Testing Before Driving + 2 Hourly

Plockton

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi - with regard to the above - I am a Type II - on insulin - and have recently found out about the DVLA rules for testing before driving and then every 2hours during the journey. I have looked at the new Accu-Check Mobile meter as I thought this might be ideal to use in the car - to save all the paraphinalia(?) that one normally takes along when testing away from home - but I can't see that there are replacement items once that first 50 tests have been done Does anyone know if these can be obtained and - also whether this meter would be available from the gp/on prescription.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Yes, even though you are a T2, you will be given NHS scripts for test strips and lancets because you are on insulin.

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have one and get my stuff on prescription. You can also buy the test cassettes from Boots (other retailers are available) as they usually have stock. A while back I was running out as my surgery dispensary couldn't do my prescription until the beginning of the next month due to their suppliers having reached their allocated quantity so I asked at my local Boots if I could buy some and let they let me have them as dispensary price (about £26 for 2 cassettes instead of about £27 for 1 cassette).
I have had this problem a couple of times since with my surgery and now get a script to take away if they haven't stock so I can go to Boots to get some as they usually have them.

They are very practical from the driving point of view for testing on the road. I was offered an alternative the other day after my carb counting follow-up course meeting that would work out my bolus figures for my meals etc but it had separate strips and lancet again so I refused it and stuck with the Accucheck Mobile.

Regards
Angie

Plockton

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
With regard to my earlier post on this - am I correct that - as an insulin user - if I test before I drive, say, just a mile or so to the local superstore - and spend, say, two hours shopping - must I then re-test before driving that mile or so back home?

I have now ordered - from Ebay - one of the accucheck mobile test kits - as we are planning a trip to Scotland next week - with lots of driving - so thought that would be easier. I already have an Accucheck Aviva machine - which my gp does give me strips and lancets for - but thought this mobile one might help if the 2-hourly rule is exactly to be followed. Perhaps next time I visit my gp he may change my my meter to the mobile one and then be prepared to give me cassettes, or whatever, for that

What do other insulin users/drivers do?

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Plockton said:
With regard to my earlier post on this - am I correct that - as an insulin user - if I test before I drive, say, just a mile or so to the local superstore - and spend, say, two hours shopping - must I then re-test before driving that mile or so back home?
Yes, it's amazing how it can drop
Plockton said:
I have now ordered - from Ebay - one of the accucheck mobile test kits - as we are planning a trip to Scotland next week - with lots of driving - so thought that would be easier. I already have an Accucheck Aviva machine - which my gp does give me strips and lancets for - but thought this mobile one might help if the 2-hourly rule is exactly to be followed. Perhaps next time I visit my gp he may change my my meter to the mobile one and then be prepared to give me cassettes, or whatever, for that
Accuchek would have sent you one for free to keep your business(as would the other suppliers) although I tried the mobile and found I lost too many strips to "bad" cassettes :thumbdown: