Taming the beast

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Trucking the progress over the last ten days or so of trying to bring my glucose levels should I suppose give me a positive feeling. After all I did manage to bring my glucose down to more acceptable/normal levels and this was through a lot of hard effort, going on daily walks, restricting carb intake greatly and measuring sugar levels again and again.

At best though all I can say is that I feel relieved.

Deep down I know that I should never have allowed myself to run so high in the first place. I have been a t2 diabetic for almost 10 years so I know very well both what is at stake and what I need to do to manage my condition.

So why did I not do it? Why did I stick my head in the sand and blissfully ignore it?

I can not give a satisfactory reply.

Not even to myself.

Especially not to myself.

We can lie to everyone else but we can not really fool ourselves.

It would be nice to pretend that the beast in the title I have to tame is my diabetes. In a way it is, a beast that never sleeps never let's off but just lies in wait.

But no, the real beast I need to conquer is not a disease or a condition.

I am the beast.
Screenshot_20190525-151107_DiabetesM.jpg

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Welcome back to you and may I say WOO! GO YOU!

Reactions: pavlosn and 1spuds

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome back Pavlos! It's strange, I was only thinking about you this morning and wondering if you were OK - then I logon and here you are! :D

Reactions: pavlosn

enb54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree and have the same tale to tell, why was I so dumb? I guess some get complacent and sadly slip into our old ways until we get a kick in the backside...

Reactions: Pipp

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree and have the same tale to tell, why was I so dumb? I guess some get complacent and sadly slip into our old ways until we get a kick in the backside...
With me it's not complacency. I just get so tired of fighting it that I just need a rest...and often i rest for too long. It's hard staying focussed for life so don't beat yourself up.

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Same story.I thought I was 'cured'.Oops,guess not.Was in remission,backslided,and now Im back,better informed this time.And back in remission,yay!

Reactions: Prem51

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you all for making me feel so welcomed. It is really great to see so many familiar names.

I hesitated for a while before deciding to write in the forum again. Too embarassed I guess. Now I am really pleased I overcame my doubts.

Slightly up this morning but not disastrously so at 148 mg/dl (8,2 mmol). The early morning counts have been the one giving me the most trouble to control and last night was a a difficult night to be good as we went out celebrating a friends birthday so there was far too much temptation. To be fair I did resist remarkably well my only sin being probably a few too many cherries. All things considered I am happy with that although the whole experience was a bit of a torture.

Very warm day today and we would normally head for the beach but son has his end of year/GCSE exams to give starting tomorrow so we will probably be stuck in Nicosia.

Once again great to hear from you.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome back Pavlos! It's strange, I was only thinking about you this morning and wondering if you were OK - then I logon and here you are! :D
Great to find that you are back as well!

Reactions: zand

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
117mg/dl (6,5 mmol) this morning.

Next couple of days will be a struggle as I have to prepare for some medical tests on Wednesday and that involves s specific diet which is hardly diabetic friendly: vegetables and pulses are out while I should have meat dairy pasta rice and white bread today and just noodle soup tomorrow!

Still it is only for two days!

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
117mg/dl (6,5 mmol) this morning.

Next couple of days will be a struggle as I have to prepare for some medical tests on Wednesday and that involves s specific diet which is hardly diabetic friendly: vegetables and pulses are out while I should have meat dairy pasta rice and white bread today and just noodle soup tomorrow!

Still it is only for two days!

That sounds rather like the diet I have to go on before each Colonoscopy (down to only every 2 yrs now, and I still have my whole colon).

I would suggest you eat the meat and dairy, and swerve the white bread, rice and pasta. It is only for a few days - so it isn't hard to do (at least not for me)!

Reactions: 1spuds

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That sounds rather like the diet I have to go on before each Colonoscopy (down to only every 2 yrs now, and I still have my whole colon).

I would suggest you eat the meat and dairy, and swerve the white bread, rice and pasta. It is only for a few days - so it isn't hard to do (at least not for me)!
Yes I need to have gastroscopy and colonoscopy on Wed morning as my bloods show low iron and heamoglobin levels and my doctor suspects that I am losing blood from somewhere. Actually I had a similar test in Sep 2017 and then I was given the all clear and told I should only repeat after 5 years. The issue then turned out to be gastritis from Helicobacter pilory infection. I suspect/hope it will probably the same again.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
126mg/dl (7 mmol) this morning. Happy with that considering.

Now a day of having just noodle soup and going to the loo to look forward to!

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
101mg/dl (5,6 mmol) this morning.
Killing time while waiting to have my tests at 11:00 am. Trying to keep a positive frame of mind

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And a warm welcome back from me too, @pavlosn, I'd wondered where you'd got to -and I missed seeing your lovely photos!

Robbity

Reactions: pavlosn

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I need to have gastroscopy and colonoscopy on Wed morning as my bloods show low iron and heamoglobin levels and my doctor suspects that I am losing blood from somewhere. Actually I had a similar test in Sep 2017 and then I was given the all clear and told I should only repeat after 5 years. The issue then turned out to be gastritis from Helicobacter pilory infection. I suspect/hope it will probably the same again.
All clear on the colonoscopy - I should repeat in five years.
Gastroscopy revealed gastritis. Biopsies taken for testing for Helicobacter Pylori and celiac disease. Results due on Monday.
No sign of Cancer.
Pleased so far.
20190526_073822.jpg

Reactions: zand