Test strips off Amazon

kemilly3

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone got experience of buying test strips off Amazon? I've gone for the accu-chek bgm and 50 strips are £20 in the pharmacy! There are sellers on Amazon selling for £13 - £16 but I am a bit nervous. Assuming they have to be genuine products or Roche would have made sure the sellers were taken down? Does anyone else buy this way?

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I use the codefree meter and often buy my test strips from amazon and have never had any problems

Reactions: kemilly3

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use the SD Codefree meter and buy my strips from home-health.co.uk and pay significantly less than that for my strips.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Has anyone got experience of buying test strips off Amazon? I've gone for the accu-chek bgm and 50 strips are £20 in the pharmacy! There are sellers on Amazon selling for £13 - £16 but I am a bit nervous. Assuming they have to be genuine products or Roche would have made sure the sellers were taken down? Does anyone else buy this way?

Check where they are coming from but some peeps are clearly 'selling' strips they've obtained on a scrip. Have bought Glucomen strips from both Amazon and E-bay in the past, never had a problem.

kemilly3

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks both! Yes, I definitely should have gone for a meter that had cheaper test strips but this was the only option at the pharmacy and honestly, I had been stressing myself out so much I just wanted to get one quickly! My readings are pretty much consistently between 6.3 and 6.9 in the morning but vary after I have eaten, often within normal range. I have an appointment in a few weeks with my GP though and reckon it wouldn't hurt to start trying to figure out which foods are causing spikes (although giving up my beloved pasta is going to be pretty hard going :'((

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks both! Yes, I definitely should have gone for a meter that had cheaper test strips but this was the only option at the pharmacy and honestly, I had been stressing myself out so much I just wanted to get one quickly!((

Depending how often you are testing you may find it cheaper to buy a new meter such as the Codefree with significantly cheaper strips - you’d recover the meter cost pretty quickly, especially if you buy the strips using the discount codes.

Reactions: urbanracer

kemilly3

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Depending how often you are testing you may find it cheaper to buy a new meter such as the Codefree with significantly cheaper strips - you’d recover the meter cost pretty quickly, especially if you buy the strips using the discount codes.
Thanks, I think I will do just that!

D

Deleted member 308541

Check where they are coming from but some peeps are clearly 'selling' strips they've obtained on a scrip
This is easy to do, and could be very profitable to me if I was to engage in the black marketing.

As a member of NDSS I get subsidised test strips, I pay $1.30 for a 100 strip package that contains two pots of 50 strips. The over the counter price of these Abbot strips are $60.00 approx for 100, so there is good money in selling them on ebay etc.

The NDSS have cracked down, and now limit the amount you can buy at any one time to 200 strips at a NDSS pharmacy.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks, I think I will do just that!
Here are the codes for bulk purchases of Code Free strips from Home Health:

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @kemilly3 ..
Probably worth steering clear of Amazon and going for a new meter .. this will be considerably cheaper in the long run. The following websites might help:
https://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/
for the SD Codefree meter, which costs £12.98 or:
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/
who distribute the TEE 2 meter, which is free.

Make sure that you tick the appropriate box on the on-line order form and you won't pay VAT on your meter or strips. The ongoing charges for test strips are ..
For the SD Codefree, the strips are £7.69 for a pack of 50 and there are discount codes available for bulk purchases:
5 packs x 50 use code: 264086 .. cost is £29.49
10 packs x 50 use code: 975833 .. cost is £58.98
For the TEE 2, the strips are £7.75 for a pack of 50 .. but there are no discount codes currently available

Hope this helps

Simbas122

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes