Talking about ... c-peptide - (T1, LADA, T3c)

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
So, I know cpeptide is used as a useful marker in detecting insulin production.

So those of us who don't produce insulin don't produce c-peptide.

Dr google/ aka wikipedia says that c-peptide also performs a function in avoiding neuropathy, kidney disease and other diabetic complications. Apparently animal studies suggested that it could assist in treating neuropathy and kidney disease, but the only human clinical trial was abandoned (and the company producing the drug went out of business) after it showed no improvement over a placebo....

So, should us c-peptide deficient folk be attempting to enroll in c-peptide trials to preserve our kidneys and nerves? Are there any trials out there? Anyone know anything about c-peptide other than as a diagnostic tool for insulin production?????

Reactions: lucasmagia

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So, I know cpeptide is used as a useful marker in detecting insulin production.

So those of us who don't produce insulin don't produce c-peptide.

Dr google/ aka wikipedia says that c-peptide also performs a function in avoiding neuropathy, kidney disease and other diabetic complications. Apparently animal studies suggested that it could assist in treating neuropathy and kidney disease, but the only human clinical trial was abandoned (and the company producing the drug went out of business) after it showed no improvement over a placebo....

So, should us c-peptide deficient folk be attempting to enroll in c-peptide trials to preserve our kidneys and nerves? Are there any trials out there? Anyone know anything about c-peptide other than as a diagnostic tool for insulin production?????

EllieM - I won't comment on your post except to say that in UK there are various research databases out there, including this one, which is extremely comprehansive:

https://bepartofresearch.nihr.ac.uk/trials?query=%7B"query"%3A"*"%7D&location=&search=%257B%2522q

From memory you're not in UK, but it could be helpful to others reading your thread, if not yourself.

There may be something similar in your location?

Reactions: lucasmagia

lucasmagia

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, I was about to create a thread about it!

It has been a year since I've been diagnosed with T1D, during the course of which I've been encountering plenty of new information and research about the condition, mostly driven by my curiosity and the fact that I'm interested in pursuing molecular biology in my undergraduate studies. The last few days I got curious about c-peptide after a blood test, and found a bunch of papers indicating that it probably has a important role in preventing many diabetes complications. Funny thing is, I would have those aspects unnoticed hadn't I switched to the English version of the Wikipedia page, as in Portuguese (my language) it simply states that "it doesn't have any known physiological functions"...

So, it seems very logical to me that, given a healthy pancreas produces both substances in equimolar quantities, the most natural and safe choice would be to inject both? Probably due to historical reasons, insulin therapy was first discovered to improve health of diabetic people and was then used as the main substance for that. But I can't understand why we don't do the former given we now know about those facts.

Reactions: JohnEGreen