Tested positive for CV-19

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I also had confirmed Covid start of Oct no cough but high temp for a few days crushing tiredness loss of taste and smell. Got better then last week symptoms returned for 3 days slept around the clock. My BG is not yet back where it should be despite being careful. Its just so random isnt it! Take care stay well everyone.

Reactions: Tugba

Tugba

Hi I also had confirmed Covid start of Oct no cough but high temp for a few days crushing tiredness loss of taste and smell. Got better then last week symptoms returned for 3 days slept around the clock. My BG is not yet back where it should be despite being careful. Its just so random isnt it! Take care stay well everyone.

I hope you feel much better! It is a very random disease i must say. I worked half a day today and my head is going crazy. Will probably have to nap it off. Take care xx

Reactions: Soplewis12

LozAm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello all!

Just got my test result back for covid and it is positive.. i have no symptoms really apart from a cough. Contact was probably around 8 days ago now. My sugars are fairly normal too, actually keep dropping weirdly...

Has anyone else had covid and what have their experience been?

Keep safe!
Hi there,
Yes I tested positive two weeks ago and have had a lot of problems with low blood sugars (weirdly as you say!) However I also had two days of ketones which was not good. Still having quite a few low blood sugars and the odd high one thrown in from time to time but things seem to be evening out now. I had terrible pains - strangely around my injection sites, with the Covid virus. Hoep this helps!

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
Hello all!

Just got my test result back for covid and it is positive.. i have no symptoms really apart from a cough. Contact was probably around 8 days ago now. My sugars are fairly normal too, actually keep dropping weirdly...

Has anyone else had covid and what have their experience been?

Keep safe!

Hi Tugba
I got a positive result on Wednesday October 15th. Had been feeling unwell, headaches and sinusitis and then sense of smell and taste suddenly disappeared. Going by my BG records I think I contracted it on the previous Saturday from my hubby. The BG levels went up to readings of 15-20 on the Saturday evening Sunday morning but returned to normal. I am still tired today but otherwise on the mend, no lasting affects. Strangely though I was relieved to see that you mentioned the low BG's I am still suffering terribly from night time, early morning and mid morning hypos since COVID, thought I was going mad! I hae had 4 since 12.30am last night. I have been trying to play about with my insulin by reducing basal and bolus but to no avail. I have a video consultation with my Consultant on Monday so will mention to him. If he sheds any light on it will post to share with others.
Thanks.

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
I hope you feel much better! It is a very random disease i must say. I worked half a day today and my head is going crazy. Will probably have to nap it off. Take care xx

I am calling it brain fog! 4 weeks past and still struggling to maintain concentration or focus. Its a nasty wee virus!

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Its really odd and interesting that some T1s have had low readings with Covid as mine shot up. Today I have been off colour all day, felt very nauseous this morning thought when I was showering I was going to be sick. Afterwards made so e tea and had a forbidden biscuit to settle my tum. My temperature has been yo yoing all day. Weird.

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
Its really odd and interesting that some T1s have had low readings with Covid as mine shot up. Today I have been off colour all day, felt very nauseous this morning thought when I was showering I was going to be sick. Afterwards made so e tea and had a forbidden biscuit to settle my tum. My temperature has been yo yoing all day. Weird.

Need to take it easy and don't over do it, easier said than done I know! Take Care

Tugba

Hi there,
Yes I tested positive two weeks ago and have had a lot of problems with low blood sugars (weirdly as you say!) However I also had two days of ketones which was not good. Still having quite a few low blood sugars and the odd high one thrown in from time to time but things seem to be evening out now. I had terrible pains - strangely around my injection sites, with the Covid virus. Hoep this helps!

Awww I hope you are better now! Definitely a weird on in terms of BG. I didn’t get a lot of pain apart from my upper back and chest due to the chest infection. Stay safe!

Tugba

Hi Tugba
I got a positive result on Wednesday October 15th. Had been feeling unwell, headaches and sinusitis and then sense of smell and taste suddenly disappeared. Going by my BG records I think I contracted it on the previous Saturday from my hubby. The BG levels went up to readings of 15-20 on the Saturday evening Sunday morning but returned to normal. I am still tired today but otherwise on the mend, no lasting affects. Strangely though I was relieved to see that you mentioned the low BG's I am still suffering terribly from night time, early morning and mid morning hypos since COVID, thought I was going mad! I hae had 4 since 12.30am last night. I have been trying to play about with my insulin by reducing basal and bolus but to no avail. I have a video consultation with my Consultant on Monday so will mention to him. If he sheds any light on it will post to share with others.
Thanks.

I think my sinuses were blocked too but I did have a cold right beforehand so I think it may not be covid related! I had the hypos for around 2 weeks then my BG started shooting up and still is. Have increased basal and bolus. Like a balancing act isn’t it.. Take care and I hope we don’t see any lasting effects of this xx

Tugba

I am calling it brain fog! 4 weeks past and still struggling to maintain concentration or focus. Its a nasty wee virus!

Honestly, couldn’t agree more! I am also in the process of being diagnosed for an autoimmune thyroid disease (graves or hashimotos, i have the antibodies) so double tired!

Tugba

You know I found that very weird also because illness typically means high BG and it didn’t happen for me. At least not in the first 2 weeks. If you have som anti sickness tablets, that might be something you can take?

RhonaF

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey Tugba, I tested positive in April and within 4 days could not breath so called for an ambulance. I was taken to QA hospital and diagnosed additionally with DKA. Was put in a coma the next day and stayed that way for 3 weeks, spent another 3 weeks rehap, learning to move, get up and walk aided with a walker to the loo. I'm now 5 months at home, signed off long term and extremely lucky to be alive. Long term conditions include AF, kidney and liver damage, short of breath, sleep apnoea, brain fog and lethargy. Please keep your gut health well, probiotics etc, 70% of immune system in gut!! Wish I'd known more to keep myself well, I have literally been to hell and back. Feel free to ask any questions. STAY WELL AND SAFE xx

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
I think my sinuses were blocked too but I did have a cold right beforehand so I think it may not be covid related! I had the hypos for around 2 weeks then my BG started shooting up and still is. Have increased basal and bolus. Like a balancing act isn’t it.. Take care and I hope we don’t see any lasting effects of this xx

I think mine are now on the way up, totally unexplained 17.5 reading at bed-time last night. I weigh all my carbs and always read the nutritional content of packages or use my carb and cal book. 17.5 with a 300g baked potato with tuna mayo and a bit of salad and then a kit kat for tea. Its nuts!!! Still relatively high took correction dosage before bed but still 12.7 this morning, another 2 corrections but still 8.8 at lunch time. I'll never give in to Diabetes but it is so frustrating at times. 30 years type 1 this December.....Going to go back to my pre Covid basal and bolus tomorrow and hopefully it will help. Let me know how you get on with your dosages

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
Honestly, couldn’t agree more! I am also in the process of being diagnosed for an autoimmune thyroid disease (graves or hashimotos, i have the antibodies) so double tired!

Yep, I had an overactive thyroid which they monitored but then underactive, now been on levothyroxine for two years. Its not funny!

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
Hey Tugba, I tested positive in April and within 4 days could not breath so called for an ambulance. I was taken to QA hospital and diagnosed additionally with DKA. Was put in a coma the next day and stayed that way for 3 weeks, spent another 3 weeks rehap, learning to move, get up and walk aided with a walker to the loo. I'm now 5 months at home, signed off long term and extremely lucky to be alive. Long term conditions include AF, kidney and liver damage, short of breath, sleep apnoea, brain fog and lethargy. Please keep your gut health well, probiotics etc, 70% of immune system in gut!! Wish I'd known more to keep myself well, I have literally been to hell and back. Feel free to ask any questions. STAY WELL AND SAFE xx

Jeeze Rhona, you poor soul. Take care of yourself and wish you all the best for the future. X

Tugba

Bless you!! I’m so sorry to hear what you have had to endure.. it will only go upwards from here. Thank you for sharing and take care of yourself xx

Tugba

Yep, I had an overactive thyroid which they monitored but then underactive, now been on levothyroxine for two years. Its not funny!

I have the same problem!! One month under and the next over? Really annoying.. something else to add to the plate.

Tugba

I think mine are now on the way up, totally unexplained 17.5 reading at bed-time last night. I weigh all my carbs and always read the nutritional content of packages or use my carb and cal book. 17.5 with a 300g baked potato with tuna mayo and a bit of salad and then a kit kat for tea. Its nuts!!! Still relatively high took correction dosage before bed but still 12.7 this morning, another 2 corrections but still 8.8 at lunch time. I'll never give in to Diabetes but it is so frustrating at times. 30 years type 1 this December.....Going to go back to my pre Covid basal and bolus tomorrow and hopefully it will help. Let me know how you get on with your dosages

A long time for sure - keep strong! My levels are on the up as soon as I wake up even though I haven’t even had breakfast. I have increased my basal and feel like it is helping a bit. Also feel tired every now and then if I study/work for more than 3/4 hours.

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
A long time for sure - keep strong! My levels are on the up as soon as I wake up even though I haven’t even had breakfast. I have increased my basal and feel like it is helping a bit. Also feel tired every now and then if I study/work for more than 3/4 hours.

Morning Tugba
Just to let you know there is light at the end of the tunnel. I returned to my pre covid dosages and am now getting good readings again. Hopefully your levels will settle down soon. When I speak to my Consultant on Monday will let you know what he says about the BG fluctuations. Take Care.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@RhonaF you really have been through the wringer. I am so sorry to read what you went through but so glad you came through. Take great care and be very kind to yourself.
Bearing in mind I am T2 I always try to be sub 30g total carbs per day. Since Covid my FBG has remained in the - often high - 6s and despite careful eating I am staying higher than I should be. Eg. Yesterday I had one slice HiLo toast thick with thick butter for brekkie (5g.) 2 mugs tea so maybe 2g s/s milk. Lunch I had a Lizza toastie (1.7g) plus chicken liver pate (3g) tea (1g). Supper was half fried red bell pepper (2g), chorizo cubes (1.1g) and cauli rice (4g). No snacks so total carbs About 20g carbs there. There is nothing more I can do other than exercise but its raining cats and dogs and tbh I have done many hours in the garden in between the showers. Longwinded but it has to be down to effects of Covid which is out of my control so no point stressing.
I am having an Indian t/a of Chicken Tikka and Cauli Bhajee this evening may even a popadom.

Reactions: Tugba and Speedbird