Tesco staff advice on biscuits?!?

Helenababe

Yep, just like the diabetic chocolates! I got caught out with them shortly after I was diagnosed. Christmas came along, and my lovely kids bought me a few boxes of them. Had 2 and fell asleep! No sugar but full of carbs. I keep well away from diabetic foods now. I don't know where these manufacturers get their advice from but they obviously don't know what they're talking about.

If my sugar gets too low, 2 digestives or rich tea bump it up without any spikes. I always keep some in.

Helena

Diabetes Bear

Just been shopping at Aldi, yes I know they are a discounter but that shouldn't excuse them. They have some sugar free sweets and mints :) which I have been having occasionaly over the last year and a half and as far as I know and have seen, thats it :thumbdown:
So for a morning biscuit or two, to have with my morning coffee and Metphormin the best I could find is there Rich Tea which contain 1.6 grammes sugar each.
Why oh why? is it asking so much of food manufacturers and retailers too stock some sugar free biscuits, cakes and chocolate, so we don't have to feel as if we are from a different planet.
:crazy:
P.S. Not picking on Aldi, Lidl seem to have no sugar free sweets.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
It's not just the sugar, Diabetes Bear, it's the total carbohydrate content that counts. Read the labels, find the biscuits with the lowest total carb content. Eat a couple with your coffee and then test 2 hours later (if you have a meter) to see how they've affected your BG level.

You might be able to get away with 2 plain biscuits with your coffee, but probably not much else! Biscuits are now occasional treats, I'm afraid - no scoffing the whole packet any more! :lol: But I have bought a small packet of shortbread fingers for the Christmas period and shall have one every now and again. They don't seem to affect me too badly - possibly the fat content!

Of course you could bake your own low-carb biscuits, with alternative flours and sweetener instead of sugar - have a look at the low-carb recipe section.

Viv 8)

Diabetes Bear

viviennem said:
It's not just the sugar, Diabetes Bear, it's the total carbohydrate content that counts. Read the labels, find the biscuits with the lowest total carb content. Eat a couple with your coffee and then test 2 hours later (if you have a meter) to see how they've affected your BG level.

You might be able to get away with 2 plain biscuits with your coffee, but probably not much else! Biscuits are now occasional treats, I'm afraid - no scoffing the whole packet any more! :lol: But I have bought a small packet of shortbread fingers for the Christmas period and shall have one every now and again. They don't seem to affect me too badly - possibly the fat content!

Of course you could bake your own low-carb biscuits, with alternative flours and sweetener instead of sugar - have a look at the low-carb recipe section.

Viv 8)
Thanks for all of that Viv, I understand and agree with most of it, but my point is:
Food Manufacturers should be making healthier versions of products for the growing number of us that need them, and those that would just prefer them. This will not happen unless we the Diabetic Community do a bit of "Foot Stamping & Shouting" it is time to stand up (while some of us still have legs) and be counted. We have to DEMAND from all food shops and Manufacturers Healthy, Low Fat, Low Carb, Sugar Free food and Drink at a reasonable price. We are not a minority, Diabetes is growing everyday, affordable availability of suitable food and drink should be ours by right, and the manufacturers would gain market growth and profit, so whats not to like about this idea:?:
Bear :idea:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Diabetes Bear said:
This will not happen unless we the Diabetic Community do a bit of "Foot Stamping & Shouting" it is time to stand up (while some of us still have legs) and be counted. We have to DEMAND from all food shops and Manufacturers Healthy, Low Fat, Low Carb, Sugar Free food and Drink at a reasonable price. We are not a minority, Diabetes is growing everyday, affordable availability of suitable food and drink should be ours by right, and the manufacturers would gain market growth and profit, so whats not to like about this idea:?:
Bear :idea:

Improvements have been made in recent years in food manufacturing with regards to sugar, salt and fat levels in food......although we still have a very long-way to go! :)

Most products labeled 'suitable for diabetics' is anything but and most knowledgeable people wouldn't touch them with a barge pole, it's easier to look for products with the lowest quantities of the big 3 and eat in moderation or leave altogether.