Metal_Mark

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Manand, City, NSW(Blues), Justin Bieber, Take **** and Liverpool FC
Hello,
Is anyone on the forum using this pump tandem and dexcom CGM. My pump & CGM is to be updated this year and am interested in finding more out about this system and positives and possible negatives?
I am currently using Medtronic & CGM which is very unreliable - CGM approximately correct 30%. I think it's terrible and am looking to update to either tandem or other.
Thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Juicyj

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Metal_Mark

Yes I use the Tandem Slim with Control IQ which is linked the Dexcom, it's a very reliable system for me, been using it just over 2 years now, the G6 is changed every 10 days, the Tandem Slim can be recharged but I also use a portable power bank to do this if on the go, I am chuffed to bits with the system, it's giving me the best sleep i've ever had since being diagnosed t1, only downside for me personally is exercising over an hour, even in exercise mode and with no bolus on board I am struggled to avoid lows in the evening, but think it's just a case of trying different things like turning CIQ off or having glucose before levels start to drop but that's work in progress for me.

Great to hear another person gaining access, join the Facebook group as lots of useful chat there too for Tandem users.

Reactions: Hopeful34

sninge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Mark
I started using the Tandem pump mid December and lucky enough to also get the dexcom 6 funded, so new to the system after 16 yrs on Roche pumps. I was on libre with my last pump. I have no regrets whatsoever moving onto this combination, I absolutely love it. Filling the cartridge is annoying but that's all and what I get out of the system by far outweighs this. If you choose to go for this combination my biggest advice would be to expect teething problems, you will get some! Thankfully I started with this attitude and it really helped, it takes a while to get used to it and whilst going through that the alarms drive you mad. It took some tweaking and I knew I would struggle as I was a control freak on my last pump so trusting the pump was always going to take some getting used too! The things I had to learn to cope with were...
It thinks insulin active time is 5hrs, for me its just 1hr, If I need a correction and it thinks I dont need more insulin then I lie and say im eating carbs and need a bolus.
It only gives 60% of calculated correction so Ive told it my correction ratio is lower than it is.
I have also set a basals for 50% my usual basal for exercise.
There are a few other tricks I've learnt but probably send you to sleep. In 5 weeks on this set hba1c went from 7.1 to 6.5. Time in range from around 70% to mid 80s.
Dexcom is far more accurate than libre for me, I have calibrated 3 times with 2 transmitters.
Like juicy said night-time is the best thing ever, I used to scan and correct 3-4 times a night now I sleep like a log and trust Tandem to keep my around 6 all night, it is 100% amazing!!
It isn't a ' magic pill' but finally a system for people who are prepared to put the work in to get results.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have to agree with other comments made before, I've been using Dexcom for maybe 12 yrs since it was first released in the UK, first self funded then when I got t:slim I managed to get G6 funded too. Its a very good pump for me but as already mentioned its not a free ride you do need to put some work in. The night time setting is amazing. I'm managing 92-100% in range and 6.2%. I would say the hardest part has been trying to avoid corrections and where absolutely needed then taking care to limit them to allow CIQ to do its work.