Testing

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Technically he is right you know they will raise blood sugar and we dont need to test to know that.. he is stating the obvious.

But he misses the point that those that want to try and eat healthy and stay healthy do better when testing and seeing how those things are affecting them and for how long

I think it's very short sighted trying to save a few pounds now by limiting testing as it will only cost in the long term

I think it's terrible that for over 20years I've paid over £75 a week national insurance and never needed the NHS. I'm still paying that amount. Like many others and it seems supplies are being rationed everywhere..

Im due an arguement with my gp as he has removed lancets from my prescription

Whilst we all understand the impact of carbs on our bloods, did you have the same idea when you were freshly diagnosed? I have a scientific background, and had a steroid induced T2 Dad, so I had a small clue, but not anything near what I needed to know - even at that basic level. So, for me, the issue isn't what the majority of we longer-standing non-insulin-dependent or light-weight meds need, but what the newly diagnosed, and some heading in the wrong direction need.

I'm also at a bit of a loss how any of us here could say we've never needed the NHS. Until my more recent issues with my thyroid, I was a very rare caller upon my GP, or other services, but for anyone living with a long term condition, we do need the NHS. As a T1, it's likely you've had lots of tests and these days monthly prescriptions for test strips, insulin and perhaps other supplies.

Searley, I'm absolutely not having a go at you, but I do think we each need to be mindful of what we do get back from the NHS. Some days/weeks/months/years we're very much in credit, and others very much in debit.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Whilst we all understand the impact of carbs on our bloods, did you have the same idea when you were freshly diagnosed? I have a scientific background, and had a steroid induced T2 Dad, so I had a small clue, but not anything near what I needed to know - even at that basic level. So, for me, the issue isn't what the majority of we longer-standing non-insulin-dependent or light-weight meds need, but what the newly diagnosed, and some heading in the wrong direction need.

I'm also at a bit of a loss how any of us here could say we've never needed the NHS. Until my more recent issues with my thyroid, I was a very rare caller upon my GP, or other services, but for anyone living with a long term condition, we do need the NHS. As a T1, it's likely you've had lots of tests and these days monthly prescriptions for test strips, insulin and perhaps other supplies.

Searley, I'm absolutely not having a go at you, but I do think we each need to be mindful of what we do get back from the NHS. Some days/weeks/months/years we're very much in credit, and others very much in debit.
Agreed. Like any type of insurance I am happiest when I don't need to make a claim.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake

I'm not saying we dont need the NHS I very much need the nhs.. what's I'm saying is from 15 to 35 I was paying into the system and never used it and now I have to argue to get the basics like lancets

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Technically he is right you know they will raise blood sugar and we dont need to test to know that.. he is stating the obvious.

But he misses the point that those that want to try and eat healthy and stay healthy do better when testing and seeing how those things are affecting them and for how long

I think it's very short sighted trying to save a few pounds now by limiting testing as it will only cost in the long term

I think it's terrible that for over 20years I've paid over £75 a week national insurance and never needed the NHS. I'm still paying that amount. Like many others and it seems supplies are being rationed everywhere..

Im due an arguement with my gp as he has removed lancets from my prescription
Hi Searly. I joined Twitter a good few years back, chiefly to try and get access to a certain Iain Stewart who’s TV productions I have admired and enjoyed for some years. Other than that it has never been used. That is until recently. And it is through Twitter that this gentleman in the tweet in the opening post came to my attention. If you are already a member of Twitter, you have the option of getting your point across to someone that might well have some impact on at least some of this forum’s members and others when it comes to testing and testing equipment and accessories.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Without testing I would not know that legumes are not for me, along with just about everything carby over 10 percent by weight -without testing those able to eat oats, or beans or whatever it is they can cope with would not know for sure that they are OK.
We are all different, and fine tuning diet can be important for many - it could be a life saver for some.
I'd certainly have trouble with my decision not to take tablets if I did not have the evidence of low blood glucose after eating - all the nurses pressuring me backed off at once when I showed them my meter readings of 5.6 AFTER eating - one even said that it was good when she thought it was a reading before eating.

lindisfel

Expert
Could it be he is taking a position in which all the control reverts to the medical professional? Some do not like intelligent amateurs, they prefer to have the reins.
Look at the education programme involved.

There are cost implications of saying everyone has to have a meter, if it is given as a recommendation and the vast majority are perhaps not self motivated enough to take action and keep testing.

It an easy way out to just stress refined carbs increase b.g. it's cost free.
D.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think he’s right to some extent - yes we know that bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, sugar etc will raise bg so we avoid them....BUT what about skimmed milk, low fat yoghurt, bananas, ‘healthy whole grain’ breakfast cereal and all the other foods the NHS dietary guidelines tell us to eat? If we didn’t test we wouldn’t realise what a load of poppycock those guidelines are.

Reactions: Lotties

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm another who tests regularly. Now most of my food has very low/no carbs, however, I test for knowledge and also it reminds me how important I keep to the low carb. I find that regular good feedback helps keep me on the straight and narrow- even when it tells me things I would rather not hear- eg I really don't tolerate peanut butter as much as I wish I did. I hope some day- in the far distance to use testing to be able to increase my carbs to something like 50 grams a day Without testing I would have no idea if that was ever doable

I also think that now days with the internet and the large resource that gives for research on a basic level encouraging patients to have more information and take responsibility for their own health to some degree that the medical profession should push testing more. I'm hopeful that one day when they realise type 2 doesn't have to be progressive and certainly not as they currently expect that testing will be pushed by the medical profession and become expected.

Reactions: Lotties

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There is no doubt that within the “four walls” of this forum there is unanimous agreement on testing for T2’s and Prediabetics. It seems that the big wide world outside needs the persuading.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It turns out this chap Shaun Green reversed his ow diabetes, according to his tweets.

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think he’s right to some extent - yes we know that bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, sugar etc will raise bg so we avoid them....BUT what about skimmed milk, low fat yoghurt, bananas, ‘healthy whole grain’ breakfast cereal and all the other foods the NHS dietary guidelines tell us to eat? If we didn’t test we wouldn’t realise what a load of poppycock those guidelines are.
In the news, test trial in Scotland- oatmeal & banana fot breakfast... it was reported in the Daily Mail though.
Edit: apparently oatmeal & lentils but DM showed a stock picture.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In the news, test trial in Scotland- oatmeal & banana fot breakfast... it was reported in the Daily Mail though.

Used to be a frequent favourite breakfast for me ..... until I started testing!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
It turns out this chap Shaun Green reversed his ow diabetes, according to his tweets.
Yes and I climbed Mount Everest with both hands tied behind my back. And then reversed my diabetes without testing and I leap with one bound over the tallest buildings.

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There is no doubt that within the “four walls” of this forum there is unanimous agreement on testing for T2’s and Prediabetics. It seems that the big wide world outside needs the persuading.
I wish I could have started testing in my early 20's instead of spending 'mumble mumble' decades and lots of cash on supplements that I never knew whether they worked or not.
Testing would have been way cheaper & healthier for me as I have never had an eating disorder unless you count orthorexia (that fruitarIan, low-carb, carnivore and fasting were called by one of my registrars)

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wish I could have started testing in my early 20's instead of spending 'mumble mumble' decades and lots of cash on supplements that I never knew whether they worked or not.
Testing would have been way cheaper & healthier for me as I have never had an eating disorder unless you count orthorexia (that fruitarIan, low-carb, carnivore and fasting were called by one of my registrars)
I have a sneaking suspicion that in the future it will become fashionable to wear a Freestyle Libre.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
That would open up a nice sideline selling fake sensors just to wear for show.