Testing and weight lifting

lilxamz

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Just had my HBA1C today so still waiting the results but my average blood sugars have been 14.5 for the last week so I'm expecting a type 2 diagnosis shortly. I really hoping to go back to the gym tomorrow but am unsure when I should test, before and after or do I wait until an hour after?
I have been going to the gym for a while and tend to a lot of free weights, a Pull day, push day, leg day and cardio but I am not sure if this is safe or if I need to do anything different?
Any advice would be appreciated, thank you

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
In fact strength exercises which build muscle are quite good for T2 diabetics, since the more muscle you have, the more storage for shifting glucose out of your bloodstream without it going into your fat cells.
However a minimum of 30 min brisk walking at least 5 days per week is also advised.

The effect of exercise itself on the blood glucose of a T2 diabetic (assuming that you are T2) varies both on the type, length and intensity of exercise (may go up or may go down), as well as the individual themselves. - Just as the way in which the same carbs can convert into a different BG rise varies between individuals to a large extent.

Reactions: lilxamz

lilxamz

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
In fact strength exercises which build muscle are quite good for T2 diabetics, since the more muscle you have, the more storage for shifting glucose out of your bloodstream without it going into your fat cells.

This has made me so flipping happy! I've had enough medical hurdles since my csection it's just so nice to hear that this one may actually help keep me on track with my exercise rather than hinder it
Thank you for your response.

Reactions: Lainie71

SimonP78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Doing high intensity anaerobic exercise you may well find you get a blood glucose spike immediately after exercise (because your liver has been supplying extra glucose while you exercise), so you may want to test before you go to the gym or some time afterwards - hopefully any post exercise spike will go away pretty quickly (your muscles will absorb glucose from the blood stream to replenish their internal glycogen stores, even without much/any insulin being available)

lilxamz

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Doing high intensity anaerobic exercise you may well find you get a blood glucose spike immediately after exercise (because your liver has been supplying extra glucose while you exercise), so you may want to test before you go to the gym or some time afterwards - hopefully any post exercise spike will go away pretty quickly (your muscles will absorb glucose from the blood stream to replenish their internal glycogen stores, even without much/any insulin being available)
That's really useful to know thank you! I thought the muscles would absorb the extra glucose but forgot there may still be an excess just after exercising. Will definitely keep that in mind when I test afterwards

Reactions: SimonP78

eveshamgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ah....this is the thread i have come here for!!! i do fairly heavy weight lifting 3 times a week and have been testing first thing in the morning then when i get home before i have breakfast and it has generally been 14!!! my fasting results are high at the moment as i get back on the right path (9/10 etc)

i was wondering if eating something before i go to the gym would help, rather than training fasted? i am guessing yes as the body will use those sugars first?

notafanofsugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
everything good for me! getting better though x
How do you find managing insulin and weightlifting?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Exercise can affect BG for 48 hours afterwards and overall results in a lowering of BG although you may see a rise during or immediately afterwards.
Generally, (although we are all different), cardio will see an immediate drop and resistance or HIIT will see a rise. I use this variance as a way to temper my BG during a gym session - if my levels are higher than I would like, I start with cardio and, if they are lower, I start with weights.

There are a couple of things that happen when we exercise, as mentioned above, our liver dumps glucose to give us energy. Our body becomes more efficient at using insulin (I think it is the muscles that use the insulin but I could be wrong with that). Due to the liver dump, if you do a longer activity, the liver will need a top up which is why BG can be lower for a couple of days after.

So, when to test your levels? Definitely before and when you finish but also a few hours later.

• Informative
Reactions: Lainie71