1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Tandem T-slim, Medtronic 670 and CGM's

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by asa35, Nov 13, 2020.

1. Chas C

Chas C Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'm using the t:slim and control IQ, would be happy to address any reservations you might have.

• Like Like x 1
  2. asa35

asa35 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thanks Chas C . One point I noticed a few people mention, was that there was a lot of button pressing to reach certain features / menus, and that on some of the screens, it 'timed out' quite quickly with no options to extend this. Have you noticed this? When I first started on the 640G, I noticed similar points although it hasn't really bothered me too much.

3. Chas C

It happens to me very occasionally, but unlike previous pumps I've had if the t:slim times out it keeps what you already entered and once you unlock it again (simple three key press) it goes back to where you last finished. You have to remember this pump has a lot of functionality so needs the menu system, I find it quite sensibly organised.

To be honest I've only found two things that for me could be improved, but they are minor things.

1. The number of time slots for daily basal - in past I've had 24 and this has 16 meaning you need some two hour slots, its not hard to resolve and you only need to do it on first set up.

2. It will not remember your last meal extended bolus settings, % of insulin and time. I generally use 75 mins and 30% (or adjusted for meal type) but pump always defaults to 120 mins and 50% then you go up down as needed.

I'm in the process of trying the Sleep mode 24/7 to see if this is better than normal mode for CIQ only on second day so need more time.

• Like Like x 1
  4. asa35

Great, thanks for the details. I'm thinking I may just take the plunge and go for it. I appreciate pumps are personal and everybody will have different thoughts on them, but maybe it's just a case of getting used to it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. searley

searley Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

This is where they are wrong.. the screen time out is adjustable from 15 to 120 seconds

I have mine on 30 which is more than enough.. the only time it times out on me is during a cartridge change but even that's no biggie just turn the screen on press 1 2 3 and continues where you left off

• Like Like x 2
  6. searley

Staff Member

Sleep mode works well for me as it more aggressively changes basal rate to adjust..

What you need to do is make sure you max basal per hour setting is high enough to make the changes you need

7. Chas C

Mine is set to 120 which is why I hardly ever see it. But as said before it does remember what you entered before.

8. Chas C

Thanks for the tip, I'm on second day trying out the 24/7 sleep mode and have now set mine on a much higher rate to see if it makes any difference, was 3.6 now set to 10.

9. searley

Staff Member

If the max was 3.6 and your basal 1.4 then the max correction would be 1.2u and for me that's not enough sometimes mine goes upto 5u/h for a while which never happened with a lower setting

10. Chas C

Have turned it up and its now working perfectly - thanks again @searley

11. Ermintrude75

Ermintrude75 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi

If you go to your phone App Store you will find a simulator for the TSlim. Ive used it and it does look good. I have had it confirmed that the Libre will work with AID (automatic insulin delivery) devices. There are no dates of when it will be released. But it has been hinted at its not far away (2021) as the Libre 2 has been available in Europe since 2018 just not in the UK

• Like Like x 1
  12. asa35

Thank you everyone for your helpful inputs on this subject. I've made my decision on the T-slim and ordered it today, training session is booked for middle of January. So I've no doubt, I'll be back on just after this, for more help. Hopefully I can also give some feedback for others.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Aimfor427

Aimfor427 · Newbie

Hi - currently in a similar position whereby my Accu-Chek Insight is out of warranty and being offered several choices such as Omnipod, T slim x2 or Medtronic 780G. None of the pumps are offered through the clinic with CGM but am using Libre freestyle and hoping that freestyle 2 will be able to combine with tandem or Omnipod to effect the semblance of a hybrid closed loop in future.

Does anyone - have any advice on this? - I am a first time poster and only joined today so probably not asking in the right way. I am a long time T1D with good control, but keen to keep healthy even longer....and future proof any immediate pump choices against improvements in technology that will come on stream via the NHS in the next 4 years

14. DunePlodder

DunePlodder Type 1 · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  15. Chas C

Just a heads up, I could not control post meal spikes when on sleep mode 24/7, so have reverted back to normal mode for day and sleep for night - operating more effectively for me now.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Aimfor427

Aimfor427 · Newbie

17. searley

Staff Member

You were still doing pre- bolus? Between that and extended bolus I manage on sleep 24/7 however on work days as a HGV driver I run normal mode as it allows me to run a little higher and sleep kicks in after work hours and on all weekend

18. Chas C

Yep, have been sugar surfing for years and pre-bolus plus extended bolus for meals etc. It was strange, it seemed to work well for the first day then when downhill for every meal over approx 30g. So gave up after 5 days or so. All back to normal now.

19. searley

Staff Member

Did you increase the max hourly basal rate?? By default is only a small number 3 I think if you don't increase this the corrections it can give in an hour are small

Say you basal rate is 1.5u per hour the max correction in an hour would be 1.5u

I increased mine to a max of 15 u an hour now get corrections that are much bigger and stay In range

• Like Like x 1
  20. Chas C

Yep did all that.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook