Testing strips - how many do you get?

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Apologies but this is going to be a long post but I'm a bit confused! I was diagnosed as type1 in April this year and after spending a few days in hospital to get my levels down I was sent home with a True Result testing kit and told to test before eating and bedtime and morning. But my GP will only prescribe 100 strips a month so I've had to buy more myself. I've had no support from the hospital or my GP or even been given a DSN to talk to so I've read everything on the Internet and have managed to figure things like my carb to insulin ratio and what I need to eat myself. Two weeks ago had my first HBA1c test and it was with a consultant who was really good and actually talked to me about things. He advised me to move from a basic True Result to a Accu Check test kit. So when I go to my GP on Monday to change my prescription how do I argue I need at least 150 strips a month?
Advice welcome!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
P.s I appreciate that there are a lot of posts regarding the availability of test strips but I was particularly interested because the whole point of the Accu Check is that it monitors carb intake and carbs etc so therefore you have to input data everyday for it to make sense

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for posting that link, I haven't seen that before. A very sensible reminder given that these days the NHS is supposed to be more for a preventative rather than a curative approach to treatment.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I get 200 per month, it's not enough, but my doctors are happy to give me a new prescription early. I've moved about the country a lot during my academic life and when I joined a practice, without even meeting me my new GP reduced my strips from 150 to 100. I kicked up a fuss and moved doctors.

One hundred is no where near enough. If Phoenix's letter doesn't work, then move doctors. Otherwise you can ask to see a diabetes nurse who will change your prescription.

Good luck!

Rockape671

I started off with 50, which was obviously nowhere near enough. I argued that I had to test at least before every meal, before driving, before and after exercise, and before bed. A minimum of 10 a day. So they upped my prescription to 200 which I put in every 3 weeks and so far no problems. I live in Scotland where prescriptions are free for everyone, so don't know if that makes a difference or not.

sw11bloke

I get 200.
100 is NOT enough.
My GP tried to change my meter so that they could put me on cheaper strips but I kicked up a fuss and said no as this new meter was alot bigger in size - like a brick and it was not very discreet. Was white too!!
Ask your diabetic nurse to write them a letter saying that you need 200 strips. if that still does not help, make a complaint to
•your Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG)
•Contact NHS England [email protected]
and copy your local MP into the letter.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I get 300 at a time. I can reorder when I run out, it doesn't seem to be limited, although I am conscious not to take advantage.

sw11bloke

i guess im lucky too in that I just order 200 everytime I need even if its not a full month between prescriptions

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I get 200 strips every 4 weeks, if you don't get any progress with your gp on Monday ask your diabetes consultant to write to the practice and state that you need the requested amount, I had to do this after my gp said I was testing too much.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
drahawkins_1973 said:
Thanks for all the quick replies. I was getting a bit paranoid that I was testing too much. Will let you know how I get on on Monday.

Good luck, be sure to print off the letter that Phoenix posted.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was started on 4 x 50 strips per month, but when I worked out that with my intended tight BG control and having been told to test before and after meals adn befor bedtime, that was 49 strips per week straight off.

I called my doctor and talked through it, and explained that if I'm driving as well, or exercising then that puts it up even further, so we agreed to up my prescription to 6 x 50 strips every 4 weeks. So far that's enough.

I found that once I talked it through with him rationally he was quite happy to make the change.

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
My 9 year old gets 300 a month as multiple injections means she also eats snacks which we need to inject for if she feels hypo or hypo we have to check plus the normal meal times morning and night injections.

Fetchmeacoffee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
busybodies
Pre DAFNE 50 a fortnight - After DAFNE I get about 300 a month

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Fetchmeacoffee said:

So, did you ask your doc to up your prescription after DAFNE or did the course nurse tell your doc you needed more ? I'm not rationed strips and usually get through about 150 a month but I'm doing DAFNE next month so just wondered

Fetchmeacoffee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
busybodies
mo1905 said:
Fetchmeacoffee said:

So, did you ask your doc to up your prescription after DAFNE or did the course nurse tell your doc you needed more ? I'm not rationed strips and usually get through about 150 a month but I'm doing DAFNE next month so just wondered

DSN wrote to my Dr , I wouldn't say I was rationed to start with , she just felt I needed to test more during and after DAFNE , got a new meter that worked for me too though :)

birchy66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My GP has refused to prescribe more than 100 at a time but all I do is put in a repeat prescription when I am down to my last 50 strips (approx 10 days worth). So far this has worked for me. I use a Bayer Contour XT meter which was given to me by my DN at the hospital and I know the strips are expensive but I believe the meter is quite reliable. When I asked for my prescription to be increased to 150 per month my GP refused and offered me a GlucoRx Nexus which takes cheaper strips, but the feedback and test results on this meter appear to be dubious and I declined it. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the GlucoRx but I had built up quite a lot of data on the Bayer and it seems to be consistent. Also the testing is I believe quicker and simpler on the Bayer.

Cupcaake32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Dubstep made in chelsea
I get 200 every 2 weeks but only one box of 100 needles hence putting a repeat through every 2 weeks i have asked for more needles as i do at least 7 injections a day im phoning the pump coordinator on monday to push through my intent on getting a pump but 100 strips even for a type 2 is nowhere near enough

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have 200 on my repeat 'template' and order when ever I need them without restrictions. I test on waking, before meals, prior to driving, if I believe my bg is falling, before bed, during the night if I'm testing my background. Minimum 6 times a day, averaging 8-10 times a day and more when I'm ill.