1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Testing

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Listlad, Dec 25, 2019.

1. Listlad

Listlad Prediabetes · BANNED

This gentleman tweeted this message yesterday. He is the Associate Director Head of Medicines Management at the NHS in Somerset.

FC695F37-14F3-4A76-BB1B-5F1CEC9C4B3C.jpeg

2. britishpub

britishpub Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I’m guessing he’s not a Rocket Scientist

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

He's an oddity.. sometimes engages on twitter yet when asked more detailed things often he goes away or goes silent..

Maybe we should ask him how anyone could know this without testing somewhere along the line?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Listlad

This question has been asked of him. Perhaps if a lot of us do likewise then he might sit up and listen?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

I have tried to engage with him a number of times.. feel free to try but he runs away..

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. Listlad

If I was in the Somerset region I might be inclined to want to convey a message or two to him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I thought your stance on testing was in agreement with his?

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. Listlad

Where did you get that idea?

9. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

From several of your previous posts where members advised you to get a meter.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Listlad

So I will repeat myself.

I totally agree with the idea of using a meter for T2 and Prediabetics. They provide supporting evidence for both the individual and health practitioners for using a LCHF solution leading to symptom reversal.

With that it would be nice to see all efforts focussed on persuading people like Shaun Green to give testing the green light.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    #10 Listlad, Dec 26, 2019 at 5:58 AM
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
  11. DavidGrahamJones

DavidGrahamJones Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Have I misread the original post. He's not saying you don't need to test, but he is saying you don't need to test to see that eating sugar and carbs (bread, potato, crisps, chips, rice, cakes, biscuits, pizza etc) will raise your BG. Is that what they call logical semantics?

Or, in other words, if you eat those things, your BG will rise. Seems pretty obvious but maybe some need reminding.

I wonder if the etc is a catchall

• Agree Agree x 6
  12. Listlad

He is well known for being an advocate of T2’s and Prediabetics not using test meters.

13. Listlad

His tweet is in response to “Liz Hancocks” tweet.

Anyhow, obviously there isn’t much of an appetite to resolve his stance on testing. It may just be that he has summarised NHS future policy.

14. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

He is right in the context of you don't need to test to know what eating those foods will do to your bg levels (They will rise a lot as we know), but by what margin you won't know if not testing. This applies to a lot of food choices and volumes consumed.

Perhaps his stance of not needing to test is to create controversy which in turn generates attention? I'd skip what he says personally.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Expert

His linkedin page is a bit sparse, not sure what his qualification is I think he may be a pharmacist but that's a guess.

He does not seem to appreciate that testing tells you which of the things in his little list effect you the most and just how high your bloods may go and for how long.

I suppose he would just jump into a hot bath without checking the temperature first as he knows it's hot and that's all you need to know.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  16. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

That's a great way of putting it :D

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Listlad

I checked his LinkedIn page too. He seems to be in a high enough position to do some damage...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. searley

searley Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Technically he is right you know they will raise blood sugar and we dont need to test to know that.. he is stating the obvious.

But he misses the point that those that want to try and eat healthy and stay healthy do better when testing and seeing how those things are affecting them and for how long

I think it's very short sighted trying to save a few pounds now by limiting testing as it will only cost in the long term

I think it's terrible that for over 20years I've paid over £75 a week national insurance and never needed the NHS. I'm still paying that amount. Like many others and it seems supplies are being rationed everywhere..

Im due an arguement with my gp as he has removed lancets from my prescription

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Listlad

From his tweets he agrees that low carb is the solution. But he doesn’t (again from his tweets) seem to agree with the idea of patients testing their own blood sugars.

His remit appears to be in the management of medicines within the NHS in Somerset overall so one wonders if that might be why he is against testing.....

Deputy Director of Clinical Effectiveness and Medicines Management”

• Agree Agree x 1
    #19 Listlad, Dec 27, 2019 at 5:34 PM
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  20. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Expert

Well the upshot is he's wrong and we are right problem is he's one of the people making it hard for people to do what they need to do.

Even the NICE guidelines recognise a need for testing even if they are not willing to supply all diabetics with meters because of cost.

• Agree Agree x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook