Type 1 Testing Strips

samowen268

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi all sorry to ask this question, I’m panicking as I have run out of testing strips !! last week we put a prescription through and I overestimated the amount of strips I had, anyway today I realised I had my last one and went straight to the chemist to be told there’s been no order and I had my last box a few weeks ago so I’d probably already had them! I’m not sure what to do and very worried, I’m not sure what to do now with injections and correction doses etc, I have pretty good hypo awareness so that’s not a major concern atm, any advice is really appreciated !! X

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I remember a time when I didn't test much but now I too get a bit panicky if I run out of strips.....

you could try getting an appointment with the GP or failing that go to your hospital clinic....

I would also try and get the chemist to issue an emergency box, but some like to help and others don't.....my chemist don't and like to stick to protocol......even if its insulin......basically they don't know what to do and cant think on their feet...

Reactions: samowen268

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry to hear this @samowen268 ! My doctor would respond well to begging, and there are chemists who will issue an emergency supply. Depending on brand you might even be able to purchase a box over the counter. Yes it will cost you, but weighed up against anxiety about not being able to test I would probably take the hit if I were in your position.

What kind of strips are you after, and what approximate geographical location are you in? I'm asking because there might be a member on here potentially with a box to spare who might feel able to play Good Samaritan.

:)

samowen268

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I remember a time when I didn't test much but now I too get a bit panicky if I run out of strips.....

you could try getting an appointment with the GP or failing that go to your hospital clinic....

I would also try and get the chemist to issue an emergency box, but some like to help and others don't.....my chemist don't and like to stick to protocol......even if its insulin......basically they don't know what to do and cant think on their feet...

Thank you I was thinking of doing the same! I’m just worried I’m running high and feel as though I don’t want to eat anything!

D

Deleted Account

Your doctor should be able to provide an emergency prescription for your test strips.
I am not sure if you are suggesting your pharmacy does not have the strips in stock. If this is the case, I would check other pharmacies in your area.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Your usual chemist should be able to provide an emergency box.