Tandem pump, Dexcom G6 and ?Xdrip

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm getting a Tandem pump and going to be using Control IQ with Dexcom G6. Is anybody using Xdrip instead of the Dexcom App? Is it possible to do this? It looks as though you can't add as much info on Dexcom App, but any info on this would be appreciated.

DocMarcus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Setting up the G6 sensor is super easy. Just get it running on xdrip then add the same info to the tandem pump. Sensor transmits to both devices without issue. The control iq is amazing. I don't use the dexcom app as my OnePlus mobile is not compatible with the app. Very odd they have restricted to phone types rater than platform. Anyway no issue for me as I have been using xdrip for years.

Reactions: Hopeful34

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome to the forum @DocMarcus

That's great to know, thank you. I've been using xdrip for a while too and like it, so didn't want to change. My phone isn't compatible with Dexcom app either, so that was another issue.

Were you using xdrip with Libre 2 before? Just wondering what settings I need to change to move to Dexcom (apart from the obvious DexcomG6 instead of Libre). I'm not on Facebook or twitter, so any help would be appreciated.

DocMarcus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes I was using xdrip with Libre 2 and it was temperamental to set up the Libre 2. It did always work in the end but seems to be a bit random.
As for the G6 sooooo much easier. Just enter the transmitter code in xdrip settings and then the sensor code. Takes a few hours to start up. Then bingo. Works every time.
Same set up on the pump. Also no calibration needed. You can override this and calibrate it if you want. I have never needed to.

Once you get your pump and sensor I'm happy to talk you through the set up. Can send some photos etc if needed. But it's all intuitive.

Last edited:

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you, that's great. I'm getting my pump and sensors at the end of this week.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @DocMarcus

I've got my pump and inserted Dexcom today.
Starter sensor with xdrip, and that's fine.
Put my transmitter number on pump.

What do I do now, please?
The only option seems to be start sensor??? Do I press that, or will that make my sensor fail?

DocMarcus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes start sensor. You have to go through the 2hr warm up on the pump as it thinks it's a fresh new sensor. You will still get reading in xdrip while it's warming up on the pump.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you.

Love the pump, but am struggling with inserting the auto soft 90 cannulas. First one at the hospital went in fine, but came to put a new one in yesterday and despite doing exactly the same, they kept not being fully released from the insertion device. Any tips, apart from trying the steel cannulas?

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you.

Love the pump, but am struggling with inserting the auto soft 90 cannulas. First one at the hospital went in fine, but came to put a new one in yesterday and despite doing exactly the same, they kept not being fully released from the insertion device. Any tips, apart from trying the steel cannulas?
They do take a little care to start with. When you pull back there are two sets of ridges on the case, put your fingers on these and make sure you feel a click and see the centre locked into place. Then with the tubing held to the side (assuming you have pealed the cover off the patch and removed the needle cover), press flat onto skin and with two finger press the two side indents (at 90 degrees to the ridges). It should then fire correctly.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Another T:Slim/xDrip user here. I've been using xDrip & Dexcom - originally the G4 - for 8 years. Also uploading to Nightscout.

Re the Autosofts - I agree with Chas C, but would add, be careful when unpeeling the white paper cover. It's too easy to pull the sticky pad up, then it wrinkles/ doesn't sit correctly.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks @Chas C and @DunePlodder

The frustrating thing is that I'm being ultra careful to do all of this, and not to pull the sticky pad up. I'm also twisting the blue cover off the needle very carefully ensuring I don't pull the needle up whilst doing so, but it still seems to insert slightly lopsidedly and not be fullly released from the insertion device.

Have even tried refiring them into the settee and they still wouldn't release from the insertion device. Maybe they were faulty ones, I don't know?

DocMarcus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Twisting the needle cover? I have never done this. This might be what's going wrong.

I've used this type of needle inserts for many years with the Vibe, Medtronic and now T-slim and not had many failures. I'm sure I had a few mess up when learning how to use them but generally they have been very reliable.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ok, thanks I won't do that next time. The only reason I did it was because in another thread, someone had recommended it, so that you don't pull the cannula over the top of the needle.

DocMarcus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Now I think about it, one thing I do always do is... Once the needle has fired I push down hard on the centre piece, the plastic bit that holds the needle. I find this helps ensure the cannula sticky pad has properly stuck before I pull it all away.

I now do it all so automatically I have not really thought about how I do it.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks, maybe I haven't been pushing down hard enough on it. Will also try that next time.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @DocMarcus

Dexcom's worked well on xdrip. Tomorrow I'll be putting a new Dexcom on, and just wanted to check if there was anything I needed to do apart from:

Apply new sensor
Stop old sensor on xdrip and remove
Start new sensor with xdrip, and put new sensor number in pump

Do I have to wait until the new sensor is working on xdrip to start it on the pump?

Read somewhere you have to leave a 15 minute gap after stopping a sensor on xdrip and starting a new one. Is that correct?