriorated then.Ten to fifteen years ago, a few years apart, I had two separate hernia ops at Wycombe General. First non-mesh, overnight stay, second mesh, day-release.
Of course we all know the NHS is facing huge strains. Did people catch BBC's recent Hospital series. Episodes 5 & 6 will be disappearing fast from iPlayer. YouTube comes to the rescue
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bbc+hospital+episode+1

It's sad viewing
Geoff

Reactions: Prem51

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Great news @AM1874 - you are doing incredibly well, you have found what works for you and that's brilliant :)

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Got my doctor's appt on Monday - we seem to have started this new way of eating at a very similar time. Wonder what mine will say? :p

Reactions: Prem51

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Got my doctor's appt on Monday - we seem to have started this new way of eating at a very similar time. Wonder what mine will say? :p
Hi @Ultramum ..
Yeh .. our timings seem spookily similar :)
I hope your Doc can rustle up some better answers than mine did for me ... ;);)

Reactions: Ultramum and Prem51

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I had two separate hernia ops at Wycombe General.

I'm local to Wycombe General, as is my old chum with the hernia, I just keep hoping that he won't turn up for our Saturday morning golf and put the world right session, because he's had surgery. He almost went private until they said it would be an epidural which he's already been told he can't have, it has to be a general, seems he may lose one of his testicles, so a general anesthetic is required, in case. My eyes are watering now.

Having said that, I had a laparotomy for the removal of my appendix and a huge cyst attached to the appendix and the care was second to none. You just have to get in to the hospital for treatment.