Test results, wide variations

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did he say why the Abbot meter was the only one that was accurate, If he meant the Optiom Neo it seems to meet the same accuracy standard as all other modern meters.
In the past I have heard him name the Abbott Freestyle Lite and Freestyle Freedom. On his latest Teleseminar from a few days ago, he did not specify the brand (just saying there are currently only 2 meters that are at all adequate in accuracy) but I imagine it has not changed. He says people are welcome to ring his surgery for the latest advice, as meters wax and wane in accuracy. Do you mean that you have tried the Abbott Neo and found it no better than other meters, or do you just mean it is subject to the same accuracy rules? If the latter, who do you thing is testing all those meters, and how do you imagine those rules are being enforced? With cutbacks in the UK we can no longer even enforce food hygeine in restaurants. I can't think many resources are being lavished on regular checks for bg monitors.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In the past I have heard him name the Abbott Freestyle Lite and Freestyle Freedom. On his latest Teleseminar from a few days ago, he did not specify the brand (just saying there are currently only 2 meters that are at all adequate in accuracy) but I imagine it has not changed. He says people are welcome to ring his surgery for the latest advice, as meters wax and wane in accuracy. Do you mean that you have tried the Abbott Neo and found it no better than other meters, or do you just mean it is subject to the same accuracy rules? If the latter, who do you thing is testing all those meters, and how do you imagine those rules are being enforced? With cutbacks in the UK we can no longer even enforce food hygeine in restaurants. I can't think many resources are being lavished on regular checks for bg monitors.
Good point but how is Dr Bernstein testing all the meters then?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
If by "back to back" you mean that all 4 test was taken in a time frame of 1-2 minutes than by no means you should have got those results unless something is wrong with your meter or strips. I use the Contour Plus meter and back to back measurements always give me the same results in less than 5% range. If I understand correctly, the 15% accuracy of the meters refers to a possible calibration bias of up to this deviation but not that this is the "test to test statistical variance".
Anyway - this is my own experience.
Best,
J.
Yes one after the other within a minute or two

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good point but how is Dr Bernstein testing all the meters then?
He is still seeing patients whom he teaches to test, also as a T1 tests himself as well as using a CGM. Btw he has said he doesn't get any freebies from Abbott.

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Freestyle Optium, Accu-Check Performa Nano, CareSens Dual, Cofoe Medical (a budget Chinese brand I got on eBay) give me exactly the same reading on the same blood drop
However
The Glucomen Lx2meter gives me between 1 and 1.2 points higher on the exact same blood drop.
It does my head in. Especially for the likes of moi that want tight control.
When I get a 3.9 on others and a GlucomenLx2 is saying 5.1.
I have no idea what to make of the food/ meal in question. Especially since I am always deep in ketosis and therefore unlikely to get any low blood sugar sensation.
My penchant for self flagellation has me, enamoured with the glucomenLx2.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Freestyle Optium, Accu-Check Performa Nano, CareSens Dual, Cofoe Medical (a budget Chinese brand I got on eBay) give me exactly the same reading on the same blood drop
However
The Glucomen Lx2meter gives me between 1 and 1.2 points higher on the exact same blood drop.
It does my head in. Especially for the likes of moi that want tight control.
When I get a 3.9 on others and a GlucomenLx2 is saying 5.1.
I have no idea what to make of the food/ meal in question. Especially since I am always deep in ketosis and therefore unlikely to get any low blood sugar sensation.
My penchant for self flagellation has me, enamoured with the glucomenLx2.
Hello @brassyblonde900 I meant to answer this before. If I see the same reading on different meters from the same blood drop, or even from 2 different drops at more or less the same time, I assume they must be right. Kill your darling! Ditch the poisonous GlucomenLx2. Your remaining 4 meters are quite enough for anyone. Sadly, like most women in abusive relationships, you will probably ditch the kind, reliable ones and cleave to the bad boy. On your own head!

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I retested because I didn’t expect it and then again when it was so different. I did already explain. The difference between 9 and 7.2 is more than 15%. (Yes I realised with the benefit of the last two that it was probably in truth somewhere in between the two). I realise tests have tolerances I just was shocked it was that high on the same monitor at the same time on the same blood with no variables applicable eg temp, blood site etc.

Once it was already higher than acceptable to me theres little point keep testing as I’d already ruled it out. I do miss bread hence trying a few different brands to see if there was one I found acceptable. Some people do seem to find some options for an odd potato, slice of bread etc. Just need to find out for myself I feel I’m one of them.
Bread for me, whether is a supposedly low carb one, send my BG into glucose hell. So I don't eat it except as a really, really special treat, ie once in a blue moon. My meter is my friend even though I know it can play up because I 't bother to wash my hand because I believed it was clean. Duh!!