Darcy Collins

My current Accu Chek Spirit Combo is out of warranty and I’m looking to change.
Any useful advice or experience with the T:slim pumps? Especially without the use of a CGM.

I use a libre and am currently trying to get finding for a dexcom. But worse case I’d be using the T:slim solo. How is it as a stand alone pump? Any experience with getting funding for a CGM?

Many thanks!

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

I don’t have the tandem pump but I think without a CGM, it would be like any other pump. Unfortunately with CGM funding, there is a criteria and it also depends on your CCG if they are willing to fund it. I have the Medtronic 670G and my rep said there was only around 80 people since last year on this particular pump with a CGM. He said hospitals aren’t willing to fund the CGM side of it.

You can buy a third party attachment for it, called Miao Miao which clips to your libre and turns it into a CGM. But that doesn’t communicate with your pump.

Here is the criteria from JDRF:

More than 1 episode a year of severe hypoglycaemia with no obviously preventable precipitating cause
Complete loss of awareness of hypoglycaemia
Frequent (more than 2 episodes a week) asymptomatic hypoglycaemia that is causing problems with daily activities
Extreme fear of hypoglycaemia
Hyperglycaemia (HbA1c of 75mmol/mol [9%] or higher) that persists despite testing at least 10 times a day. Continue real-time CGM only if HbA1c can be sustained at or below 53 mmol/mol [7%] and/or there has been a fall in HbA1c of 27 mmol/mol [2.5%] or more).”

Best of luck to you

SarahGJ

I have the tslim pump and I self fund the dexcom at £159 a month. Previously I have been on Medtronic, omnipod and the accucheck combo and I much prefer the tslim. The main reason is the low suspend which has given me huge confidence especially overnight and my hba1c is improved a lot.
I did start with Libre and tslim for about 4 months and it is still a good pump without the cgm. It is very small and discrete which is another positive. You can fit it in your jeans pocket! Also updates to software are automatic so it won’t get out of date.
I would recommend the pump, but obviously just my personal opinion. If you can afford dexcom it’s a game changer. Good luck!

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I really like my tslim pump, though as it's my first I can't compare it to any other. It is small & light. The touch screen is good ,except in the brightest sunlight. I like the fact that it is rechargeable - some people don't.
My big problem was nasty overnight hypos which was why I self funded the Dexcom G4 a few years ago. The G6 is very reliable and needs no, or at least only occasional, calibrations.
When I first got the pump it didn't connect to the Dexcom, but having the CGM was extremely handy anyway, especially in getting basals set up. A Libre would be similarly useful.
The Dexcom is expensive, but the way I look at it, the fact that we now have Basal IQ on the pump ( & in a few months, Control IQ), means I am getting more value for my money from the Dexcom.