Testing meters with built in Ketone tester

rae_j

Having had lots of side effects from Metformin I have just been changed to Diamicron MR. I have a long history of ketonuria but this is possibly drug induced from other meds I take. Does anyone use a dual tester for both their BG and for ketones? If so, is there one that they recommend? Also what is a high level of Ketonuria? I should have mentioned that I have a history of this to my new GP but as he said the metformin worked on a different level I didn't think to mention it now I am a bit nervous about taking it especially if it is only elevated due to other meds. I am now really confused and wonder whether it is better just to go down the exercise and diet route especially since the GP says it goes with all my other meds and the blurb says it is contraindicated in three of the others I take.

A

Anonymous

rae_j said:
I am now really confused and wonder whether it is better just to go down the exercise and diet route especially since the GP says it goes with all my other meds and the blurb says it is contraindicated in three of the others I take.

If your medication is contra-indicated why are you taking it or even considering taking it. Why don't you speak to your Doc about this ?

rae_j

The side effects and contra-indications list the other meds I take (from info taken of the internet) but the GP said it is well tolerated and there isn't a problem. Asked the pharmacist and he says he doesn't know all the contra indications of diamicron but will look into it for me. Until then I am not taking it. We don't get info leaflets with our pills so thats no help there. Always wondered at what stage all the other meds would interreact with each other!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Contra-indications. (Diamicron)
Sulphonylureas should be avoided where possible in acute porphyria. Sulphonylureas are contra-indicated in the presence of ketoacidosis.

If we knew all the other drugs you are taking we might be able to give you more information ?

Ken

annettekp

Hi

We use an Optium Xceed with my little boy. I like it. Depending on the strips you use it takes 10 seconds to measure ketones and 3 or 5 seconds to measure blood sugar.

Annette

rae_j

Among others - warfarin, prednisilone (high dose long term), bp pills, H2 antagonists, thyroxine etc etc. The contras listed are warfarin and prednisilone and there is also mention of platelet action which of course is also not really helpful if you are being anticoagulated!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Your GP should have all your records from your previous one and a computer programme which flags up drug interactions.
Hana