Testing

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This gentleman tweeted this message yesterday. He is the Associate Director Head of Medicines Management at the NHS in Somerset.

FC695F37-14F3-4A76-BB1B-5F1CEC9C4B3C.jpeg

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
He's an oddity.. sometimes engages on twitter yet when asked more detailed things often he goes away or goes silent..

Maybe we should ask him how anyone could know this without testing somewhere along the line?

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
He's an oddity.. sometimes engages on twitter yet when asked more detailed things often he goes away or goes silent..

Maybe we should ask him how anyone could know this without testing somewhere along the line?
This question has been asked of him. Perhaps if a lot of us do likewise then he might sit up and listen?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have tried to engage with him a number of times.. feel free to try but he runs away..

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If I was in the Somerset region I might be inclined to want to convey a message or two to him.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
If I was in the Somerset region I might be inclined to want to convey a message or two to him.
I thought your stance on testing was in agreement with his?

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
From several of your previous posts where members advised you to get a meter.
So I will repeat myself.

I totally agree with the idea of using a meter for T2 and Prediabetics. They provide supporting evidence for both the individual and health practitioners for using a LCHF solution leading to symptom reversal.

With that it would be nice to see all efforts focussed on persuading people like Shaun Green to give testing the green light.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnEGreen

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Have I misread the original post. He's not saying you don't need to test, but he is saying you don't need to test to see that eating sugar and carbs (bread, potato, crisps, chips, rice, cakes, biscuits, pizza etc) will raise your BG. Is that what they call logical semantics?

Or, in other words, if you eat those things, your BG will rise. Seems pretty obvious but maybe some need reminding.

I wonder if the etc is a catchall

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have I misread the original post. He's not saying you don't need to test, but he is saying you don't need to test to see that eating sugar and carbs (bread, potato, crisps, chips, rice, cakes, biscuits, pizza etc) will raise your BG. Is that what they call logical semantics?

Or, in other words, if you eat those things, your BG will rise. Seems pretty obvious but maybe some need reminding.

I wonder if the etc is a catchall
He is well known for being an advocate of T2’s and Prediabetics not using test meters.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
His tweet is in response to “Liz Hancocks” tweet.

Anyhow, obviously there isn’t much of an appetite to resolve his stance on testing. It may just be that he has summarised NHS future policy.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
His tweet is in response to “Liz Hancocks” tweet.

Anyhow, obviously there isn’t much of an appetite to resolve his stance on testing. It may just be that he has summarised NHS future policy.

He is right in the context of you don't need to test to know what eating those foods will do to your bg levels (They will rise a lot as we know), but by what margin you won't know if not testing. This applies to a lot of food choices and volumes consumed.

Perhaps his stance of not needing to test is to create controversy which in turn generates attention? I'd skip what he says personally.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
His linkedin page is a bit sparse, not sure what his qualification is I think he may be a pharmacist but that's a guess.

He does not seem to appreciate that testing tells you which of the things in his little list effect you the most and just how high your bloods may go and for how long.

I suppose he would just jump into a hot bath without checking the temperature first as he knows it's hot and that's all you need to know.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
His linkedin page is a bit sparse, not sure what his qualification is I think he may be a pharmacist but that's a guess.

He does not seem to appreciate that testing tells you which of the things in his little list effect you the most and just how high your bloods may go and for how long.

I suppose he would just jump into a hot bath without checking the temperature first as he knows it's hot and that's all you need to know.

That's a great way of putting it :D

Reactions: Evie-D

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I checked his LinkedIn page too. He seems to be in a high enough position to do some damage...

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Technically he is right you know they will raise blood sugar and we dont need to test to know that.. he is stating the obvious.

But he misses the point that those that want to try and eat healthy and stay healthy do better when testing and seeing how those things are affecting them and for how long

I think it's very short sighted trying to save a few pounds now by limiting testing as it will only cost in the long term

I think it's terrible that for over 20years I've paid over £75 a week national insurance and never needed the NHS. I'm still paying that amount. Like many others and it seems supplies are being rationed everywhere..

Im due an arguement with my gp as he has removed lancets from my prescription

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
From his tweets he agrees that low carb is the solution. But he doesn’t (again from his tweets) seem to agree with the idea of patients testing their own blood sugars.

His remit appears to be in the management of medicines within the NHS in Somerset overall so one wonders if that might be why he is against testing.....

Deputy Director of Clinical Effectiveness and Medicines Management”

Last edited:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Well the upshot is he's wrong and we are right problem is he's one of the people making it hard for people to do what they need to do.

Even the NICE guidelines recognise a need for testing even if they are not willing to supply all diabetics with meters because of cost.