Tax Relief on the Dexcom

Luke91

Hi all

I’m just wondering if anyone knows about tax relief especially in relation to the Dexcom.

I have purchased the Dexcom on a 3 monthly basis for around 4 years and wonder if tax relief is available on past and future purchases?

Thanks in advance!

Luke

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you have diabetes, you do not need to pay VAT.
I believe this needs to be declared upon purchase.
Is that what you are referring to?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi all

I’m just wondering if anyone knows about tax relief especially in relation to the Dexcom.

I have purchased the Dexcom on a 3 monthly basis for around 4 years and wonder if tax relief is available on past and future purchases?

Thanks in advance!

Luke

I assume you are already not paying vat?

Otherwise there is an interesting article here

Taxation and Medical Expenses – Accounting Pro UK (accounting-pro.co.uk)

Says you can get tax relief to pay for a glucometer if prescribed by a doctor. Of course, if a doctor prescribed it you wouldn't be paying for it (sigh).

Unfortunately my google fu has failed to find any mention of this on the inland revenue website...

If you find out that this is a possibility I suspect a number of UK dexcom users would find it helpful. (Given the cost of a dexcom, I suspect not many will be self funding without earning enough to pay tax.)

jape

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
In Canada (province of Ontario), I get my libre essentially for free, because I am older than 65. I am prescribed a libre because I am insulin dependent. Also, if one has to pay for it, there are no sales taxes (provincially or federal) on it. One can also claim any payment as a medical credit on one's income tax return, which may reduce one's income tax a bit.