Tea and Milk

andrewa

I just tested my blood this morning having had a cup of tea with milk. My meter said 17.5 as I reeled back in shock I wondered what had caused this, my reading first thing in the morning is usually about 9 (before the cup of tea) . Does tea with milk have such an effect on levels, or should I be looking at some other cause?
I have been taking Glucosamine, but my pharmasist said that it was ok, but could it be this that has affected the level?
Andrew

C

catherinecherub

Hi andrewa,
Difficult to answer your question as whilst 9 may be your usual fasting level, you did not test before the tea so it may have been higher anyway. I have never had a sharp rise by drinking a cup of tea.
You need to discuss the Glucosamine with your G.P. as you may not be taking the right dose for you.
If you google Glucosamine there are several studies that suggest Glucosamine may spike your blood sugars. This will not show on an HBA1c but it is better to be aware of this.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya, i drink lots of tea daily and never get spikes, your blood was possibly higher to start with :?

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I have never tested after a cup of tea. And I certainly would never have thought it would have any effect at all. I would think its something else as I don't see how it could possibly have raised your levels that much.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Like the others I have never had a spike from tea and milk. Did you test when you got up for a proper fasting level ? If that was way high then you might need to look at the food you ate the night before. Did you eat late ? Was it slow acting carbs ? There is also the dawn phenomenon effect to consider as well. Many variables to consider but certainly not the tea and milk in my opinion.

raineuk

Hi Milk in my coffee will rocket my bloods. I have to have a morning coffee cant start the day without it.
I cant have milk and cereal as my bloods go into the 20's (brans and the like).

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
raineuk said:
Hi Milk in my coffee will rocket my bloods. I have to have a morning coffee cant start the day without it.

Really ? I'm a 'coffeeholic' first thing as well. Is that a coffee made with milk or just a splash. There's very few carbs in a small portion of milk as opposed to one made solely with milk. If Ï have a starbucks or costa coffee which is made with milk then that would push bg up but not a splash in the bottom of a mug or cup. Very odd. Still - I suppose we are all different but it does defy logic that a small amount of milk can rocket your bloods in that way. Have you tested before and maybe 1 and 2 hrs after the coffee ?

As for the cereals most people on here find it is that that has the greatest effect on bg levels. I had to reduce my portions of cereals by at least half to get acceptable Bg levels. Same quantity of milk though. Worth considering.

andrewa

Well, thanks for your replies, I've done a pre breakfast reading and a 2 hour afterwards one, plus for good measure a reading at 4pm in the afternoon (3hours after eating) Not good I'm afraid I'm around 15 with 2 and 10.5 with the post breakfast one. I'm on 2 Metformin at dinner time.
I'm thinking of seeing the GP as my normal readings ( I'm a bit hit and miss with doing them) are usually between 7 and 12. I admit I've been slipping into bad eating habits like biscuits and cake occasionally, but my overall diet is pretty good. I've been going to the gym twice a week and doing lots of physical activity. I'm now really going to try and lose a stone in weight.
Maybe the readings are a good wake up call for me!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Good idea to see your gp Andrew, I wouldn't think a splash of milk in tea or coffee would effect bg that much, unless you like it really milky.

Nigel.

andrewa

Saw the GP yesterday, now I'm on 3 Metformin for a period of 5 weeks, also on strict instructions not to keep snacking in the evening and to test twice a day before breakfast and in the evening just before bedtime.
Could I ask another question? Is powdered milk a good thing or not, I read the tin and it says "carbohydrates of which sugars 30.2g per serving". Thanks

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Check the TOTAL carbs - that includes sugars which are added to the product. Going by sugars alone is very misleading for a Diabetic.

jaykay

Sounds high to me. When I went to see the dietitian she told me that 2g per 100g = good, 20g per 100g = bad and I use that as a kind of sliding scale when deciding what to eat. Presumably 30g per serving is more than 20g per 100g and therefore....bad :)

jaykay

You are welcome. You could always try soya milk which is an acquired taste...some say. Personally I would rather go without..... bleargh! I now drink fruit tea when I need a hot drink and save my carbs for 1 milky coffee on a sunday. You have to do kind of trial and error stuff. I found it easier to not try substituting things for what I was eating and drinking but actually changing what I ate and drank but some people like to stick with what they know. Keep your chin up, it's a brave new world out there!!

andrewa

Yes I already like fruit teas and I also drink Redbush Tea sometimes, so I am cutting down my caffeine intake. In my bid to lower my levels I am making a real effort to lose a bit of weight, I'm not massively overweight just need to shed maybe a stone. I took a reading this morning and it was 15 so still high, but i'm hoping the extra Metformin (now on 3) will kick in. I go to the gym twice a week and do some gardening as part of my job, I also walk the dogs twice a day, so no one can say I'm not trying!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
I wouldn't rely too much on the Metformin. It will help but even on the maximum dose it will only lower your Bg levels on average by around 1 - 2 mmol/l. You usually find that it needs a help with dietary adjustments as well. That nearly always has the biggest effect on the levels. Add in your exercise regime etc and hopefully those levels will start to drop........

andrewa

I had a feeling Metformin was not all that effective, hopefully I can get myself into a better eating pattern ( no snacking) and coupled with the exercise I can get a positive effect on the levels.
Thanks for the help and advice