Testing

sharonsw

Hi all

I've been here before but not too much. I've decided to start taking the metformin prescribed by the doctor. Main reason is they're not providing me with any way of monitoring so I haven't been. It's my post meal sugars that are a problem.

Anyway, I'm thinking I ought to actually get organised with testing and wonder how many times a day I should do this. I've got a monitor - had one prescribed when I had gestational diabetes (actually I've got another one somewhere as well) but the testing strips are obviously out of date. Where's best to get them - I've got a one touch ultra easy. Is this the best one to have and use or can someone suggest what I should be using.

Diet sorting and monitoring coming up properly.

Thanks
Sharon

SparkJack

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm type 2 and have been refused a meter and strips by the doctor so I have to buy my own. Researched on web and it was cheaper to buy a new meter and strips rather than match strips to an older meter I was given by a friend.
I use a Care Sens meter and strips from Spirit Healthcare Ltd. They are a very friendly company based in Leicester.
50 strips = £12.75 .I order 3 boxes a month.(oh well many moons ago I probably used to spend this amount a month on chocolate.)
I test before a meal and 2 hours after. The early morning one for me is always on the high side (dawn phenomenon?) and I only did the one before bedtime for a week out of curiosity.
I am not testing if I am out for the day as no danger of hypo etc at mo.
Hope this helps.